Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintosh tech

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
How you doing? I just got my first Intuos3. It is the 6x11 version. Very nice. However, immediately I noticed a crack directly underneath the express buttons. I emailed Wacom and got this in return (edited for spelling):

Kevin,

The cracks on your tablet are not exactly "cracks". The are the lines where
the molds meet. When the tablets are created, they are put together with
various molds. Where the molds meet, a line is often formed.

This is not a defect, nor is it something that can be replaced. All of the
tablets have some form of line on them.

If you feel like this is unacceptable and you bought the tablet from us within
the last 30 days, feel free to call us and we will issue you a return number.

Please contact me if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Stephanie

So, I am naturally wondering if everyone does indeed have this. Please let me know if you do or do not. Thanks!

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
No cracks on mine,only a slight indent under the buttons {I guess this is the mould line they are talking about} Although not sure how anyone could mistake this indent for a crack mind you.

Send them a photo and then see if they think its normal,chances are you really have a crack.

Pen tip - When your pen tip gets scratchy remove and rotate it a bit instead of chucking it,this can save you a bit of cash over time.

Oh ya mine is a 6x8

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I have 2 'scratches' (underside of the plastic) coming from my side buttons - they're a mirror of each other so I know they're part of the design.
Theres also the point where the plastic is poured into the moulds at the top and bottom - personally I think they could do this a bit neater for the money we pay but hey its nothing major.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Sounds odd.

I think you'll have to post photos? My Intuos3 doesn't have anything cracky, or any noticable lines. :/

If it looks like a crack, is there any sort of give to it or is it just cosmetic?

Mine's A5.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I have 2 'scratches' (underside of the plastic) coming from my side buttons - they're a mirror of each other so I know they're part of the design.
Theres also the point where the plastic is poured into the moulds at the top and bottom - personally I think they could do this a bit neater for the money we pay but hey its nothing major.

Ditto. When I first pulled mine out of the box I thought to myself, "This thing is already scratched?! What a rip off!" Then I noticed the same line under the buttons on the opposite side, only mirror image. I just figured it was normal at that point.

I have the 6x11 Special Edition if that matters.

macintosh tech

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
I will get some picture up shortly. Scratches may be more appropriate word to describe them, although hairline crack is what I was getting at.
What klymr and LeviG said sounds exactly like mine.

Mac Kiwi, what you have sounds different. Mine upon first inspection really do look like cracks.

I just wanted to be sure that it was normal. I had the same through pattern when I saw the second one, that it must be a part of it. Adds character I suppose.

I did some Google searching and turned up a few hits of people noting the problem, but no one seemed to have put the answer out there.

candyman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I have the Intous3 6x8" and do not have any line or scratches spoken of. Pictures would surely explain this but as far as looking at my tablet, they sound as though they are writing in error. Other than a slight downward bevel around the buttons and touch strip areas, there is nothing else to suggest any hard lines.

macintosh tech

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
I have the Intous3 6x8" and do not have any line or scratches spoken of. Pictures would surely explain this but as far as looking at my tablet, they sound as though they are writing in error. Other than a slight downward bevel around the buttons and touch strip areas, there is nothing else to suggest any hard lines.

It is quite possible that because of the smaller size of the 6x8 it isn't necessary to build them in the same way, that would explain the lines on the 6x11.

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah

I love the black color. It's great. Plus I can try a variety of different tips with this thing without having to buy new ones. :D

I was waiting and waiting for Wacom to get the 6x11 carrying case in stock so I could order both at the same time, and during the wait they sold all the 6x11 SE tablets. I was furious, until I found out that B&H also sold them. I got one of the last ones on the market through them. I haven't used it in quite a while though, except for at work where I use it for CAD jewelry design in Windows.

macintosh tech

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
I love the black color. It's great. Plus I can try a variety of different tips with this thing without having to buy new ones. :D

I was waiting and waiting for Wacom to get the 6x11 carrying case in stock so I could order both at the same time, and during the wait they sold all the 6x11 SE tablets. I was furious, until I found out that B&H also sold them. I got one of the last ones on the market through them. I haven't used it in quite a while though, except for at work where I use it for CAD jewelry design in Windows.

Jealous! I very much wanted to 6x11 SE. By the time I found out about them they were history. Not such a bad thing though, I ended up getting this one for $225 new.

Anyhow, I am at work. So no pictures today. I will get them up tomorrow.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Didn't notice this until I read this post. Identical lines beneath each of the express button pads. Must be a result of the mold like the rep said. :)

Attachments

• wacom_line.jpg
    wacom_line.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 84

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Didn't notice this until I read this post. Identical lines beneath each of the express button pads. Must be a result of the mold like the rep said. :)

Exactly what mine look like. I noticed the line on the left right away and was pissed. Then I noticed the line mirrored on the other side and chalked it up as normal. Glad we all have this figured out and that it wasn't just me seeing these. Thanks for the topic macintosh tech.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
yep same here. I think it's the 'join' where the parts of mould (thinking there are atleast 3 parts to it) are fitted together to cut out the holes etc but without seeing a mould I can't be certain.

macworkerbee

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
I have the 6x11 Intuos3 as well. After reading this thread I decided to check my tablet and found THE DREADED hairline cracks/manufactured marks/whatever we are calling them. This seems to be normal as their support person told you. Who knew?

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
There seems to be a bit of confusion. I don't think these are "Cracks" as much as they are line a simple little crease where two molds meet. It'd be pretty dang hard to get it to come out perfect when molding, so I'd say we are lucky they aren't MORE noticeable. After all, look at the back of your tablet and I'm sure you are bound to see manufacturing lines that are more noticeable.

n1co

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2009
Hairline cracks

I had these too, on my Inutos3 A5 Wide, mirrored under both sets of expresskeys. I even sent for a replacement from Amazon and the second unit had the same 'cracks'.

Just one of those things I guess, but for the price of these things you'd think Wacom could use better moulding techniques. I have plenty of other stuff with moulded plastic that doesn't have these!

I guess really it just spoiled my "new toy out of the box" moment. It's still a great piece of kit!

Rant over :/

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
Irony

Firstly, if these hairline cracks aren't positioned consistently on everyone's Intuos tablet, then something is fishy.

Secondly, its quite ironic how when I was reading the thread, there was a Wacom tablet advertisement at the bottom.
:)

UPDATE: I took a close look at my Bamboo Fun Tablet, its got symmetrical hairline scratches running from the 'back' and 'forwards' buttons just like the picture in this thread and the OP's description, so I guess Wacom is right about these molding lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.