PDA

View Full Version : iPod Question with Computer Sleep

minesmac2011
Jun 22, 2008, 02:25 AM
I have been wondering and have also been too afraid to not eject my iPod Classic(80GB) before I put my computer to sleep.

If I do leave the iPod plugged in without ejecting it, will it cause damage to my iPod or iTunes/computer.

Thanks for your help.

jive turkey
Jun 22, 2008, 04:19 PM
I don't think it will damage anything, but at least on my machine, unplugging the iPod wakes the computer up, which is to be expected I guess.

teflon
Jun 22, 2008, 09:00 PM
I have been wondering and have also been too afraid to not eject my iPod Classic(80GB) before I put my computer to sleep.

If I do leave the iPod plugged in without ejecting it, will it cause damage to my iPod or iTunes/computer.

Thanks for your help.

Leaving your iPod in without ejecting it when the computer goes to sleep would be equivalent to just unplug your iPod when the computer is on, which is not recommended.

I don't think it will damage anything, but at least on my machine, unplugging the iPod wakes the computer up, which is to be expected I guess.

When you just unplug it like that, you run a risk of corrupting the files. Flash drives have a smaller chance IIRC, but it's still not recommended to unplug USB devices without ejecting it.

jive turkey
Jun 22, 2008, 09:22 PM
When you just unplug it like that, you run a risk of corrupting the files. Flash drives have a smaller chance IIRC, but it's still not recommended to unplug USB devices without ejecting it.

Good advice. In my case, I usually eject the iPod following a sync, but leave it plugged in to recharge. Does that cause it to remount or run the risk of damage?

teflon
Jun 22, 2008, 10:04 PM
Good advice. In my case, I usually eject the iPod following a sync, but leave it plugged in to recharge. Does that cause it to remount or run the risk of damage?

No if you ejected it than you can no longer access the disk, it's just the battery that is getting recharged through the computer. As long as your computer doesn't show the eject your device before unplugging warning, and your iPod doesn't show the do not disconnect message, you should be fine.
Just curious, why don't you just eject it when you're finished with everything?

jive turkey
Jun 23, 2008, 11:57 AM
Just curious, why don't you just eject it when you're finished with everything?

This is going to make me sound insane and pathetic, but I don't like seeing the iPod listed in iTunes or Finder, so as soon as it is synced up I eject it. I know, what the heck is wrong with me? :eek:

teflon
Jun 23, 2008, 03:12 PM
This is going to make me sound insane and pathetic, but I don't like seeing the iPod listed in iTunes or Finder, so as soon as it is synced up I eject it. I know, what the heck is wrong with me? :eek:

Haha don't worry, everyone have their quirks. I always make my friend take the gum on the left so I can eat the one on the right when we share gum :o.