Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhtran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Before I getting into my question, I have done the search and read all the threads already and did not find any help yet. I have been a PC guy and now just migrate to Mac. Anyhow, my home network is working fine. All the computers are seeing eachother in the network including my new iMac. The problem is that my iMac can not get the shared printer from my main PC and I have tried few things but still not able to get it working. Any help would be greate and thank you in advance.

Here's my home network:

Comcast ==> Router ==> Main Floor PC + Canon MP450 (shared)
............................|
............................|==> Hub ==> iMac (not able to see shared printer)
........................................|==> PC (see shared printer on main floor PC)
........................................|==> PC (see shared printer on main floor PC)

"the dots are for spacing"

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
It might be a driver incompatibility issue. Some printers (HPs without network ports are notorious for this) can be shared only with computers that have the same operating system as the host PC. (In this case, Windows.)

So, basically, I see there's two (easy) choices:

1. From the iMac, Print to PDF and e-mail those files to the PC
2. Buy a new printer with built-in networking, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828104715

The printers with built-in networking were meant to be used in a mixed environment. I'm using the printer that I posted a link for with two Macs, 1 Vista PC, 1 XP PC, 1 W2k PC, and 2 Linux PCs.

Edit: Here's another thread (and this one too, if you're using an Intel Mac)to support what I'm saying. It's unlikely that two people would have the same problem in the same situation unless there was a *true* problem such as a driver issue. And the second thread shows that there's a driver issue with Intel Macs, even before you add Windows Networking to the mix. So the MP450 isn't the right printer for your situation.

vhtran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Cool thanks for the help. Some how couldn't find those threads in the search. I'll do a little more searching and see what happen otherwise I guess I have to use the printer comes with the iMac I just bought. Its just that I don't want to use 2 printers in 1 house since the MP450 is working fine but if the issue is true then have to I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.