Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kutta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm not trying to do anything illegal here. I purchased two copies of Macsoft Halo for MAC and I need to change CD keys from one key to another. I tried reinstalling and it just does not give me an option to change the CD key. The CD key seems to be stuck in the system somewhere and I can't find a way to modify it or delete it.

Has anyone tried to do this before? Any ideas on how I can go about doing it?

Thank in advance.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Unless you have some kind of hacked version of Halo, that's where the key should be. If the key is absent, Halo will ask you to type it in.

Sweep'n Streets

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
com.macsoft.halo.plist only applies to the UB version of Halo. I think the PPC version uses the old 'Halo Preferences' filename.

kutta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
com.macsoft.halo.plist only applies to the UB version of Halo. I think the PPC version uses the old 'Halo Preferences' filename.

'Halo Preferences'? Where would I be able to find that?

When I got into Library/Preferences I don't see anything related to halo.

kutta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Go into your /Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences folder. Any better success there?

Oh sweet I see it now. How come it didn't show up when I searched for it?? That's so weird.

Anyways thanks a ton. I was able to change the keys. Everything works now.

Kutta

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Does deleting your prefs file also delete your keyboard & other settings? I too want to change the key, but not if I have to lose a lot of other things to do so.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Keep a backup of the old file just in case (don't empty trash too soon!)

As for why it's not found... Spotlight excludes some things I have found, if I search with the main icon. But if I search WITHIN Library (at the top of the window) that works better.

It makes sense: most people searching for Halo, say, want the app, or their bookmarks and files related to it, but not obscure system files that the user should never have to touch.

lumberbunny

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
I have the non-UB version and when I open Halo Preferences in TextEdit, all I see are 4 nonsense characters. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

EDIT: ResEdit doesn't work on Intel MacBooks so I used Resorcerer to view the file. It's in there in pieces as Gamespy Passcode.

Escuriadao

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
Same problem

I have the same problem, but when i go to Halo Preferences I can't see the preferences because they are a word document. That wouldn't be a problem but when i try to open it Word says it can only read 5.0 and 5.1 files. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

Exact wording of what it says: Word can only convert Word 5.0 and 5.1 settings files.

KaiserrrrR

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
Sorry in advance for reviving an old thread!

I need help with Halo as well. I bought a legit copy from a friend of mine, and tried entering the CD key, but of course it's "in use", therefore I cannot play multiplayer.

I tried the 2 ways Sweep told kutta, but that didn't work with me.

what to do???

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Sorry in advance for reviving an old thread!

I need help with Halo as well. I bought a legit copy from a friend of mine, and tried entering the CD key, but of course it's "in use", therefore I cannot play multiplayer.

I tried the 2 ways Sweep told kutta, but that didn't work with me.

what to do???

He thinks he can sell you the product while still using it himself.

Tell your friend that serial can only be used by 1 person, he either has to give up the account or refund your money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.