Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
So, I don't have 3G where I live but most of the places where I go have 3G.

Anyway, currently I have a Razr under a family plan with the MediaMax plan. I think it's about $35/month. It has 3G and 1500 texts.

It was purchased in October.

So, do I unlock a used iPhone 2G or just upgrade to an iPhone 3G?

JNB

macrumors 604
First, why would you need an unlocked 2.5G?

Remember, that the only difference in the 2.5G & the 3G is (obviously) 3G, which you said you don't have at where you live, and GPS, who's usefulness in a phone is debatable. If you just want basic location information, the current phone and method are fine. If you need that much more accuracy and real-time routing, then get a real GPS (which doesn't require any connectivity to the telco for map info).

Remember too that the Firmware 2.0 update applies to 2.5G & 3G phones, so all the software enhancements & improvements will be available (like Exchange support, push everything with MobileMe, the App Store, etc.), and as a bonus, won't cost extra per month because of the data plan price increase from current.

I'm keeping my "old" 8G phone as the new hardware gives me no measurable improvement, and I'm paying AT&T quite enough already.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
So, I don't have 3G where I live but most of the places where I go have 3G.

Anyway, currently I have a Razr under a family plan with the MediaMax plan. I think it's about $35/month. It has 3G and 1500 texts.

It was purchased in October.

So, do I unlock a used iPhone 2G or just upgrade to an iPhone 3G?

I take it that you want to jailbreak an iPhone because you are on the hook with your current service providers contact?

There is no telling how long a jailbroken iPhone will continue to work with another service. It's a roll of the dice. Maybe you will never be tempted to update the iPhones firmware and brick your phone, but sounds like you want the iPhone just for the sake of having one. If that's the case you will not be satisfied with anything less then the latest and greatest.

Unless you need something specific the iPhone provides that your current phone does not, why switch? I know the GeeWizGolly factor could be the motivation here, but let your wallet be your guide.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008

So that I can use it with my current AT&T phone plan. But I'm scrapping that idea ATM.

I have a question about the 3G Plans...

What is the cheapest plan for data, talk, and text?

JNB

macrumors 604

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2006
how do you check the availability of 3G by O2? I live in SW London, and from my phone, there doesn't seem to have EDGE. Someone please chip in a thought for this: if there's no EDGE, how would there be 3G which is something better?

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So that I can use it with my current AT&T phone plan. But I'm scrapping that idea ATM.

I have a question about the 3G Plans...

What is the cheapest plan for data, talk, and text?

You would not need to unlock the phone. The price on the 1st gen iPhone for unlimited data and 1500 text messages (i.e. what you have now) is $30. So really, your best bet price wise would be to get a 2G iPhone and use it on your current voice plan with the AT&T iPhone data plan.

darklyt

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007

Remember, that the only difference in the 2.5G & the 3G is (obviously) 3G, which you said you don't have at where you live, and GPS, who's usefulness in a phone is debatable. If you just want basic location information, the current phone and method are fine. If you need that much more accuracy and real-time routing, then get a real GPS (which doesn't require any connectivity to the telco for map info).

Remember too that the Firmware 2.0 update applies to 2.5G & 3G phones, so all the software enhancements & improvements will be available (like Exchange support, push everything with MobileMe, the App Store, etc.), and as a bonus, won't cost extra per month because of the data plan price increase from current.

I'm keeping my "old" 8G phone as the new hardware gives me no measurable improvement, and I'm paying AT&T quite enough already.

It isn't that the differences aren't measurable. It's just that they aren't worth the difference in price for you.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Ok, so it's $10 to talk, $30 for data, and $5 dollars for text?

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Personally, I like the old iPhone design better than the new one, but I will be buying the newer one just to get the "latest and greatest" (sucker, I know). Plus I'm pretty sure I get 3G here where I live.

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2006
I hear people say (myself included) sth like "the new iPhone is good for me because there's 3G around the area I live." But hold on, why do we need 3G there? surely we have internet subscription at home. It's the going out when we need the mobile internet, isn't it? And this may just apply to myself, but around where I live, there's no where to 'go out' to.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
If you going to be around 3g go for a new phone if not then get the first gen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.