PDA

View Full Version : Is $395 a good price for this 15" 1.5ghz powerbook?

peapody
Jun 22, 2008, 08:02 PM
I posted this in the marketplace forum. I kind of felt bad because I don't know if it was the right place to do it. Hoping to see if you guys here can offer more advice

I found a local ad on craigslist for a 15" 1.5ghz Powerbook with these specs and in this condition:

1.5 ghz
15"
128mb video
1.25gb RAM
80gb 7200rpm hdd
superdrive

Trackpad works intermittently. Some scratches, 1 ding on the spine, 2 on the bottom, j bracket is loose.

The owner said it was the last of the powerbooks before the mbps. He couldn't tell me more than that. He said he "thinks" there is bluetooth. What can you guys gather from the info provided (one of the last powerbooks? with the ambient light sensor and multitouch?)

Is this a good buy for $395? I am very handy and plan on replacing any really bad worn spots. I am meeting the guy tomorrow for it!

EDIT: Should mention that it comes with the original box and leopard, as well as I am assuming install discs. I plan on using this as a desktop machine.

jjahshik32
Jun 22, 2008, 08:05 PM
Yes that's a good deal, ask for $350.

alphaod
Jun 22, 2008, 08:06 PM
If the trackpad doesn't work I don't think it will work out... and it won't have multitouch obviously since it's not a late gen machine.

teleromeo
Jun 22, 2008, 08:13 PM
I believe the last 2 generations have 1.67 Ghz.
Mine has but it's a 17"

CanadaRAM
Jun 22, 2008, 08:15 PM
15" 1.5ghz Powerbook
The owner said it was the last of the powerbooks before the mbps.

It's not.

peapody
Jun 22, 2008, 08:18 PM
^^^ Yeah I figure he just said that generally to say it wasn't one of the first ones.

The computer will be used as my desktop machine only. Since it is an intermittent trackpad problem, I think replacing the topcase and trackpad and trackpad ribbon should rectify that issue.

NC MacGuy
Jun 22, 2008, 09:01 PM
^^^ Yeah I figure he just said that generally to say it wasn't one of the first ones.

The computer will be used as my desktop machine only. Since it is an intermittent trackpad problem, I think replacing the topcase and trackpad and trackpad ribbon should rectify that issue.

If you're using it as a desktop and plug in a mouse, the trackpad doesn't really become an issue. I would try and get him down a bit though.

Battery and screen dimming are the buggers on those - I've got one.

GoCubsGo
Jun 22, 2008, 09:03 PM
It is a good deal but make sure you get all the install discs with it.
Also, consider that he is dead wrong about the gen. 1.5ghz was not the last gen before the MBP. It was the 1.67 15" with the faster ram.

aaronw1986
Jun 22, 2008, 09:11 PM
It actually seems too good to be true for me.

peapody
Jun 22, 2008, 09:59 PM
OOh, thanks for the tidbits guys.

I will be testing out the machine for a bit to see what is up with it. I already think its a good deal, but if there are battery deficiencies or screen dimming I will try to ask him down.

It will come with the original box, and leopard installed. I will ask about the install discs.

Is the backlit keyboard only on the late gen ones? I guess I will find out tomorrow!

zioxide
Jun 22, 2008, 11:49 PM
Bad deal. If you're going to replace the trackpad and stuff, its going to cost more than $400. If you're going to use it just as a desktop replacement, you'd be better off getting a mini.. way more power.

Freyqq
Jun 23, 2008, 12:13 AM
anything based on ppc isn't worth it in my opinion. I have a 1.5 12" and it is sloooooow. Way to slow in my opinion. Save your money and buy a refurb macbook or something.

peapody
Jun 23, 2008, 11:00 AM
hmm I am really confused.

I wanted to get a 15" powerbook for a large screen so that I can use it as a desktop machine to accompany my smaller 12" thinkpad (which I use in class and for school). I am on a budget but I also want a nice pristine shape computer, so I am considering replacing the damaged parts. I don't know if this is a good powerbook for the price, or if it is just because I have been looking for something on the cheap haha.

It was going to be either the 15" powerbook or a MBP for around $800-900. But those are so hard to find.

Edit: Had a blackbook and sold it. Not to fond of the form and design.

heatmiser
Jun 23, 2008, 11:49 AM
anything based on ppc isn't worth it in my opinion. I have a 1.5 12" and it is sloooooow. Way to slow in my opinion. Save your money and buy a refurb macbook or something.

Agreed. The slowest MB will get you more years of life than the fastest Powerbook.