PDA

View Full Version : G5 Dual Quad 2.5Ghz – Processor swap

5150SS
Jun 24, 2008, 02:27 PM
I was recently given a non working G5 dual 2.5ghz machine. It is a quad core machine with the Delphi liquid cooling system. After some investigating I found it had a coolant leak. All the fans and lights come on as well as the bootup “chime”. I think (hoping) that the motherboard and power supply are still good. My question is this:

Can I use different processors on this motherboard? Lets say a dual 2.5ghz non-quad core processor assembly. Am I making sense? I am very new to the Mac world and would appreciate any help on this issue.

Thanks

FF_productions
Jun 24, 2008, 04:39 PM
No, just won't work. The G5's are very sophisticated and damn near impossible to swap processors.

Tracer
Jun 24, 2008, 05:28 PM
If it has no Applecare your out of luck.

Apple doesn't even bother repairing G5's any more, they just give customers brand new Intel Machines.

Tracer

Lord Zedd
Jun 25, 2008, 06:09 AM
No. The G5's aren't remotely anything like the G3/G4 or Intel machines. You can't even swap a CPU of the same model and speed without the firmware freaking out, swapping a CPU from a different G5 generation is not possible at all.

indiochano
Jun 25, 2008, 06:13 AM
apple's planned obsolescence stategy wouldn't let you get away with that one... :D

zmttoxics
Jun 25, 2008, 07:58 AM
You can't swap cpus in a g5? I thought you could, it was just hard to find cpus because everyone is using them.

Tracer
Jun 25, 2008, 08:24 AM
The motherboard FSB is directly linked to each processor, so unless you get the same module (read: insanely expensive) it won't work.

Tracer

5150SS
Jun 25, 2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone! That's what I was afraid of.

zmttoxics
Jun 25, 2008, 11:59 AM
You can always buy a g4 or something, gut the bad g5 and jerry rig the g4 bits into it. Have a really sweet looking g4. :D

ReanimationLP
Jun 26, 2008, 04:45 AM
Take it to Apple.

Dont screw inside of it, just tell them that it was leaking coolant.

I'm pretty certain they'll most likely repair/replace it for free, as those kind of liquid cooling systems arent supposed to leak.

OMFG HAXX!
Jun 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
Take it to Apple.

Dont screw inside of it, just tell them that it was leaking coolant.

I'm pretty certain they'll most likely repair/replace it for free, as those kind of liquid cooling systems arent supposed to leak.

Really? Apple's customer support is that awesome?

calvin200001
Nov 1, 2010, 02:35 PM
what ever happend with this?
mine did the same thing

ThunderSnake
Nov 1, 2010, 08:59 PM
what ever happend with this?
mine did the same thing

I don't know what happened here, but you might find this (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12305068�) to be of interest.

calvin200001
Nov 2, 2010, 10:12 AM
wow thats great! thanks for the reply!!
I hope that happens. I called apple yesturday hoping for something like this.. and that gives me a great hope! thanks again.
have a great day! :)

Macdctr
Nov 8, 2010, 08:50 AM
I was recently given a non working G5 dual 2.5ghz machine. It is a quad core machine with the Delphi liquid cooling system. After some investigating I found it had a coolant leak. All the fans and lights come on as well as the bootup “chime”. I think (hoping) that the motherboard and power supply are still good. My question is this:

Can I use different processors on this motherboard? Lets say a dual 2.5ghz non-quad core processor assembly. Am I making sense? I am very new to the Mac world and would appreciate any help on this issue.

Thanks

Chances are, if you had a coolant leak then there might be more damage than you think. You can swap out the processor but you are very limited in this area. You cannot use a G5 Quad Core processor on your current motherboard, but you can use a good Dual Core 2.5 G5 processor or even get a 2.7GHz Dual Core G5 processor but that's pretty much it. Finding one shouldn't be too hard if you are patient and search on eBay.

If swapping out the processor with a "known" good processor doesn't fix your problem then look at getting a replacement motherboard or new power supply.

My Dual 2.5 GHz PowerMac suffered a coolant leak and I was lucky because all I had to replace was the power supply to fix mine.