Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoangcong

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Hey,
I was looking at the ram I bought and saw that there was another type of kingston that has CL5, mine is CL4.
Anyone know the difference between those 2? Which one is the best and does it make a big difference?

Cheers :D

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Hey,
I was looking at the ram I bought and saw that there was another type of kingston that has CL5, mine is CL4.
Anyone know the difference between those 2? Which one is the best and does it make a big difference?

Cheers :D

The only thing I can tell you about Kingston RAM and Macs, is that there has been a lot of previous complaints and warnings of compatibility issues.

That said, I have used some Kingston memory in the past without issue. But, seems that I am in the minority there.

Might not hurt to do a search for Kingston + Mac + problem or perhaps Kingston + Mac + compatible and see what some of the complaints are.

hoangcong

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Thanks, but i couldnt find anything bad on kingston on the yahoo search engine might try google later on :D
So far i didnt have any problem hopefully i wont have any :D

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Thanks, but i couldnt find anything bad on kingston on the yahoo search engine might try google later on :D
So far i didnt have any problem hopefully i wont have any :D

Yes, I don't know of any technical reason that it shouldn't work. I've used it myself. But, I know in past discussions, that Kingston has usually been recommended against.

Admittedly, it's been some time since I've read those posts. So, it could be an old issue.

And, it could be that those posts were from people who just didn't like Kingston.

I've never sent a Memory module back from any manufacturer (including Kingston). But, just thought it was worth pointing out that you might want to research them and see before you buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.