Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarheel23

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I'm thinking about selling my ibook G4 and using the money towards buying a Macbook for the upcoming school year. I have no clue where my operating cd is, and I'm nervous about selling my ibook w/o wiping it clean, since I've had credit card info and other stuff on my mac. Does anyone know how I can wipe it clean to sell?

Also (sorry for the long thread post), how much do used ibook G4's go for? I bought my ibook in October 2005, its in good shape except for missing the bottom footpads and one of the pads on the upper left screen. Does anyone have experience with this....is it better to sell on ebay, craigslist, or what site would y'all recommend?

*ooops, just realized the spelling mistake in the title. Sorry about that

** And I just also realized I should've stated the specs for my ibook G4. It's a 12" ibook Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM (I added 1gb ram).

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
If you are worried just buy a new/used hard drive for it and then install a fresh OS on that and keep your current drive, that being said if you don't want to buy a new drive you could always zero out the current one and install fresh on that. In my opinion the peace of mind that makes the 2% chance that someone could find a way to get your information off an old drive as opposed to a 0% chance with a new hdd is worth the price of the hdd.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Formatting the hard drive with the "zero drive" option, which basically does exactly that -- writes zeros to the entire drive surface -- is sufficient to protect from any sort of data theft. You can even have Disk Utility do a 35-pass format if you have CIA secrets on your computer and are extra paranoid! No need to purchase a new hard drive, and the probablilities given by cyclingplatypus are just silly, made-up numbers.

You will need an OS X installation disk however. While booted from an installation disk, select disk utility from the menu (which depends on which version of OS X you're installing, but it's very easy to find nonetheless), select your hard drive on the left in the Disk Utility window, click on the "erase" tab, click the "security options" button and choose to zero the disk. Click "ok' and then click the final "erase" button to do the job. After that, continue with the installation of OS X.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Wiping the drive currently in the computer also means that you don't have to do major surgery to get it out.

Zeroing will do the trick, but as aqua pointed out, if you're feeling paranoid, do the 35-pass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.