PDA

View Full Version : Copy itunes bought mp3 from ipod to PC using just USB

bomadian
Jun 24, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hi, I have a 2nd gen ipod - I'm holding out for a 64GB iphone ;) and I am trying to copy an MP3 off the ipod onto my PC using just a USB cable. I can see most of my music in the music folder on the ipod but not any of the itunes bought stuff. Am I right in thinking the DRM is causing this?

gnasher729
Jun 24, 2008, 11:05 AM
Hi, I have a 2nd gen ipod - I'm holding out for a 64GB iphone ;) and I am trying to copy an MP3 off the ipod onto my PC using just a USB cable. I can see most of my music in the music folder on the ipod but not any of the itunes bought stuff. Am I right in thinking the DRM is causing this?

I don't seem to get the problem - the music would always be on the computer where you downloaded it. To transfer it to another computer, you either set up a network or you can use the "backup" feature in iTunes to copy the music onto CDs or DVDs. One DVD should hold about 1000 songs.

bomadian
Jun 24, 2008, 11:59 AM
I don't seem to get the problem -

I want to take an MP3 off my ipod without having to go through itunes (i'm at work and downloading itunes is probably a bad idea). I can see all the tunes on my ipod in the music folder using windows explorer and I have even turned on 'view hidden files' in options but I can't find any itunes store bought mp3s on my ipod. Thanks for any help.

JayMan8081
Jun 24, 2008, 03:56 PM
You could try installing a program like Floola or YamiPod. Either of these programs will read the iTunes DB file on your iPod and should allow you to copy any song to your hard drive from the iPod.
Floola: http://www.floola.com/
YamiPod: http://www.yamipod.com/

gnasher729
Jun 24, 2008, 05:14 PM
I want to take an MP3 off my ipod without having to go through itunes (i'm at work and downloading itunes is probably a bad idea). I can see all the tunes on my ipod in the music folder using windows explorer and I have even turned on 'view hidden files' in options but I can't find any itunes store bought mp3s on my ipod. Thanks for any help.

In that case, wait until you are at home, start iTunes, choose "Backup to disc" and take the CDs or DVDs to work. Making backup CDs is a good idea anyway. If your company doesn't want you to install iTunes on your computer (which is after all created by a company with a good reputation), I think they will be very, very, extremely unhappy if you install any other software that can pull music from the iPod.

You could try installing a program like Floola or YamiPod. Either of these programs will read the iTunes DB file on your iPod and should allow you to copy any song to your hard drive from the iPod.

Unless he works at Microsoft, installing one of these programs will be more frowned upon than installing iTunes.

bomadian
Jun 26, 2008, 09:48 AM
Sure, I know I can go home and get the song through my mac's itunes folder but I wanted to know why I couldn't see the file on my ipod at work. thanks for your thoughts though.