PDA

View Full Version : Should Apple make Core Animation Easier?

allbrokeup
Jun 20, 2008, 10:10 PM
Hello all,

I am just posting this out of minor frustration at Apple.

I think Apple should make the use of Core Animation in Cocoa/Carbon/ASS Applications MUCH MUCH MUCH easier. For example, how we do it in Keynote. If we had the same CA settings in Interface Builder as Keynote, we would see many many more intuitive applications on the market or for download using Core Animation and it would maybe entice more developers to start adopting the Mac Development Platform because they can create Animations easier and on a greater scale.

So, overall...

Do you think that Apple should make Core Animation easier to use?

Cheers!

allbrokeup.
:apple::eek::mad::apple:

kpua
Jun 20, 2008, 11:30 PM
How do you mean 'easier'? [[view animator] setFrame:newFrame], etc. is pretty darn easy...

rev316
Jun 21, 2008, 12:30 AM
What?!?

You should see how we use to do it...

Catfish_Man
Jun 21, 2008, 03:19 AM
Half (three quarters? more?) of the appeal of Core Animation is that it's so easy relative to most other animation APIs.

Sbrocket
Jun 21, 2008, 05:17 AM
I think Apple should make the use of Core Animation in Cocoa/Carbon/ASS Applications MUCH MUCH MUCH easier. For example, how we do it in Keynote.

/facepalm

CoreAnimation is both a technology and a Cocoa framework. This is not some consumer application. I mean...this just boggles me. Coding isn't whipping up a new application in some application like Pages - programming takes time, effort, and knowledge.

If we had the same CA settings in Interface Builder as Keynote, we would see many many more intuitive applications on the market or for download using Core Animation and it would maybe entice more developers to start adopting the Mac Development Platform because they can create Animations easier and on a greater scale.

If a "developer" can't figure out how to utilize the simplicity of CoreAnimation, I highly doubt we're going to see anything intuitive (maybe you mean innovative?) out of them any time soon. Seriously.

CoreAnimation is like super-easy to use. I can't see how you'd make it easier.

:confused:

Cromulent
Jun 21, 2008, 06:01 AM
Try using straight OpenGL versus using Core Animation and then say Core Animation needs to be easier.

Krevnik
Jun 21, 2008, 08:39 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the IB options to control CoreAnimation yet. :)

Sbrocket
Jun 21, 2008, 12:28 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the IB options to control CoreAnimation yet. :)

That would be because I despise IB for iPhone work, so I've never come across them before. :o