PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook internal hard drive purchase advice

micart671
Jun 25, 2008, 04:56 AM
Hello from Australia,

I'm about to purchase a new internal hard drive for my powerbook G4.

*Are internal laptop Hard Drives universal with Mac or PC? Reason being, I notice companies advertising using an apple logo but the brands of the hard drives are varied, eg. Samsung, Western Digital.

*Any suggestions on brand, size etc...?

*I notice tech. videos on you-tube, not many people use static straps. Are they absolutely necessary? Can you make your own??

Thanks very much for your time!
Mic

logana
Jun 25, 2008, 05:56 AM
You need an IDE 2.5 inch drive (maximum height 9.5mm) - PATA not SATA.

Buy as big as you can afford and I would recommend Western Digital.

Enjoy taking your PowerBook to bits !!!

micart671
Jun 25, 2008, 06:30 AM
Thankyou!

zorinlynx
Jun 25, 2008, 07:50 AM
If you have a TiBook, changing out the hard drive is easy; just involves removing the bottom and swapping it out.

In the AlBook it's a bit tougher, you're goign to have to go to iFixIt and read the guide completely BEFORE you start.

Good luck and enjoy the gained space. :)

The Killer Fuzz
Jun 25, 2008, 07:57 AM
im pretty sure replacing the hard drive (correct me if im wrong) on a powerbook will void its warranty but you might not care, so, yeah

micart671
Jun 25, 2008, 08:46 AM
Ta, for all replies!
:)
I've read the ifixit guide twice and am confident.
Not sure about the anti-static bit though!

Thanks again

logana
Jun 25, 2008, 08:58 AM
I have changed the HD several times on a 12" Powerbook - not a lot of fun but like everything else it gets easier. Never used a anti-static strap - just earth yourself against a convenient metal part of the PowerBook and don't rub your feet up and down on a carpet at the same time.

Makes me appreciate how easy it is on a MacBook though......

nsbio
Jun 25, 2008, 09:07 AM
WD2500BEVE

This has the largest capacity available for a PB. I put in one in my G4 PB and it has been great so far.

nep61
Jun 25, 2008, 09:13 AM
Ta, for all replies!
:)
I've read the ifixit guide twice and am confident.
Not sure about the anti-static bit though!

Thanks again

I swapped out a HD on my 15" G4, (removed an 80GB 5400rpm, for a 100GB 7200rpm). While I was in there I also installed a dual layer DVD drive... I didn't use an anti-static strap. Didn't have, and haven't had a problem since.

Words of advice, print the ifixit instructions and, that last page which has the little boxes to keep the screws organized. Also, use clear tape to hold the screws in place on that paper. One little bump, and you'll be screwed. (PUN intended:rolleyes:) Also, beware of the screw holes near the DVI port. If you put a screw in there by mistake... it's stuck for good.

Tedious job.. 95% easy overall... 5% HARD (releasing the latch that holds the keyboard to the body of the unit.)

GOOD LUCK !! :)

Just in case....

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PDF/54/PowerBook_G4_Al_15_1-1.5_GHz_BT_1.1_Hard_Drive.pdf

micart671
Jun 26, 2008, 02:05 AM
Ta to all!

The jobs done! I now have a 160gb HD sitting in it's place!
ifixit is the best site for tech. stuff!!

See ya, i've got my second brain back!!
Mic from Aus';):D:)

Cave Man
Jun 26, 2008, 03:51 AM
im pretty sure replacing the hard drive (correct me if im wrong) on a powerbook will void its warranty but you might not care, so, yeah

Considering Powerbooks haven't been made for more than 3 years, I suspect your point is moot.