Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
This just in... in Playboy's 50th anniversary issue it has a listing of 50 Products that Changed the World...

Apples entries were:

#17: Apple Quicktake 100 digital camera (1994)

#12: Apple iPod (2001)

#1: Apple Macintosh desktop computer (1984)

Pretty impressive if I don't say so myself. I had never even heard of the Quicktake digital camera. Go Apple!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This was discussed in another thread, but you seem to have more of the list than anyone else. Is the whole list online anywhere? If not, can you tell us the top 20? Just curious.

The QuickTake was an amazing product. It was the first consumer-level (meaning cheap) digital camera. An order of magnitude cheaper than the digital cameras of its day. I got to use one when it first came out and it was amazing to take a photo, transfer it to the computer, and have it in a document 5 minutes later. Yes, in 2003 we all expect to do that, but that ability, the price (I think it was $700), and its odd shape, like binoculars, got a lot of attention at the time.

As with the Newton, Apple invented a new market and then eventually gave up the lead to others.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles

Attachments

• quicktake.jpg
    quicktake.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 138
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.