Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatchFrame

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Dallas, TX
I backed up my iTunes library to disc because I am about to transfer the library from my PC to my soon-to-arrive Mac Pro.

It took 4 DVDs, as expected, and all went to plan.

The ONLY thing I was wondering about was whether or not the album artwork transfers with the files/folders on the disc?

The majority of the artwork was assigned to the songs by hand, so do you know if they will transfer if I do it this way or will they need to be added again?

Any other tips for backing up the library this way?

I'm not likely going to have the PC and Mac Pro setup as a network so this seemed to be the best way to do it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I backed up my iTunes library to disc because I am about to transfer the library from my PC to my soon-to-arrive Mac Pro.

It took 4 DVDs, as expected, and all went to plan.

The ONLY thing I was wondering about was whether or not the album artwork transfers with the files/folders on the disc?

The majority of the artwork was assigned to the songs by hand, so do you know if they will transfer if I do it this way or will they need to be added again?

Any other tips for backing up the library this way?

I'm not likely going to have the PC and Mac Pro setup as a network so this seemed to be the best way to do it.

Only 4 DVDs? Yeah it should transfer your album art. However I would seriously recommend using an external HDD.

MatchFrame

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Dallas, TX
Only 4 DVDs? Yeah it should transfer your album art. However I would seriously recommend using an external HDD.

Do you mean using an HDD for the transfer or to keep the iTunes library on there instead of on an internal HDD?

Yeah, only 4 DVDs. I cleaned up a lot of old music that I don't listen to anymore or wouldn't ever get around to listening to. And very few of my physical album's are on my HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.