Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Dear All,

Tomorrow I get my new MBA 1.8/SSD. Like other forum members I want to re-install OS-X and get rid of the entire extra printer drivers and languages..

I have the MBA superdrive.

Can someone please tell me step by step how to perform this re-install? And how to remove the original OS-X.

Thanks in advance,

With kind regards,
Bas

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Do you really need to re-install to do this? I just deleted them off mine. Along with GarageBand and other apps I never use. Google will tell you where to find the files.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Dear daveOZ,

How can you remove all the languages and printer drivers?

I remember some forum member prefer to re-install os-x for some reason.

With kind regards,
Bas

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I removed all the languages and printer drivers I knew I would never need. Not been a problem.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Take a look at the stickies as there are full step-by-step directions in how to do this. Clayj provided wonderful guidance for this. When I got my MBA I followed the steps and had great success. With the SSD and its limited HD space it is a good idea to reinstall the OS and get rid of stuff you know you won't want or need. By reinstalling the OS you can do it to customize the way you want your machine, and by reinstalling you can be sure of not having any excess stuff still cluttering up everything. By simply deleting the printers and languages you may still be leaving other remnants behind so you're still not going to free up as much space as you can when reinstalling the OS with a custom setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.