Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlieKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Hi everybody.

Over this summer I'm going to be renovating my room apple-wise. I'm right now typing this from a PC. I plan on getting a Mac Pro and a MacBook, macwise.

I have quite a bit of money to spend ($~8000), I'm not bragging just trying to get some information.

So I'm thinking about different accessories etc what I'll need to spend on my mac hardware-wise, what furniture will go with my room. I'd like to keep with the Anodized Aluminum style.

I was also thinking about a 1TB Timecapsule and a 30" ACD, and then x4 20" monitors going sideways.

Could you please suggest a list of things I should get.

Thanks.
- Charlie.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I was also thinking about a 1TB Timecapsule and a 30" ACD, and then x4 20" monitors

Post pictures when you have your setup or we'll hate you.

For this setup, I'll need to know what's being plugged into what. Are you going to be using any of the monitors with your MacBook? If not, then you'll need at least three GPUs in your Mac Pro. What will you be using the Mac Pro for? If it's something graphics intensive, I'd suggest one fewer monitor and two 8800 GT (or 3870s, if that ever happens). If not, then getting three HD 2600s to run your 30 and four 20s off of would be fine.

Honestly, you best be posting pictures of this when you're done.

I'd also like to know what kind of furniture people would recommend to compliment anodized aluminum Apple products.

CharlieKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Haha.

I'll definitely post pictures. Once my digicam comes back from samsung :rolleyes: I'll post one of my current setup for a before and after.

I'm really interested in what kind of furniture too. For the record the room is loft style

|/---\|
|____|

A bit like that maybe it's reasonably big but I might get specs. Furniture wise for anybody wondering it's a blank canvas. Keep in mind this is also a bedroom. Although i wouldn't mind getting an awesome looking sofa to be transformed into a bed eg fold-down, as long as it's very comfortable.

Macwise:

The macbook will be on it's own for portability etc.

I might get 1 of the atis keep it as stock and then buy x2 8800gts or i might buy the new ati gpus coming out.

I'll be using it for programming, and graphics and maybe a bit of video/3d work.

Processor wise what do you recommend? Also I'm going to get the lowest end macbook as literally all its for would be maybe showing a client a design at a coffee shop or checking my email or surfing the web, nothing intensive at all.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
I'm jealous already. $8000 to spend as you please, you lucky bastard :D
What do you do, that you would use four 20' + one 30' acd's.

For cool looking furniture to match a cool setup like that, ikea is pretty good.
They often have very unique and interesting furniture. That will often look very good with apple products.

CharlieKirk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
130 feet of monitors? :p

I need a lot of workspace I do a lot of server stuff then I need room for designing, room for coding room for debugging and room for stuff like im etc.

Can you link me to some ikea stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.