Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antipipeline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
I have a powerbook G4 12 inch 1.33 Ghz its about to turn the big 4 years old. is it a good time to buy a new Macbook or should i wait till the fall when a new one might be released? or should i buy one now.

echosmyron

macrumors member
May 14, 2006
get it now. i got my blackbook a few days ago and i'm loving it! i don't think there's going to be any new macbooks until august or september

bektravels

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Australia
I have a powerbook G4 12 inch 1.33 Ghz its about to turn the big 4 years old. is it a good time to buy a new Macbook or should i wait till the fall when a new one might be released? or should i buy one now.

Hey, if it helps I have exactly the same PB as you. A couple of weeks ago I was thinking about buying a blackbook too, but decided instead to put in a 250gb HD and max out the ram to 1.25gb. Costed less than $200 (au) and it's worked out really well. Performance has exceeded my (not so high) expectations.

I reckon I can shelve plans to upgrade for at least another year:)

...Or hopefully until Apple release an some sort or aluminium 13in that is not the MBA.

thecartoonguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008

If you can, wait until the end of summer. Usually there are some upgrades, which may be coming out.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You might find the Buyer's Guide helpful

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

ahrenba

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
I have been contemplating this question too.

I NEED to get a laptop for school (starts at the end of September), so I am really hoping Apple releases the update before then!!

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Check the intel processor map. It will give rough time lines of when we can expect some new revisions. Apple generally uses the most current processor on the market from Intel...

ahrenba

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Check the intel processor map. It will give rough time lines of when we can expect some new revisions. Apple generally uses the most current processor on the market from Intel...

Can you provide a link to that intel road map? Thanks!

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Buy when you need it.

Search always.

Indeed. I bought my MB last December, and could not imagine waiting several months for update after update. There's very little the very first Macbook can't do that the current one can, and the first came out two years ago. Yet people continue to wait endlessly, as if Apple will abandon all business sense and offer something more than yet another marginal shift in hz and gb that 99 out of 100 users won't notice in daily work. Good stuff.

joe16

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
get it now. i got my blackbook a few days ago and i'm loving it! i don't think there's going to be any new macbooks until august or september

same here. i just got my mid level macbook and am enjoying every minute of it! it depends,though. if you must have it now, get it now. expect updates sometime in the next 2-3 months.

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
The macbooks are the only computers in apple's laptop line to not have the upgraded LCD screen and multitouch trackpad. Hold out until it comes out with these. I believe they were being held back because a) Macbook is not a pro machine, b) Apple need to clear inventory during the back to school promo and c) they're waiting for a redesign.

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
Hey, if it helps I have exactly the same PB as you. A couple of weeks ago I was thinking about buying a blackbook too, but decided instead to put in a 250gb HD and max out the ram to 1.25gb. Costed less than $200 (au) and it's worked out really well. Performance has exceeded my (not so high) expectations.

I reckon I can shelve plans to upgrade for at least another year:)

...Or hopefully until Apple release an some sort or aluminium 13in that is not the MBA.

Huh! you have no idea what it is to have a 2,4 Ghz engine .... I can now convert a DVD with Handbrake for my itouch in less than 1 hour .... how long does your G4 needs 12-13 hours ?

Saludos

Franz

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
The only evidence you need is that the macbook has yet to have an LCD screen. Apple have stated that they will all have LCD screens by 2009.

Again that's not recent evidence and i think you mean LED backlit screens, they already have LCD screens. That also doesn't mean they will upgrade it before September 15.

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Ah.
Yes. that's what I meant. I do think, however, that it is of interest to the OP that an update will without doubt be here before christmas. This update won't just be a speed bump but will include a brighter, better screen and a larger multitouch trackpad.

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Ah.
Yes. that's what I meant. I do think, however, that it is of interest to the OP that an update will without doubt be here before christmas. This update won't just be a speed bump but will include a brighter, better screen and a larger multitouch trackpad.

and most definately the Centrino 2 (2nd gen. Penryn) processors, which will be more power efficient (less heat, less energy).

Just wait. It's another 2-3 months for a decent gain (provided the redesigns look pretty and hopefully un-MBA-like. Well . . that's personal preference.

bektravels

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Australia
Huh! you have no idea what it is to have a 2,4 Ghz engine .... I can now convert a DVD with Handbrake for my itouch in less than 1 hour .... how long does your G4 needs 12-13 hours ?

Saludos

Franz

Ummm, I don't use my G4 for that so I don't really know or care... and if I did want to I'd just use my iMac anyways:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.