PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Pick a number from 1 to 10

MacRumors
Dec 8, 2003, 03:05 AM
Vote: Poll: Pick a number from 1 to 10 (http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=332)

7on
Dec 8, 2003, 03:06 AM
Pick 7

Why? Because you MUST!!!!

arn
Dec 8, 2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by 7on
Pick 7

Why? Because you MUST!!!!

hey... no influencing the results! :)

this should be interesting...

arn

leet1
Dec 8, 2003, 03:07 AM
5.....because if theres a number to be guessed....I'll be close either way.....:p

vannote
Dec 8, 2003, 03:12 AM
10 for X (OS X)

irmongoose
Dec 8, 2003, 03:24 AM
Running out of ideas for the polls?

Anyways, I picked 3. Why? Don't ask.

irmongoose

vannote
Dec 8, 2003, 03:27 AM
LOL, 1 is such a lonely number... Wait, that's been done before...

evolu
Dec 8, 2003, 03:48 AM
yes it is! It's the magic number!"

Somebody name the music group that sang those lyrics and I'll give you a happyface.

irmongoose
Dec 8, 2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by evolu

Somebody name the music group that sang those lyrics and I'll give you a happyface.

De. La. Soul. De La Soul.

I love Google :D

irmongoose

Nermal
Dec 8, 2003, 04:21 AM
Slow news (er, poll) day? :rolleyes:

cr2sh
Dec 8, 2003, 04:35 AM
Best poll.. EVER.

kettle
Dec 8, 2003, 04:37 AM
not the slowest, I can almost see a logic behind this, maybe if some less significant numbers were used.

Archmage
Dec 8, 2003, 04:59 AM
According to my high school geometry and trigonometry teacher, the answer is 3. Always is it 3.

celaurie
Dec 8, 2003, 05:06 AM
11?

Sabenth
Dec 8, 2003, 05:08 AM
8 !!!!

ph_555_shag
Dec 8, 2003, 05:09 AM
7...BECAUSE IT IS SOOO THE BEST NUMBER

Viv
Dec 8, 2003, 05:21 AM
I had to press three becouse I wanted to press seven!

Then I realised I allways guess three to avoid allways guessing seven.

Damn I hate this game:-)

Viv

richie
Dec 8, 2003, 05:21 AM
7 is *the* random number for 1-10. For larger ranges, 47 seems to be popular. 7 is probably popular because in choosing a random number, we generally try to be deliberately random - even numbers don't seem random, and 7 is a nice high prime. It's actually a good example of humans applying pattern-seeking skills in reverse :D

Bullfrog
Dec 8, 2003, 05:29 AM
42! The answer to the question of Life, the Universe and Everything! Where does 47 come from...?

Although I picked 7. Just because I like it.

Datazoid
Dec 8, 2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by richie
7 is *the* random number for 1-10. For larger ranges, 47 seems to be popular. 7 is probably popular because in choosing a random number, we generally try to be deliberately random - even numbers don't seem random, and 7 is a nice high prime. It's actually a good example of humans applying pattern-seeking skills in reverse :D

Ah, 7 is not really a random number, but rather 7 is a number that has been given a great deal of significance (Seven corresponds to the seven days of the week, the seven planets, seven rungs of perfection, seven deadly sins, seven spheres of celestial stairs, the seven petals of the rose, the seven branches of the shaman's cosmic tree and so on. Seven denotes the fullness of the planetary orders, the fullness of the energies and principles in spiritual order. Seven was the Ancient Egyptian symbol of eternal life, and symbolizes the dynamic perfection of a completed cycle. Seven conveys the fresh start after a cycle has been completed and of positive regeneration. Seven occurs in countless Ancient Greek traditions and legends-the seven gates of Thebes, Niobe's seven sons and seven daughters, the seven strings of the lyre, the seven spheres, etc. There are seven emblems of the Buddha and seven primary chakras in the subtle energy system. )See here for more (http://www.daft.com/pp12sr/steps/sevensymb1.htm)

There is also a good deal of significance behind the number three (see here (http://www.greatdreams.com/three/three.htm) ). The original choice of these numbers could be argued ad infinitum, but their significance today is undeniable...

Not sure what they mean by "seven planets", that was a direct copy/paste, so I will leave it as is...

mgargan1
Dec 8, 2003, 05:54 AM
there are 9 planets... mercury, venus, earth, mars, jupiter, saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and then pluto. Some people even believe that Pluto is not a planet, and then again, some people believe that there are now 10 planets... but it's officially 9.

punter
Dec 8, 2003, 06:06 AM
go 8!! best poll ever!

WinterMute
Dec 8, 2003, 06:13 AM
I choose 1.

Is tomorrows poll going to be "Now double it and subtract the number you first thought of... etc."?

Sabenth
Dec 8, 2003, 06:16 AM
i think this is a real easy choice 8!!!!

MrMacMan
Dec 8, 2003, 06:17 AM
7 Chose it now!

:D

You know you want to!

You know!

whfsdude
Dec 8, 2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by vannote
LOL, 1 is such a lonely number... Wait, that's been done before...

Filter :)

Mord
Dec 8, 2003, 06:44 AM
go 4

cwedl
Dec 8, 2003, 07:11 AM
Want to see something interesting, go into google and type in 1 and see how many results it returns, then do the same for each number, you will see that the number of returned searches decreases the higher the number is.

Viv
Dec 8, 2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by WinterMute
I choose 1.

Is tomorrows poll going to be "Now double it and subtract the number you first thought of... etc."?

Wow! 7 how spooky is that

Viv:-)

oeholmen
Dec 8, 2003, 07:25 AM
I said 2 because thats the number of Macs i own.

Wonder Boy
Dec 8, 2003, 07:38 AM
i meant to hit 7, but clicked 6 instead. DAMN IT! i had it right!

Viv
Dec 8, 2003, 07:39 AM
Well of the 777 votes 7 is still in the lead

Viv

machan
Dec 8, 2003, 08:07 AM
i voted 10 just to spite all you 7 lovers.

pivo6
Dec 8, 2003, 08:25 AM
Clearly the correct number is 9, otherwise Bobby Hull or Gordie Howe would not have worn them on their sweater.

ebow
Dec 8, 2003, 08:30 AM
Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9........ With the situation... They are standing still... The plan, the telegram.... 9, Number 9...

(wtf is he talking about? (http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/the_beatles/revolution_9.html)) ;)

kettle
Dec 8, 2003, 08:34 AM
I'd like to see what our second self picked random number would be.

Sonofhaig
Dec 8, 2003, 08:34 AM
I chose 11. I think I was the only one...

steadyeddie
Dec 8, 2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by mgargan1
there are 9 planets... mercury, venus, earth, mars, jupiter, saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and then pluto. Some people even believe that Pluto is not a planet, and then again, some people believe that there are now 10 planets... but it's officially 9.

There were 7 known planets before Neptune and Pluto were discovered (not sure about the dates- probably around the Renaissance era), and this fitted in nicely with people's superstitions about 7 being a "magic" number.

MongoTheGeek
Dec 8, 2003, 08:37 AM
I was surprised there were so few 3's. I figured that 7 would get 30% 3 would get 20% and everything else would come in even.

People just pick 7. Its hard wired in to the brain. Its the upper limit of conceivable numbers.

Trowaman
Dec 8, 2003, 08:40 AM
8, because it's close to 7, but everyone picks 7. Want to be original don't we?

macFanDave
Dec 8, 2003, 08:49 AM
I like to think of myself as a non-conformist, but I picked 7 as well.

Normally, I would have picked e (2.7182818...) but I watched the Atlanta-Carolina game last night on TV and number 7, Michael Vick, was the star of the game and the announcers couldn't stop talking about him.

Maybe I just have to accept that I am not that much of a non-conformist after all (I have nothing but Macs at home, so I am in at least one minority.) And, try as I might not to, I DO love Raymond!

Mac til death
Dec 8, 2003, 09:04 AM

Blind Melon

Powerbook G5
Dec 8, 2003, 09:12 AM
I picked 7 because it's always been my favorite number. For some reason I am a fan of any multiple of 7 and any number with 7 in it. If this poll would have gone up to 20 I'd have chosen 14, though, since that is my absolute favorite number of them all.

Mudbug
Dec 8, 2003, 09:31 AM

I've seen some other responses, but I think the original was by Bob Dorough, as it appears on the School House Rock soundtrack (sadly not listed yet on iTMS).

Great poll, btw! Nothing like an open-ended question to get the troops talking :D

mactastic
Dec 8, 2003, 09:32 AM
This isn't going to determine the new look for the forums is it?:p

Anyway, I said 4 just 4 the hell of it.

~Shard~
Dec 8, 2003, 09:32 AM
If I could have, I would have picked "threeve", a combination of 3 and 5. Ah well, guess I'll go with 7, my lucky number. And it actually is my lucky number - my birthdate is January 11th, or 01/11 = 0111 = 7 in binary. :cool:

Doctor Q
Dec 8, 2003, 09:42 AM
I guessed 3. I can hardly wait to find out the correct answer. ;)

Bunzi2k4
Dec 8, 2003, 09:52 AM
i picked 3... 2 reasons,
1. i was bourn on March 3rd 1989, at 3:30 Pm...
2. my second pick would be 7, but 7 ate 9... the cannibal!!

Powerbook G5
Dec 8, 2003, 09:57 AM
Worst. Pun. Ever. :p

Hemingray
Dec 8, 2003, 10:10 AM
Very silly poll. But interesting how many people picked 7. Superstitious are we? :p

wdlove
Dec 8, 2003, 10:34 AM
This is a very interesting poll, something completely different. I will be interested to see the results and the reason behind the poll.

I voted 5, because it has always been my favorite number.

~Shard~
Dec 8, 2003, 10:57 AM
Yah, this poll is rather silly, but its a nice change every once and a while some of these polls spark some pretty serious and heated debates!

Here's my idea - for the next poll, we should have a poll regarding the next poll.

In other words, the poll question could be: What do you think the next poll question should be? and the options could all be possible poll questions. Which ever one gets ranked the highest becomes the next days poll question!

Yah, I know Im an idiot... ;)

Raid
Dec 8, 2003, 11:05 AM
Well I picked 2 guessing that very few people would (I didn't read any of the posts before I chose). <obscure pop culture reverence>I would have rather picked a more meaningful number, like 37 or 714, but I don't think many people would understand the references.</obscure pop culture reverence> :cool:

SeaFox
Dec 8, 2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by ~Shard~
Yah, this poll is rather silly, but its a nice change every once and a while some of these polls spark some pretty serious and heated debates!

Here's my idea - for the next poll, we should have a poll regarding the next poll.

In other words, the poll question could be: What do you think the next poll question should be? and the options could all be possible poll questions. Which ever one gets ranked the highest becomes the next days poll question!

Yah, I know Im an idiot... ;)

I dunno, I kinda like that idea.

Mr. Anderson
Dec 8, 2003, 11:38 AM
Is the state of things gone this low?

Odd how the '7' has taken such a commanding lead....:confused:

D

jkojima
Dec 8, 2003, 11:46 AM
1, but only because I went against my instinct to choose 7.

Ask this again in a couple of weeks and amend the quesition to say "pick a number between 1-10 QUICKLY, without thinking."

zync
Dec 8, 2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Bullfrog
42! The answer to the question of Life, the Universe and Everything! Where does 47 come from...?

Although I picked 7. Just because I like it.

That's what I was going to say! :) except I picked 4 and I've never actually read that book...

See I didn't pick seven because of human randomness...and odd numbers do seem more random but that wouldn't make me pick 7....I'd probably pick 2 if I went randomnly, and I'd probably never pick 7, I just don't like it :)...it just so happens that my favorite number lies under 10...well actually my favorite number is 4444 but that's not feasible :)

zync
Dec 8, 2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Datazoid
Ah, 7 is not really a random number, but rather 7 is a number that has been given a great deal of significance (Seven corresponds to the seven days of the week, the seven planets, seven rungs of perfection, seven deadly sins, seven spheres of celestial stairs, the seven petals of the rose, the seven branches of the shaman's cosmic tree and so on. Seven denotes the fullness of the planetary orders, the fullness of the energies and principles in spiritual order. Seven was the Ancient Egyptian symbol of eternal life, and symbolizes the dynamic perfection of a completed cycle. Seven conveys the fresh start after a cycle has been completed and of positive regeneration. Seven occurs in countless Ancient Greek traditions and legends-the seven gates of Thebes, Niobe's seven sons and seven daughters, the seven strings of the lyre, the seven spheres, etc. There are seven emblems of the Buddha and seven primary chakras in the subtle energy system. )See here for more (http://www.daft.com/pp12sr/steps/sevensymb1.htm)

There is also a good deal of significance behind the number three (see here (http://www.greatdreams.com/three/three.htm) ). The original choice of these numbers could be argued ad infinitum, but their significance today is undeniable...

Not sure what they mean by "seven planets", that was a direct copy/paste, so I will leave it as is...

I was going to say something similar...I was thinking people picked 7 because of biblical importance but since I'm agnostic there's no relevance to 7 for me....

zync
Dec 8, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by cwedl
Want to see something interesting, go into google and type in 1 and see how many results it returns, then do the same for each number, you will see that the number of returned searches decreases the higher the number is.

I suspect this is because people name things in ascending order....what made you try this?

zync
Dec 8, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Viv
Well of the 777 votes 7 is still in the lead

Viv

What's really weird is that I think when I picked 4 it had the same exact number of votes as seven did when you posted that pic (238)....

Gymnut
Dec 8, 2003, 12:03 PM
I take pi. :D

zync
Dec 8, 2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ebow
Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9........ With the situation... They are standing still... The plan, the telegram.... 9, Number 9...

(wtf is he talking about? (http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/the_beatles/revolution_9.html)) ;)

Nine is a song as well as 1....Love Potion no. hmmm....what was that number? :)

zync
Dec 8, 2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I picked 7 because it's always been my favorite number. For some reason I am a fan of any multiple of 7 and any number with 7 in it. If this poll would have gone up to 20 I'd have chosen 14, though, since that is my absolute favorite number of them all.

I'm like that with 4...which is strange because I obviously like computers and nearly every computer number is a multiple of 4 :) and if it's not, it's divisible by a factor of 4, i.e. 2....so I'm pretty much covered in all aspects except binary, though binary is base two :D

edit: obviously I'm all about the evens :)

Ge4-ce
Dec 8, 2003, 12:54 PM
Well.. nobody is promoting 6!!! I pressed 6!!!

Am I different??

My God what's wrong with me!!

No Really.. look down this thread! Nobody said press 6!!!

IT is the DEVIL's NUMBER...

Mwhoee ha ha ha haaaa.

QuiteSure
Dec 8, 2003, 01:09 PM
Great poll, kind of took me by surprise.

My first impulse was for no. 7, then I fought it and chose 4, which by a slim margin is the #2 vote getter.

I guess I'm a conformist at heart!:p

(Well, maybe not, I DO use a Mac)

Snowy_River
Dec 8, 2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by mgargan1

Actually, it's likely that there are ten planets. The tenth planet, which has yet to be observed, is tentatively named Persephone, though its name won't be formal until it is directly observed, hopefully with the next generation of orbital infrared telescopes...

Oh, and I pick 7. Don't know why. And it was before I read any posts.

dricci
Dec 8, 2003, 02:17 PM
I picked 7 without even looking at this thread. I don't know why! 7 must be evil, quick, burn every book with a 7 in it!!! ;)

agreenster
Dec 8, 2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by QuiteSure
Great poll, kind of took me by surprise.

My first impulse was for no. 7, then I fought it and chose 4, which by a slim margin is the #2 vote getter.

Wow--me too. I first thought 7, but then thought this might be a tricky poll, so I went for 4, because it seems more random to me. Weird, huh?

The power of 7.

jdhuskey
Dec 8, 2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
Wow--me too. I first thought 7, but then thought this might be a tricky poll, so I went for 4, because it seems more random to me. Weird, huh?

The power of 7.

It sounds like quite a few of us thought of 7 first and then switched to 4. We made a deliberate effort not to choose 7. Why, then, choose 4?

I'm sure most of us are inclined to choose 7 because it's so prevalent in mythology, religion, and superstitions (lucky or unlucky), and whether you believe any of it or not, you've probably been exposed to it.

Four happens to be a number that I fall back on often when I'm trying to quickly pull a random number for a story or something - like saying "4 bazillion" when I want a largely exaggerated (unreal) number. I never had a reason that I can remember for using 4 in this way. I've been told, more than once, that I over-analyze things.

Viv
Dec 8, 2003, 03:07 PM

The power of 7.

A tricky poll?? but what did you think would happen if you got the answer wrong?

Jackbooted SWAT teams would come and kick your door down and demand to know why you guessed the wrong number?

Funny but i did the same thing!

Viv:-)

QuiteSure
Dec 8, 2003, 03:09 PM

The power of 7.

No, actually the power of 4.:confused:

rueyeet
Dec 8, 2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by dricci
I picked 7 without even looking at this thread. I don't know why! 7 must be evil, quick, burn every book with a 7 in it!!! ;)

Me too! I didn't look at the thread, just picked 7 and....well. So much for my delusions of non-conformity. :p

Of course, I did pick it for numerological reasons...for me the choice was between 3 and 7, really. 7 won.

Originally posted by Ge4-ce
Well.. nobody is promoting 6!!! I pressed 6!!! ....No Really.. look down this thread! Nobody said press 6!!!

IT is the DEVIL's NUMBER...

Mwhoee ha ha ha haaaa.

Yup, that's another reference: Five is the number of man, six is the number of the devil, and seven is the number of heaven.

Doctor Q
Dec 8, 2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by QuiteSure
No, actually the power of 4.:confused: 7 is a power of 4. And 4 is a power of 7. What a coincidence! And if you don't believe me, ask your math teacher.

Giaguara
Dec 8, 2003, 04:00 PM

because statistically least people choose that. :)

evolu
Dec 8, 2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by irmongoose

irmongoose

You cheated!!! But you were honest about it! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

ibjoshua
Dec 8, 2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by irmongoose

irmongoose

And I love De La Soul

i_b_joshua

tazo
Dec 8, 2003, 07:14 PM
Like you all didnt think 7 would be winning? ;)

cr2sh
Dec 8, 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Hemingray
Very silly poll. But interesting how many people picked 7. Superstitious are we? :p

I don't think its silly at all... from a statistical standpoint, I was really hoping to see a random distribution.. it would have been beautiful, but obviously there's a huge bias to number 7.... which I thought would happen but jeez...

I choose number 6, pretty much randomly.. for no real reason...

The bias of 7 aside.. the rest are coming out pretty even.

Mac til death
Dec 8, 2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mudbug
I've seen some other responses, but I think the original was by Bob Dorough, as it appears on the School House Rock soundtrack (sadly not listed yet on iTMS).

Great poll, btw! Nothing like an open-ended question to get the troops talking :D

Although I believe you are right about Bob Dorough, he is hardly a musical "group".... :)

either way I voted for 3...

Jan. 3rd, woo hoo

Nermal
Dec 8, 2003, 08:01 PM
I voted for 6. Don't know why, I don't really have a favourite number.

Is it just my imagination or did we do a poll on favourite colours a few months ago?

PretendPCuser
Dec 8, 2003, 08:12 PM
Or cause my son is 6. Your choice. Or is that tomorrow's poll?

Didn't want to join the 7 crowd.

Powerbook G5
Dec 8, 2003, 08:17 PM
Come on, you know you want to...the 7 crowd is the place to be. We can toast marshmallows together and sit around the fire while telling ghost stories and singing kumbaya. Maybe afterwards you could delight in some of our delicious kool-aid...it is prepared especially for our cul...I mean...group. It is okay if you get sleepy afterwards, in fact, I think after the kool-aid, I believe we will all be a little sleepy...

Doctor Q
Dec 8, 2003, 08:46 PM
Fans of the TV show Alias (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39066) would of course prefer the number 47 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=511834#post511834), which wasn't one of the choices.

kylos
Dec 8, 2003, 09:38 PM
I chose 6 because I wanted an average number, but not too average (5). Which means I might have gone 4 instead, except I think I tend toward a larger number. Huh. I could really psychoanalyse myself here with no end in sight. Arn, you are truly evil.:D I'll be up all night.

Brock
Dec 8, 2003, 09:40 PM
There are not 10 planets, there aren't even 9. Pluto is not a planet, it was most likely a moon of neptune/uranus that got loose.

And I voted 6.

gwuMACaddict
Dec 8, 2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Bullfrog
42! The answer to the question of Life, the Universe and Everything!

exactly! does no one else read douglas adams? :D

jero
Dec 8, 2003, 09:48 PM
8, now what? :)

Sun Baked
Dec 8, 2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Come on, you know you want to...the 7 crowd is the place to be. We can toast marshmallows together and sit around the fire while telling ghost stories and singing kumbaya. Maybe afterwards you could delight in some of our delicious kool-aid...it is prepared especially for our cul...I mean...group. It is okay if you get sleepy afterwards, in fact, I think after the kool-aid, I believe we will all be a little sleepy... And 7 silver space ships will take you up into space...

Yes, we heard all those cult stories before.

But I really hate the group that comes to your door to save you, those big eyes and grey skin is a little creepy. And the initiation procedures painful.

TomSmithMacEd
Dec 8, 2003, 11:26 PM
This is interesting how much 7 is beating out all the other numbers. I wonder if it is because people like 7 so much more, or if in my case it seemed to be the eaisest one to pick...

pighuddle
Dec 9, 2003, 12:23 AM
I'm a 9 man myself.

have they just run out of ideas for polls or what?

I'd really like to see a poll of what political party Mac owners are. I'm betting it would be overwhelminly Democrat.

Bunzi2k4
Dec 9, 2003, 12:50 AM
that would be interesting... but w/e

cr2sh
Dec 9, 2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by pighuddle
I'd really like to see a poll of what political party Mac owners are. I'm betting it would be overwhelminly Democrat.

I get it.. artsy... liberal... expensive... democrat..

I would think mac users would be more rational and efficient.. republican.

:)

kettle
Dec 9, 2003, 04:26 AM
Is there a way of linking the vote cast, back to the individual member? There must be.

I would have these four options-

a) I am a Democrat Voter
b) I am a Republican Voter
c) I am a Democrat Voter who would like to see being a Republican banned.
d) I am a Republican Voter who would like to see being a Democrat banned.

Like all poll makers, I'm secretly looking for a desired result.:eek: I still think satire plays too large a part in non governmental polls and would taint this into an unusable semi humorous set of figures. maybe.

zync
Dec 9, 2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Brock
There are not 10 planets, there aren't even 9. Pluto is not a planet, it was most likely a moon of neptune/uranus that got loose.

And I voted 6.

1. NASA still considers Pluto a planet, even though they have said it was probably a satellite originally.
2. They're pretty sure there is another planet just past Pluto in the solar system...it used to be named Planet X but now, as someone said before, they've dubbed it Persephone, though it won't be official until it is actually observed (most likely not by humans)...I believe an article on this may be on nasa.gov....

zync
Dec 9, 2003, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by pighuddle
I'm a 9 man myself.

have they just run out of ideas for polls or what?

In reality, Democrat (actually non-partisan if you want to get specific but I tend to favor democrats), in near-reality Libertarian...in hopeful reality Anarcho-Communist....but I would have rather lived in more middle age times where barter and trade ruled and you skill at your craft made your goods worth more....where you lived and died by the sword...not a 9mm....yes it was probably crappier but hey we all have out fantasies right?

zync
Dec 9, 2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh
I get it.. artsy... liberal... expensive... democrat..

I would think mac users would be more rational and efficient.. republican.

:)

Uh hello? No political party is rational or efficient...communism is probably most efficient but the way it's been implemented so abhorrently gives it a bad name...libertarians are somewhat rational...I'm all for less government control...but then again I know a whole bunch of you will not believe that so I say believe what you want, you're going to anyway...human nature is against having an open mind unless you actively go against it...in the last election people didn't even care about what Browne was saying all they cared about was that he didn't go to college...all I have to say is, Bush did, does that speak well of college? All of my friends, including myself, were smarter than Bush when we graduated high school and dare I say many of us probably could've run the country better...just because you don't go to college doesn't mean you stop learning as soon as you graduate high school...ok, so I'll stop my political ranting...why can't we be friends? :)

zync
Dec 9, 2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by kettle
Is there a way of linking the vote cast, back to the individual member? There must be.

I would have these four options-

a) I am a Democrat Voter
b) I am a Republican Voter
c) I am a Democrat Voter who would like to see being a Republican banned.
d) I am a Republican Voter who would like to see being a Democrat banned.

Like all poll makers, I'm secretly looking for a desired result.:eek: I still think satire plays too large a part in non governmental polls and would taint this into an unusable semi humorous set of figures. maybe.

Hey, you can't leave Lewis Black out of this:

e) They both suck
f) I'd rather shove a pencil in my eye than vote for either of these candidates
g) I don't vote

I could probably go all the way to Z but I'll stop myself :D

Bunzi2k4
Dec 9, 2003, 10:49 AM
hahahaha... its funny to see how much of a change this topic has become... what's ur fav. number to there are 9 planets...

nah-ah! there are 10!

no!!! there are 8!

and now it's r u a rep. or a dem?
and then it turned a little to the bush bashing and communism rox.

...?:confused:

Snowy_River
Dec 9, 2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Brock

And I voted 6.

Originally posted by zync
1. NASA still considers Pluto a planet, even though they have said it was probably a satellite originally.
2. They're pretty sure there is another planet just past Pluto in the solar system...it used to be named Planet X but now, as someone said before, they've dubbed it Persephone, though it won't be official until it is actually observed (most likely not by humans)...I believe an article on this may be on nasa.gov....

Of course NASA still considers Pluto a planet, because that's what it is. Check your dictionary:

"A nonluminous celestial body larger than an asteroid or comet, illuminated by light from a star, such as the sun, around which it revolves."

Given this definition, regardless of whether Pluto used to be a moon, Pluto is now a planet.

Also, there are articles about Persephone in many places, including nasa.gov, abc.com, etc. Simply saying "There are not 10 planets" does not make it so.

Snowy_River
Dec 9, 2003, 12:56 PM
...libertarians are somewhat rational...

I hate to be contrary, but I have to disagree with you here. I grew up with a Libertarian (my father), and for a while counted myself as one. But, as I studied history and had political arguments with my dad, I quickly got to the point that I could argue him into a corner. He stopped wanting to have such arguments with me because he couldn't win them.

Libertarianism, in my experience, is a form of exceptional idealism. If it were rational it would have to be rather more realist.

I sometimes think that the right approach is something closer to Plato's republic. I guess I don't trust that a true democracy does anything other than put power in the hands of those with average intelligence, or those who are smart enough to know how to manipulate them...

~Shard~
Dec 9, 2003, 03:19 PM
It appears this poll has turned into quite an interesting social experiment. Ask them what their favorite number is, then watch as they discuss how many planets are actually in our solar system, and then get into a poignant discussion on republicans vs.democrats, and types of government. An interesting progression... :cool:

kettle
Dec 9, 2003, 03:28 PM
An interesting progression... :cool:

That's the badger:)

sethypoo
Dec 9, 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
exactly! does no one else read douglas adams? :D

I do! I do! :)

I went through quite a dilemma in choosing a number.....first it was 1, but that would mean that I wanted to be number 1, which I am not; then, it was 6, but that's the beast's number, and we don't want that now do we! Then I picked 3, which is one of my favorite numbers, because it pops up so much in my life, then I thought no, not 3, it's too typical to me; so then I thought about 4, and I was like "naaaaah, 4=G4 and I want a G5 PowerBook soon so 4 was out of the question, then I went to 9, but 9 is 6 upside down and that just creeped me out so I ruled out 9 too. 10 didn't interest me enough, two digits is two too many, I thought about choosing 5 but 5 as others have said before me is far too average, so 5 was ruled out.

I picked 7.

Why? the word s-e-v-e-n has five letters, and since 5 was my second choice, um, yeah, I dunno, I like 7!
:) :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :)

Bunzi2k4
Dec 9, 2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
I do! I do! :)

I went through quite a dilemma in choosing a number.....first it was 1, but that would mean that I wanted to be number 1, which I am not; then, it was 6, but that's the beast's number, and we don't want that now do we! Then I picked 3, which is one of my favorite numbers, because it pops up so much in my life, then I thought no, not 3, it's too typical to me; so then I thought about 4, and I was like "naaaaah, 4=G4 and I want a G5 PowerBook soon so 4 was out of the question, then I went to 9, but 9 is 6 upside down and that just creeped me out so I ruled out 9 too. 10 didn't interest me enough, two digits is two too many, I thought about choosing 5 but 5 as others have said before me is far too average, so 5 was ruled out.

I picked 7.

Why? the word s-e-v-e-n has five letters, and since 5 was my second choice, um, yeah, I dunno, I like 7!
:) :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :)

0_o that's probably the most interesting thing i've herd from someone trying to pick a number between 1 and 10...

Kingsnapped
Dec 9, 2003, 03:59 PM

TEG
Dec 9, 2003, 04:05 PM
?, so I'll pick 3.

Remember if you are in Indiana, ? equals either exactly 3 or 4.

TEG

zync
Dec 10, 2003, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Of course NASA still considers Pluto a planet, because that's what it is. Check your dictionary:

"A nonluminous celestial body larger than an asteroid or comet, illuminated by light from a star, such as the sun, around which it revolves."

Given this definition, regardless of whether Pluto used to be a moon, Pluto is now a planet.

Also, there are articles about Persephone in many places, including nasa.gov, abc.com, etc. Simply saying "There are not 10 planets" does not make it so.

According to that definition, I believe many of Jupiter's moons would be planets :)

zync
Dec 10, 2003, 04:16 AM
I hate to be contrary, but I have to disagree with you here. I grew up with a Libertarian (my father), and for a while counted myself as one. But, as I studied history and had political arguments with my dad, I quickly got to the point that I could argue him into a corner. He stopped wanting to have such arguments with me because he couldn't win them.

Libertarianism, in my experience, is a form of exceptional idealism. If it were rational it would have to be rather more realist.

I sometimes think that the right approach is something closer to Plato's republic. I guess I don't trust that a true democracy does anything other than put power in the hands of those with average intelligence, or those who are smart enough to know how to manipulate them...

That's why I said somewhat :) I say this because they seem more rational than either democrats or republicans to me...this is mostly because I believe that a bipartisan system isn't truly democratic...how can it possibly be democratic if two groups have a monopoly over the government and third parties have no chance? This is pretty much how I see things as irrational....BTW you won't get my grandmother into a corner in any political debate (she's somewhat Libertarian)...believe me this is true...she knows way too much about government...you could give her a one channel television tuned to CSPAN and she'd be happy...well maybe not, she usually watches multiple political talk-show-thingys at the same time...it's ludicrous, but you can't stump her, she should be president :D she knows more about government than most of them :)

zync
Dec 10, 2003, 04:23 AM
BTW, something doesn't have to be realist to be rational...think of this...does it makes sense that people commit murder? No, not in most cases....in most cases it's irrational and really even in the few where people gain from murder there still is consequence and that makes it not worth it and therefore irrational, but it would be ideal to say that murder doesn't occur....Ideal things tend to be more rational because as long as the ideal is correct it shows the way things should be...the government shouldn't be able to tell me not to wear my seatbelt or smoke pot in my own home as long as it doesn't hurt anyone...how can it be illegal to grow a plant that hurts no one? What if I happen to like the way pot looks or I want to make hemp jewelry and not even smoke the damn thing? Many things the government does is irrational...why is television censored? That should be the job of the parent...why does the drinking age coincide with hand gun priviledges? How can I be an adult at 18 yet not be able to drink? Why was I smarter than most 18 years olds when I was like 14 yet when I showed up in traffic court I couldn't defend myself, nor was I even allowed to say a word, without a lawyer on my behalf? This country is messed up and most of it's flaws are hardly based on rational ideas...

sorry for the long rant everyone, and snowy realize I'm not speaking against you...I pretty much agree with you :)

Snowy_River
Dec 10, 2003, 01:31 PM
According to that definition, I believe many of Jupiter's moons would be planets :)

Well, no...

Jupiter's moons revolve (i.e. orbit, incase someone wants to get technical and start talking about revolving on their axis) around Jupiter. Their orbit around the sun is incidental, as they only do that because Jupiter, a planet, orbits the sun. If the sun were to vanish out of existence Jupiters moons would go on orbiting Jupiter, but Jupiter wouldn't be orbiting anything.

The one possible argument that Pluto is not a planet would come from the fact that Pluto and Charon are so close in size that they, in fact, orbit each other, so they are effectively a twin moon system. Thus they are both moons, and neither is a planet. However, that's pretty nit-picky, in my book. (And in NASA's book too, it would seem.)

Snowy_River
Dec 10, 2003, 01:40 PM
That's why I said somewhat :) I say this because they seem more rational than either democrats or republicans to me...this is mostly because I believe that a bipartisan system isn't truly democratic...how can it possibly be democratic if two groups have a monopoly over the government and third parties have no chance? This is pretty much how I see things as irrational....BTW you won't get my grandmother into a corner in any political debate (she's somewhat Libertarian)...believe me this is true...she knows way too much about government...you could give her a one channel television tuned to CSPAN and she'd be happy...well maybe not, she usually watches multiple political talk-show-thingys at the same time...it's ludicrous, but you can't stump her, she should be president :D she knows more about government than most of them :)

Ah, yes, the electoral process...

I whole heartedly agree that the current incarnation of our political system is seriously messed up. It is artificially biased toward the two party system because we use a binary voting system. One yes, and everyone else is a no. This can easily result in an official getting elected, even if his views are contrary to the majority of his constituents.

As an example, (not without merrit) suppose that there are two liberal candidates who, together command 65% of the vote. Obviously, a significant majority of the public want a liberal official. If the third candidate, a conservative, gets 35% of the vote, then his views are clearly not prefered by most of the public. However, if candidates A and B (the liberal candidates) each got 32% and 33% of the vote, respectively, then the conservative candidate would win.

Snowy_River
Dec 10, 2003, 01:50 PM
BTW, something doesn't have to be realist to be rational...

Here's an example of a Libertarian view (one of my dad's favorites) that's idealist but not realistic.

Libertarians argue for the elimination of the minimum wage, as it is seen to be an impediment to a true open market. The argument is that people who needed a better wage to live would simply find a job that paid more.

zync
Dec 10, 2003, 06:48 PM
Well, no...

Jupiter's moons revolve (i.e. orbit, incase someone wants to get technical and start talking about revolving on their axis) around Jupiter. Their orbit around the sun is incidental, as they only do that because Jupiter, a planet, orbits the sun. If the sun were to vanish out of existence Jupiters moons would go on orbiting Jupiter, but Jupiter wouldn't be orbiting anything.

The one possible argument that Pluto is not a planet would come from the fact that Pluto and Charon are so close in size that they, in fact, orbit each other, so they are effectively a twin moon system. Thus they are both moons, and neither is a planet. However, that's pretty nit-picky, in my book. (And in NASA's book too, it would seem.)

I had originally missed the part of the definition that they orbit around a star....I thought you had left that out :) And the nonluminous part rules out binary systems too...so you're good :D

As an example, (not without merrit) suppose that there are two liberal candidates who, together command 65% of the vote. Obviously, a significant majority of the public want a liberal official. If the third candidate, a conservative, gets 35% of the vote, then his views are clearly not prefered by most of the public. However, if candidates A and B (the liberal candidates) each got 32% and 33% of the vote, respectively, then the conservative candidate would win.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I don't like our system :D

Libertarians argue for the elimination of the minimum wage, as it is seen to be an impediment to a true open market. The argument is that people who needed a better wage to live would simply find a job that paid more.

True, but that's only irrational because of the system that we currently live in. That's somewhat out of context. If all of the other ideals of Libertarianism were fulfilled that wouldn't seem so stupid :D I wasn't that much of the extreme Republican version of Libertarianism...I was more liberal which tends to bring about more realistic ideals in Libertarianism...still, now I'm anarcho-communist...well really more anarchistic but in either case I realise that people could never rule themselves...

It's sad when people are so extremely Republican that they care nothing for others of lower classes except to say that they could do better...it's so incredibly stupid to say that a homeless person could just go out and get a job so easily...who will hire them? They have one set of dirty, smelly clothes, they may have great skills that would be of use but their presentation is so poor that they'll never be able to get a job without help...

Doctor Q
Dec 10, 2003, 08:47 PM
I had originally missed the part of the definition that they orbit around a star....I thought you had left that out :) And the nonluminous part rules out binary systems too...so you're good :D

This is one of the biggest reasons why I don't like our system :D

I've gotta stop skimming posts! After a quick read of your post, I thought you were saying "I don't like our SOLAR system" but now I see that you were talking about two completely different topics that have come up! Sorry, zync, I thought you were going to have to pack your bags for another solar system. I guess you'll be happy in the current one after all. :)

Snowy_River
Dec 11, 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I've gotta stop skimming posts! After a quick read of your post, I thought you were saying "I don't like our SOLAR system" but now I see that you were talking about two completely different topics that have come up! Sorry, zync, I thought you were going to have to pack your bags for another solar system. I guess you'll be happy in the current one after all. :)

Just to be a little nit-picky, there are no other Solar systems. The star that Earth orbits is named 'Sol'. Thus, we're in the Solar system, or Sol star system. There are other star systems, but only one Solar system. ;)

Snowy_River
Dec 11, 2003, 02:40 PM
...That's somewhat out of context. If all of the other ideals of Libertarianism were fulfilled that wouldn't seem so stupid ...

Well, I just wrote a nice long response to you about this, then a Libertarian web site crashed Safari before I could send it. I don't think I'll rewrite the entire post, but I will point to the site in question, which is here (http://www.self-gov.org/). If you read a bit of what's there it shows that one of the definitions of a Libertarian is someone who is in favor of economic diversity, which is to say that they tolerate people making anything from pennies per hour up to thousands of dollars per hour or more. Thus, legislating a minimum wage, even if it is to provide a living wage, is antithetical to the (hard core, fundamentalist) Libertarian view. What other ideals are there that makes this view more reasonable?

ddbean
Dec 11, 2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Datazoid

And don't forget 8Stops7, the name of a local Ventura CA band, once featured on Apple iTunes library in Apple stores, a skate video game, and the Friends Soundtrack.
http://www.8stops7fanclub.com

zync
Dec 11, 2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q

That's hilarious :)

Snowy, true about Sol....most people don't think of it that way though methinks :D

Now, regarding Libertarianism....the othe freedoms presented by the Libertarian view would most likely result in a stronger economy which people would prosper in, though I guess not everyone would...I didn't say it was right :) I said it seemed less stupid when you take the rest into consideration though I would think those helped by minimum wage would still prosper in a Libertarian driven economy, still some may be driven down...but we can't be truly sure until it [never] happens :) Sorry they crashed your safari BTW....

zync
Dec 11, 2003, 06:47 PM
It appears this poll has turned into quite an interesting social experiment. Ask them what their favorite number is, then watch as they discuss how many planets are actually in our solar system, and then get into a poignant discussion on republicans vs.democrats, and types of government. An interesting progression... :cool:

BTW, while this is true the government BS started because someone asked what type of political affiliation mac users tend to be :)