Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Generation will your first G5 be?

• 1st Gen

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 2nd Gen

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2001
Yes, my first Mac, a pretty G4/533 is showing her age. I tend to think that MWSF would be my best time to upgrade. My machine will be 2 years old (a perfect age for an upgrade) and it is likely that the mythic G5 will be unveiled then (flame on?).

But then I got thinking...

I'm basically a hobbist who had no real reason to go with a Power Mac (save my eventual Mac-gaming habit) except that I wanted a fast computer. What I mean is, I don't work with films or photos or music or anything that would require me to get a G5, but (of course) I want one.

At the same time, I think I should stretch it out and go with a G5 when they are upgraded at MWNY 2003, and probably get a lot more for my buck with Gen 2 (as is always the case with new Macs).

So what about you? Future G5 owners: Gen 1? ...or Gen 2?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
gen 2 is safer

but gen 1 ibooks, both types, were cool, as was the gen 1 tibook which some say runs hotter than gen 2

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Gen 1 imacg4 and it rocks
don't be affraid to try stuff, Its apple you can't go wrong

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I'd like to think I could hang out until gen 2, but by the time the gen 1 is out, I will have a 'real' job, and I probably won't be able to help myself. :D

I'd like to think I'll get a job where I'll earn enough to sell the gen 1 and buy a gen 2 when it comes out, but I think we all know that's just wishful thinking!

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I probably will go for the 2nd revision for myself, but for my company we have a budget put in ready to replace all of our macs as soon as new ones are released.

Ensign

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Rev B's are always better, better specs, all the problems ironed out etc etc....

Although I've only ever owned Rev A models, the original Rev A G3 desktop and the Rev A 500 TiBook, the first G3 was bulliet proof, super reliable, never had a problem...... my TiBook, the hardrive died within 3 months, and I needed a new screen after 7 months..... so I was less impressed with this one........

When Apple does eventually release the G5, I'll wait for the Rev B, although everyone shouldn't do that, as if they don't sell Rev A's it'll take longer for us to receive the Rev B upgrade... tasty!!! :D

stromie952

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2002
Rochester, NY
Almost definitely going to wait for the second or third revision to buy a G5
But, a G5 will probably be my next computer.
Hopefully, the technology will be there to have a G5 notebook in the neext year and a half.
Although, I think if the time comes to buy a new computer and a G5 notebook isn't available, I am pretty sure that I will buy a G5 tower :D

CAN'T WAIT!

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
i dunno....i plan on getting the souped-up G4 thats gonna be released at MWNY.

Ok, well actually i plan on getting one of those computers once they are being sold at the refurbished price.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
It all depends. Everyone here saying 2nd gen is taking the safe road. If Apple does the same thing they did with the initial G4 offering, don't get a G5 if it retains some of the old architecture, go with the high end model, but expect to pay more.

And this is only speculation, know one knows for sure what we're going to get with the G5. I'm hoping to pick one up myself, so we'll see. I'm still curious to see how Apple ups the G4s, especially with the new servers. MWNY should be very cool.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Skipping a generation

I'd just bought by TiBook (G4 500/512/30) back in late January, and I plan to use it for another 2-3 years. A G5 PowerBook should be released within a year or so, and hopefully, by the time I'm looking to replace my TiBook (2005 or so), there'll be a G6 PowerBook.

Man, the generational leap will be so awesome. Maybe I might be able to get a G5 iBook by then--it'll still be an upgrade for me, but definitely cheaper! :D

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
AGE HA

Ur computers showing its age huh. Hmm come use my Rev. A G3 233, 640pc100ram, IX Micro Pro Rez, Barely suports X and USB keyboards confuse it. Sorry it just gets anoying when I see people saying they're computers getting old. Myself Im going w/ a DDR ram containing tower (hopefully this MWNY) or Rev. B G5. think ur Rev. A G4's messed check mine no Slave/Master support, Radeon 7000 won't work, 768 max ram, No built in USB/Firewire, no agp. sorry just mad at this computer

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Either gen 2 or 3 for me. More out of financial neccessity then anything else. I have to pay down my TiBook purchase before buying any new computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.