Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Two months ago I dropped my iPod touch from about four feet onto a stone tiled floor.

The iPod landed on it's side, but it put a dent into the black matte rim that goes around the iPod's enclosure.

What I wanted to know is what kind of damage did I do to the guts of the iPod?

After dropping it I noticed that sometimes songs will go into fast forward mode or skip without me touching the screen. Could this be damage from being dropped, or maybe an issue with the actual songs I'm playing?

Also, are there any places I could send my iPod in to get a replacement part for the outer rim if the iPod? Everytime I see the gash it left I get annoyed at myself for dropping such an expensive device :(

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Two months ago I dropped my iPod touch from about four feet onto a stone tiled floor.

The iPod landed on it's side, but it put a dent into the black matte rim that goes around the iPod's enclosure.

What I wanted to know is what kind of damage did I do to the guts of the iPod?

After dropping it I noticed that sometimes songs will go into fast forward mode or skip without me touching the screen. Could this be damage from being dropped, or maybe an issue with the actual songs I'm playing?

Also, are there any places I could send my iPod in to get a replacement part for the outer rim if the iPod? Everytime I see the gash it left I get annoyed at myself for dropping such an expensive device :(

Well, the Apple Store might replace it (for a fee, of course) but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure it's all one part.

And 2, it's very possible that the internals were damaged in the drop. Again, you can take it to the Apple Store but you'll probably have to pay for it's repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.