PDA

View Full Version : macs and your education

macaddict123k
May 13, 2002, 08:28 PM
What is everyone's education h.s, college, grad, med, law school, and what school.
Me-9th grade at phuhs

Wildcat
May 13, 2002, 09:40 PM
I'm a sophomore at the University of Arizona. Im in the Media Arts Program going for my BA.

jefhatfield
May 13, 2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by macaddict123k
What is everyone's education h.s, college, grad, med, law school, and what school.
Me-9th grade at phuhs

you asked us all, but what is phuhs ;-)

carmel high school 20 years ago...in northern california

we are going to have our 20th reunion and most of the guys are fat and the women aged much better and look great...from a safe distance ;-)

then ten years of slacking and being a rock and roll musician then 2 college degrees and some grad school in tax law and entertainment business management, but now focused on computers...but not macs though

3rdpath
May 14, 2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
ten years of slacking and being a rock and roll musician

its only slacking if you're doing it right.....:D

myself, class of '79 jjphs. '85 ba finance. man do i feel old....

Beej
May 14, 2002, 03:05 AM
I'll finish my Bachelor of Computer Science in about 6 months. Can't wait.

kishba
May 14, 2002, 05:12 AM
i'm a junior in high school at a great public school :)

Ouroboros
May 14, 2002, 05:26 AM
Went to University of California Santa Barbara and graduated in 1996. I'm now in the Bay Area and currently a freelance Flash/Web Designer. Speaking of which, anyone need one???

macaddict123k
May 14, 2002, 05:36 AM

you asked us all, but what is phuhs ;-)

phuhs-palm harbor university high school. i have no clue why there is a university in our name

Ensign Paris
May 14, 2002, 05:54 AM
I am in year 10 at a UK secondary school (15 years old)

Ensign

eyelikeart
May 14, 2002, 10:39 AM
I have an Associate's Degree in Computer Graphic Design from a Private Tech School...

and I have recently returned to college (University of New Orleans) to finish my Bachelors which I left off 4 years ago...and will be pursuing my Masters once I am finished my undergraduate...

I also plan on getting Certification from Apple later this year... :D

mcrain
May 15, 2002, 09:04 AM
Public High School in rural Illinois.
U of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
U of Illinois law school
Private practice for 4 years
Government tax attorney 1 year
Work has been the best education so far.

I'm married to:
Public high school in rural Illinois
U of Illinois Biology
South Illinois University School of Medicine
Graduates Sunday.

Vilacr
May 15, 2002, 09:13 AM
Tuskegee University Chemical Engineering
Tuskegee University M.S. Environmental Engineering

iGav
May 15, 2002, 09:24 AM
High School 90-94
College BTEC in Graphic Design 94-96
University BA(Hons) in Design and interactive Media. 96-99

All consecutive, no years out or anything..... shortest route possible to get into the big, bad design world......

Although I'm now considering doing either an MA in Hypermedia at Westminster or doing a Industrial Product Design course........ depends if I get the time.....

Macmaniac
May 15, 2002, 10:51 AM
High School Freshman! Pres of my class.

jefhatfield
May 15, 2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by mcrain
Public High School in rural Illinois.
U of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
U of Illinois law school
Private practice for 4 years
Government tax attorney 1 year
Work has been the best education so far.

I'm married to:
Public high school in rural Illinois
U of Illinois Biology
South Illinois University School of Medicine
Graduates Sunday.

again, congrats on your wife's completion of her education...i take it you met at the university of illinois

college is the best place to meet a spouse...i met mine when she came to apply for a job in my freelance business...all the women i met in college, where i took classes at night while i worked in the day, were ten years older than me or taken so i had to wait until the working world...he he:D

ps - not too many single or young women at school in the evening schedules...mostly working folk with families

mcrain
May 15, 2002, 12:47 PM
again, congrats on your wife's completion of her education...i take it you met at the university of illinois

Ha, actually no, I met her on a beach in Florida. We happened to live near each other. We dated while she was in high school, and we chose the same undergrad/law school so we could get hitched.

:)

King Cobra
May 15, 2002, 03:04 PM
Right now, I am at Pascack Hills as a Junior and at age 16. And as sad as it seems, not one person excpet Yours Truly is using Macs.

After my senior year I will be going to the University of Southern Maine, where there is a small computer lab, half full with G4s. I did notice one guy using a DELL Sour (not an Apple Power Mac TOWER) and he got fustrated with the mouse.

My point is that I will probably enjoy being there late in 2003. :)

Any time is a great time for iPod.

AlphaTech
May 15, 2002, 03:19 PM
Graduated in 1993 with a BFA in graphic design. Used that for a while, until I could break into the tech field. Now I am a Mac/peecee tech full time.

eyelikeart
May 15, 2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Graduated in 1993 with a BFA in graphic design. Used that for a while, until I could break into the tech field. Now I am a Mac/peecee tech full time.

u know that's possibly where I may be headed eventually...

I'm doing the graphic design thing for now...but I'm not sure where I want to be in another 10 years?! :confused: :eek:

jelloshotsrule
May 15, 2002, 04:49 PM
not sure what all we're supposed to say. but.

catholic high school in nj.

nyu. going to senior year now. majoring in film/television. specializing in animation. specializing within that in computer animation.. booyah

lucs
May 15, 2002, 04:55 PM
Stage 1: kindergarten to 8th grade @ Escola Terra Mater in Sao Bernardo do Campo, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Stage 2: 9th grade to 10th grade and a half @ Colegio Bandeirantes in Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Stage 3: 11th grade to 12th grade @ American School Foundation in Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

Stage 4: Freshman at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois....

......whew.....so young, yet so traveled :)

stevev
May 15, 2002, 05:15 PM
1976 private school LA, Cal.
1981 BA U.C.
1986 J.D. U.C.

1986 Bar license, State Bar of California
employed by
City and County of SF
County of Marin
U.S. Dept. of Justice
State of California (still am)

Macs are my hobby. I've been using Apple computers since 1984. Went online in 1992. Got my G4 400 2 years ago!

jefhatfield
May 15, 2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by stevev
1976 private school LA, Cal.
1981 BA U.C.
1986 J.D. U.C.

1986 Bar license, State Bar of California
employed by
City and County of SF
County of Marin
U.S. Dept. of Justice
State of California (still am)

Macs are my hobby. I've been using Apple computers since 1984. Went online in 1992. Got my G4 400 2 years ago!

welcome counselor, i can't wait to see you and macrain, also a lawyer, get into one of our famous macrumors debates

we are a very friendly community here despite some of the 4 letter words that pop up...check out the threads we have going on macs and politics, v.2, and the constitution...he he

arn
May 15, 2002, 08:56 PM
1992-1996 Columbia Univeristy, BA in Computer Science
1996-2000 Medical College of Virginia, M.D.
2000-current UNC/Chapel Hill - Internal Medicine Residency

arn

cleo
May 16, 2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by arn

2000-current UNC/Chapel Hill - Internal Medicine Residency

My best friend lives in Chapel Hill!

(happy at making random connection to arn) :D

arn
May 16, 2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by cleo

My best friend lives in Chapel Hill!

(happy at making random connection to arn) :D

what do they do?

arn

cleo
May 16, 2002, 11:22 AM
Heh, she just mooches off her parents. Her dad is a prof at Duke. :D Her older brother is in tech, but I'm not sure where/what.

cleo
May 16, 2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
I am in year 10 at a UK secondary school (15 years old)

Ensign

Wow, that comes as a surprise to me. For some reason I always assumed you were in your mid 20's...

Taft
May 16, 2002, 11:43 AM
I graduated in 2000 from a University in a barren tundra nearly devoid of women. Where you ask? Michigan Technological University. Graduated in CS.

I've been working in Chicago for trading firms ever since. Options have been berry good to me.

Taft

agreenster
May 16, 2002, 11:43 AM
Graduate from Public HS in Northern Indiana (Salutatorian) 1998
BA of Arts from the University of Saint Francis (N. Indiana)(High Honors) Concentration in Computer Animation. 2002 (yeah, like a week ago)

Seeking further employment in the 3D animation field in Southern CA.

jefhatfield
May 16, 2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by agreenster
Graduate from Public HS in Northern Indiana (Salutatorian) 1998
BA of Arts from the University of Saint Francis (N. Indiana)(High Honors) Concentration in Computer Animation. 2002 (yeah, like a week ago)

Seeking further employment in the 3D animation field in Southern CA.

congrats

i heard they make movies or something in los angeles, but that's the other end of a long state;)

agreenster
May 16, 2002, 12:01 PM
Thanks!

Yeah, my fiancee and I have made several trips to LA and Im considering E.A. as a possible first position, but my dreams are Pixar or Dreamworks or ImageWorks. We'll see. Lots of decisions to be made in the next couple months.

jefhatfield
May 16, 2002, 12:14 PM
Thanks!

Yeah, my fiancee and I have made several trips to LA and Im considering E.A. as a possible first position, but my dreams are Pixar or Dreamworks or ImageWorks. We'll see. Lots of decisions to be made in the next couple months.

that is so exciting

but what is an e.a.?

when i was in grad school trying to figure out a niche as a tax lawyer or accountant/cpa or both, another tax profession in the field was an e.a., or enrolled agent

all three of these fields (tax lawyer, cpa, e.a.) paid extremely well during tax season...my friend's mom, an e.a., worked only one month a year and in that month doing taxes, she made over 20 grand! and her being retired and owning a house free and clear, she had it made in the shade, so to speak

but now that you know one meaning of the term e.a., i assume you're thinking of something in the film industy and i can't think of what e.a. stands for

ok, i think i got it...e.a. - excellent animator;)

agreenster
May 16, 2002, 12:20 PM
he he! WAY off. But thats okay.

I was referring to EA, or Electronic Arts. They are a huge video gaming company in LA (among other cities) and I think doing 3D animating/modeling in this industry will help out for future endeavors in film. I dont know though. I havent done any major pursuing yet. -Still polishing up the ol demo reel.

Most major film studios want some more experience, rather than just picking up a college grad. I think Im ready for studio work, but video games are a back up in case I cant find a job. The skills required for both are very, very similar.

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 12:24 PM
agreenster...

got any work up on the web we coudl check out? i'm sure myself and duke and teabgs (and others) would love to see it, as the 3 of us at least are into 3D... let us know.

agreenster
May 16, 2002, 12:26 PM
My senior project (3d animated film, about 5 minutes long) is 99% finished. I have to polish up a few things, and then it will be online. Ill let you all know ASAP!!

Thanks for the interest!

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 12:27 PM
how was it working on that? all year or what? using what app? what computers? by yourself or in a group? etc.

i'll be doing mine next year. a whole year. with maya (on sgi/nt-possibly macs but doubtful). and with at least one other person (i hope).

looking forward to seeing it.

jefhatfield
May 16, 2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
how was it working on that? all year or what? using what app? what computers? by yourself or in a group? etc.

i'll be doing mine next year. a whole year. with maya (on sgi/nt-possibly macs but doubtful). and with at least one other person (i hope).

looking forward to seeing it.

hey, are you an sva guy? my wife went there...i know, there are a lot of good schools in the east near you for the arts...pratt, parsons, risd, cooper union, columbia, nyu, etc...;)

agreenster
May 16, 2002, 12:36 PM
1. how was it working on that?

Hard. Very Hard.

2. all year or what?

June of 2001 to April of 2002

3. using what app?

Cinema4D (because I could use it at home on my macs, and cost) This was before maya for the mac came out. If I were to do it again, I would definitely use Maya.

4. what computers?

Mine: 550 TiBook (animation) 400mHz G4 (editing, final output, some rendering)
School: DP 800mHz G4 (rendering) 2 single 867 G4's (rendering)

5. by yourself or in a group?

Solo. If I had to do it again, I would definitely get a partner.

Im currently working on a project with a team of about 10 people making a pilot for a short film series. Should fill up my summer while I look for work. The leader of our group has worked for prestigious studios such as Santa Barbara Studios, Tippett Studios, and has worked on films such as HollowMan, Starship Troopers, etc.

It was a tough project, but rewarding. It looks good, but still has a student feel. Thats why Im polishing it up, and working on more walk cycles and fundamental animation to add to the demo reel.

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 12:38 PM

hey, are you an sva guy? my wife went there...i know, there are a lot of good schools in the east near you for the arts...pratt, parsons, risd, cooper union, columbia, nyu, etc...;)

how quickly we forget.... at some point (i think in the how macs affected our careers or something thread) i mentioned how macs got me into graphics and thus into such and such...

and you said to be proud of going to nyu. even though i didn't mention it by name... so much for being a good detective. ha.

so yeah, i'm at nyu. me and teabgs. i'll be doing my 3D "thesis" project next year.... i need a story first. ha

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 12:49 PM

Im currently working on a project with a team of about 10 people making a pilot for a short film series. Should fill up my summer while I look for work. The leader of our group has worked for prestigious studios such as Santa Barbara Studios, Tippett Studios, and has worked on films such as HollowMan, Starship Troopers, etc.

It was a tough project, but rewarding. It looks good, but still has a student feel. Thats why Im polishing it up, and working on more walk cycles and fundamental animation to add to the demo reel.

I've just found in the past months a great resource for all things animation/3D

www.cgtalk.com

Truly impressive and a great forum as well. I've picked up a bunch of really good tips just by browsing the forums, the level of experience and talent in those forums is amazing.

Jello, go take a look specifically to get some ideas for an animation. If you can't come back without something I'd be surprised.

D

jefhatfield
May 16, 2002, 01:40 PM

how quickly we forget.... at some point (i think in the how macs affected our careers or something thread) i mentioned how macs got me into graphics and thus into such and such...

and you said to be proud of going to nyu. even though i didn't mention it by name... so much for being a good detective. ha.

so yeah, i'm at nyu. me and teabgs. i'll be doing my 3D "thesis" project next year.... i need a story first. ha

doh. that's right...you are the nyu guy...he he

make us proud:D

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 02:05 PM

doh. that's right...you are the nyu guy...he he

make us proud:D

i'll try. but i'm kind of a sack of crap. ask duke. he'll tell you how i'm failing the current collaboration hopes... haha. or something

Mr. Anderson
May 16, 2002, 04:35 PM

i'll try. but i'm kind of a sack of crap. ask duke. he'll tell you how i'm failing the current collaboration hopes... haha. or something

yep, total slacker, or something:rolleyes:

What is you're deal there jello? Its only just potential until you actually do something.....

jelloshotsrule
May 16, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
yep, total slacker, or something:rolleyes:

What is you're deal there jello? Its only just potential until you actually do something.....

i don't think i'm as big a slacker as i let on.

with school i just put stuff off, which is dumb.

as far as other stuff, right now i have to find a job or else my crazy mom will jump all over me for not looking. once that happens, i can at least use my spare time to do something worthwhile with myself...

and hey, i never said i had potential. :p

mcrain
May 17, 2002, 09:33 AM
A friend of mine was one of the producer's on Forces of Nature, and did the DVD audio track commentary for that movie. Let me know when you get your short done, maybe he'd be interested in taking a look at it. (Big maybe)

Mr. Anderson
May 17, 2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by mcrain
A friend of mine was one of the producer's on Forces of Nature, and did the DVD audio track commentary for that movie. Let me know when you get your short done, maybe he'd be interested in taking a look at it. (Big maybe)

The short will be a simple little thing. Once we get it done we'll put it on an iDisk and you can all look at it. I'm thinking it won't be done until the middle of the summer, a couple of months. We just came up with the concept this morning.

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 10:51 AM
i just remembered that the producer i worked for the last couple months supposedly produced the u2 video "one"... but i don't know

not that he's famous for it. but it's kinda neat.

could be false though. he's a talker.

as for our short, we'll see. i have a meeting with george next tuesday to pitch the idea... hopefully he'll like it..

george being george lucas and me being a jackass.

jefhatfield
May 17, 2002, 11:28 AM

i don't think i'm as big a slacker as i let on.

with school i just put stuff off, which is dumb.

as far as other stuff, right now i have to find a job or else my crazy mom will jump all over me for not looking. once that happens, i can at least use my spare time to do something worthwhile with myself...

and hey, i never said i had potential. :p

i invented the term slacker...he he...i changed my major in college twice before finishing and took more than ten years to graduate...and all this and being a baby boomer...not even gen-x:p

and i am good at putting off homework...two good skills to have...be good at on the cuff bs essays like macrumors is...and develop a photographic memory which could be emptied soon after the test...dat's the ticket in undergrad school...don't try this in grad school...it don't work

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 11:46 AM

i invented the term slacker...he he...i changed my major in college twice before finishing and took more than ten years to graduate...and all this and being a baby boomer...not even gen-x:p

and i am good at putting off homework...two good skills to have...be good at on the cuff bs essays like macrumors is...and develop a photographic memory which could be emptied soon after the test...dat's the ticket in undergrad school...don't try this in grad school...it don't work

ahh yes. good times.

well, i'm doubting i'll go to grad school... for computer animation it just seems like experience/work is the key... so that's what i have to work on next.

i have been known to put off 5+ hours worth of animation work til it's 8 hours before due... ie, 3 am on the day it's due at 11 am... and i have to film it at school by around 10-1030... haha. that takes skill... or something like skill. ha

jefhatfield
May 17, 2002, 12:02 PM

ahh yes. good times.

well, i'm doubting i'll go to grad school... for computer animation it just seems like experience/work is the key... so that's what i have to work on next.

i have been known to put off 5+ hours worth of animation work til it's 8 hours before due... ie, 3 am on the day it's due at 11 am... and i have to film it at school by around 10-1030... haha. that takes skill... or something like skill. ha

my wife spent ten years as a graphic artist in nyc and sometimes they expected her to come up with something fast...ie 5 hrs editing only 8 hrs. later

in her field, experience was key and more important than education since it is one of those subjects that is hard or darn near impossible to teach in school

for my students in my volunteer teaching job, teaching home networking and computing, i try to make the classes as hands on as possible, but know that the only way to teach them would be to go to each students house, and have them hook up all the gear...the microsoft and cisco books on computing fall so short on reality

jelloshotsrule
May 17, 2002, 12:07 PM

my wife spent ten years as a graphic artist in nyc and sometimes they expected her to come up with something fast...ie 5 hrs editing only 8 hrs. later

in her field, experience was key and more important than education since it is one of those subjects that is hard or darn near impossible to teach in school

for my students in my volunteer teaching job, teaching home networking and computing, i try to make the classes as hands on as possible, but know that the only way to teach them would be to go to each students house, and have them hook up all the gear...the microsoft and cisco books on computing fall so short on reality

yeah hands on is key. and with art stuff since it's highly creative and such, not easily taught. it takes practice to get the creative process and thus a good workflow.

but i haven't found that yet. not perfectly at least.

heck, i still need a summer job. haha. hopefully i'll get one with a video production place... hopefully. :rolleyes:

eyelikeart
May 17, 2002, 12:09 PM

that's the best teaching method for me....well..by which to be taught anyway....hands on work...

I've never been able to grasp something just by seeing it....I need to actually do it...I've always been that way...

u are also right about real world experience over education in your wife's case....it's been the same way for me....school didn't prepare me for squat I feel....I learned most of what I know from my work experience...it teaches u how to deal with real problems...not just what u need to do to get a nice grade... ;)

jefhatfield
May 19, 2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

that's the best teaching method for me....well..by which to be taught anyway....hands on work...

I've never been able to grasp something just by seeing it....I need to actually do it...I've always been that way...

u are also right about real world experience over education in your wife's case....it's been the same way for me....school didn't prepare me for squat I feel....I learned most of what I know from my work experience...it teaches u how to deal with real problems...not just what u need to do to get a nice grade... ;)

for some fields i would prefer a college trained person like doctors, dentists, veterinarians, pharmacists, lawyers, and college professors

for other fields such as landscapers, programmers, newtork administrators, mechanics, window washers, bakers, etc...i am all for an apprenticeship type of learning

i am a techie and most of the people who are either programmers or hardware side IT people learned almost nothing useful in school and felt that they could have done better with on the job experience or at most, an appreticeship

at the current moment, there are a lot of attempts by the "educational field" to teach information technology to people and i have never seen something so divorced from reality as the textbooks i am trudging thru now in school compared to what i have seen as an IT person these last three years...that is why i am a cs teacher and one student at a time, i am trying to undo the damage that has been done to future IT people by the schools and fluff they are taught

when and if they let me chair the microsoft program at the college, i will certainly not let teachers sit there and recite chapter and verse the pages of microsoft press:p

rburns
May 21, 2002, 10:42 AM
1955-1969: Grade school, Tulsa, Oklahoma, finishing in Bryan, Texas.

Four yrs. in the Marines (1969-73).

1977: BA, Psychology - UT@Austin
1977: BS, Science Education - UT@Austin

Four years teaching high school physical science

1984: Got my first Mac (128k) in grad school.

1984 MA, Folklore/Anthropology - UT@Austin
1990 PhD, Folklore/Anthropology - UT@Austin

1993-present: Associate Professor of English and Folklore, teaching various folklore courses and cultural anthropology, Arkansas State University (Jonesboro)

jefhatfield
May 21, 2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by rburns
1955-1969: Grade school, Tulsa, Oklahoma, finishing in Bryan, Texas.

Four yrs. in the Marines (1969-73).

1977: BA, Psychology - UT@Austin
1977: BS, Science Education - UT@Austin

Four years teaching high school physical science

1984: Got my first Mac (128k) in grad school.

1984 MA, Folklore/Anthropology - UT@Austin
1990 PhD, Folklore/Anthropology - UT@Austin

1993-present: Associate Professor of English and Folklore, teaching various folklore courses and cultural anthropology, Arkansas State University (Jonesboro)

wow, now macrumors has a doctor (arn), a lawyer (mcrain) and now a real intellectual, PhD professor type

now all we need a is a cop and a minister/rabbi and we can start our own little mac city

of course, we will need a mac mayor and a mac city planner:p ;) :D