Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AWP X

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
ok so I JUST got off the phone with 3 different apple people and because I think you guys are smarter at this. I want to know where can I buy a 128MB VRAM for a Mac mini and is there a site that will tell me how to open this stupid thing.

I have had the computer for 2 years so the apple care is out the window.

Any help would be GREAT.

AppleFan333

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2008
ok so I JUST got off the phone with 3 different apple people and because I think you guys are smarter at this. I want to know where can I buy a 128MB VRAM for a Mac mini and is there a site that will tell me how to open this stupid thing.

I have had the computer for 2 years so the apple care is out the window.

Any help would be GREAT.

If I'm not mistaken, the Mac mini's video card is smoldered to the board, so you can't replace it.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
is it an Intel or PPC mini? I'm pretty sure the Intel ones use integrated graphics and don't have separate VRAM (could be wrong though)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
yeah...

They all have integrated graphics, from what I remember.

Upgrading isn't possible.

Okay, it's POSSIBLE, but the parts aren't available.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
it's not a graphics card, but an assortment of chips on the motherboard

it's not possible unfortunately

maybe, one day, apple will make their computers fully customisable by the user...alas, i fear it is just a dream

N.B. there's plently of YouTube vids that show you how to open one up

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Can't be done. Minis use integrated graphics which are part of the motherboard. The only way to upgrade the graphics would be to upgrade to a motherboard with a 128 chip in it, which doesn't exist for the mini as they all use integrated graphics and none have used the X3100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.