Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ciscokid5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I have a Dimage Elite 5400 II scanner and for a time it worked well. In the past year or so, however, I've been having major brainsmack problems getting it to even get the application to open, much less run.

I open it from the finder, the icon bounces for a half-minute. I get a middle-screen image that shows the Dimage Logo and some pictures and a message that says setting up. The beach ball spins for 30 seconds or less. Then I get a screen message that says:

Cannot open. Confirm no other Dimage Elite 5400 2 Software is open.

But there isn't any other Dimage Elite 5400 II software open. Or any other scanner software, because I don't have any other. I reboot the computer, re-launch, shut down, and re-open. I've searched spotlight and applications for any other Dimage software/apps. No dice.

ANY ADVICE? I'M GOING NUTS

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I have a Dimage Elite 5400 II scanner and for a time it worked well. In the past year or so, however, I've been having major brainsmack problems getting it to even get the application to open, much less run.

I open it from the finder, the icon bounces for a half-minute. I get a middle-screen image that shows the Dimage Logo and some pictures and a message that says setting up. The beach ball spins for 30 seconds or less. Then I get a screen message that says:

Cannot open. Confirm no other Dimage Elite 5400 2 Software is open.

But there isn't any other Dimage Elite 5400 II software open. Or any other scanner software, because I don't have any other. I reboot the computer, re-launch, shut down, and re-open. I've searched spotlight and applications for any other Dimage software/apps. No dice.

ANY ADVICE? I'M GOING NUTS

have you deleted the preference for the software?
make sure the software isn't open
under user, library, preferences in your main hard drive.
look for the software name included in a plist.
ie. ical's is: com.ical.plist or along that line
delete that file.

open the software again.

i personally find 90% of software issues are related to the pref files.

also, make sure you repair permissions for your hard drive in utilities as well.

cheers,
keebler

ciscokid5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Scanner madness

Thank you Keebler, I'll give your suggestions a try. I did run the "uninstall" option on the software disk, then re-loaded...but it must not have uninstalled everything or I wouldn't likely cont. to have this problem of

"Unkown error.
Confirm all other Dimage software is closed."

Right?

Thank goodness for those of you who understand computers and software. I'd be lost without your collective help.

Cheers.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Give VueScan a try, but first go to their Web site and check to make sure your scanner is listed as a compatible one. I have an Epson V700 scanner that came with Silverfast, as well as Epson Scan, and I don't use these anymore. VueScan is a most favored scanning application with photographers. Easy to use, and reliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.