Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strakerc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
So as I was trying to uninstall SP3, my computer froze and I had to hard reboot. Now, when I try to run Windows, all I get is a black screen. I don't understand why anything was affected though because the uninstall SP3 process hadn't actually even made it to the uninstall, but was still analyzing my computer.

Is there anything I can do short of a reformat? The Windows drive isn't even mounting on my desktop anymore, so I cannot even recover my files...I run Parallels 3.0 Build 5608 and Boot Camp 2.0 . I was uninstalling SP3 to install Boot Camp 2.1, which I now know you are supposed to do before the install of SP3.

Running OS X 10.5.3 on 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If the XP partition is not mounting on your desktop, there's not much you can do. And if you can't access it from Parallels, that means something took out the entire boot sector of the XP partition. You may be forced to do a restore from the Boot Camp assistant and start over.

You might be able to boot from your XP CD and use the recovery console to repair the XP partition but there is always a certain amount of risk to your OS X partition if something should go wrong.

Not sure I understand why you wanted to remove SP3 to install Boot Camp 2.1? XP SP3 runs just fine with the drivers from Boot Camp 2.0. BC 2.1 is needed to correct some problems with Vista but not XP SP3. SP3 works great here with BC 2.0 and likewise works great in Fusion.

Regards.

strakerc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Ah, the apple website mentioned something about SP3. But I did get the disk to mount, so at least data can be recovered. I want to try repairing it, however when I booted from the XP SP2 install disk and went to repair, selected the appropriate drive (C) and typed in the admin password afterwards it was just like being in DOS with the directory C chosen and a command needed to be typed to repair it...do you know what to do from here? THanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.