Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

becstar77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
I've just upgraded to a MacBookPro after my trusty 17" Powerbook died on me. I want to get rid of it, but I want to make sure all my private info is wiped off first, primarily photographs. What's the best way, when I can't even raise it from the dead - is there an easy way for me to remove the hdd?

Also, what's the most environmentally friendly way to dispose of it? (In UK) and does anyone know any company that wants the parts etc..?

crobbins

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
Colorado
You'll probably need to put it in an enclosure and use disk utility with your new machine to do the wipe. I would recommend http://www.ifixit.com for instructions on taking your machine apart to get the drive out. There is probably an easy way to do it, but I know this way will work as well.

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
I would have wanted it for parts if you lived in the states. Find a friend and give it to them. They might be able to fix it and happy for an older mac that is free. My old roommate is a photographer working on pc at home and mac here at work - he would love a free powermac to try to fix. I'm sure you can find someone in a similar situation, instead of just recycling it.

becstar77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
What died on it?

The hard drive... first of all, it took maybe 5 restarts to get it up and running - it makes a hot tired whirring noise, and now I can't wake it up from that state. I know, I know, I was lazy, and wanted a new one rather than to find out what was wrong and fix it - it's about 6 years old.

So it may be that the hdd is beyond reading anyway, but I don't want to take the chance!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.