Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuyOnTheCouch22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Long Island
I have an original MBP from 2 summers ago and i just bought a black MacBook to replace it. My only question is will using my old MacBook Pro Charger on it once in a while cause any harm to my new Macbook.

I just would like to use it as a spare charger if i bring my macbook to work or using it somewhere else around the house so i don't have to move my main charger.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I've heard of problems of damage to the battery. You are putting more power into it. Are those false?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I've heard of problems of damage to the battery. You are putting more power into it. Are those false?
I've worked where there were oodles of MBs were powered by MBP MagSafes and nothing ever happened to the MBs' batteries, but that's just my experience.

Where did you hear of the damage to the battery?

JayMan8081

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Dayton, OH
Yeah I had also heard that it was okay to use MBP chargers on regular MBs. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it will regulate the voltage provided so as not to damage the battery. If I get a chance I'll google to see if I can find a link to the article.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
It should technically work okay. The charge regulator will regulate the power that the battery and system receive.

HOWEVER the regulator is not designed for the extra 20W of power that is is receiving. It'll run hot, and with time it'll simply fail, if you're lucky it'll just mean getting a new regulatory system installed, and if you're unlucky your MacBook will go up in flames.

This is from the point of view of an electronics student - I don't have experience in this specific area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.