PDA

View Full Version : Close Calls with your Macbook/iBook?

heatmiser
Jun 25, 2008, 10:04 PM
After six months of owning mine, I've only dropped it once (open and onto carpet), but in the past two weeks, I've stepped on it twice (in a way that made the back of the screen touch the ground and the body rise into the air). It's still going. I'm kind of impressed.

Which close calls have you had with your Macbook or iBook?

TwinCities Dan
Jun 25, 2008, 10:10 PM
:eek: OMG!

You gotta be more careful! But, I have broken 2 screens, one on warranty one out of pocket. :o

If you like to drink, put your computer away... ;)

Zer0
Jun 26, 2008, 03:24 AM
yes seriously OMG! :eek: :eek:

You gotta be more careful. I've had mine for about a year and a few months and so far, only once the lcd casing hit a wooden wall while I was carrying it (not too hard tho). But then I'm a lil paranoid ;)

I use it most of the times with an external keyboard and mouse while it is sitting on a griffin elevator and when I do use it on my lap, I make sure to use a keyboard skin!!

marbles
Jun 26, 2008, 03:29 AM
My closest call was nearly keeping a revA macbook , it developed a faulty HD on day 12 :eek:

krye
Jun 26, 2008, 07:57 AM
Never had any close calls. I take care of my stuff and I watch what I'm doing and where I'm going.

JayMan8081
Jun 26, 2008, 10:03 AM
I've had my dogs jump on mine a couple of times before. Both with it open and with it closed. Luckily they're both small dogs (~20 lbs.)! :)

yoak
Jun 26, 2008, 10:22 AM
My wife dropped our ibook while open, on the floor. One hinge almost broke so the screen has bee off angel ever since. Thats 2 years ago now, still works.

I also dropped it when the strap of my bag broke while biking, amazed the thing lasts 2 years later

M4CBOOK
Jun 26, 2008, 01:20 PM
I havent had any close calls with my MB unless you count when my cat runs up to i and trys to claw out the glowing apple

Beric
Jun 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
I had some $70 Grado headphones plugged in and was running (stupid me, I learned my lesson) upstairs. I tripped over the headphone cord and fell down. The headphones, 2 days old and a Christmas present, were damaged and the jack connector seriously bent beyond use. I sent in the headphones (I didn't lie, but told them the truth), and Grado fixed them for free. But the worse thing was the headphone jack on my Macbook. Unusable. I took it in, and they said accidental damage was uncovered. The Genius said I would have to pay for an $800 logic board replacement. When I told him of my plight, and how I'm a poor college student, then he told me if I bought Applecare, he'd replace the logic board for free. I had already wanted to buy Applecare, but hadn't gotten to it, so it worked for me.

Nowhere do I understand why the Genius made the deal he did, but it worked for me. :)

GuyOnTheCouch22
Jun 26, 2008, 01:43 PM
i've only had my macbook one day and i've already bumped it into a wood door while bringing it into another room. Luckily there was no damage unlike my old MBP that had 2 dents on it from dropping keys on it while it was closed on my desk.

TwinCities Dan
Jun 26, 2008, 06:44 PM
i've only had my macbook one day and i've already bumped it into a wood door while bringing it into another room. Luckily there was no damage unlike my old MBP that had 2 dents on it from dropping keys on it while it was closed on my desk.

What!?!? Did you drop the keys from a loft or something? Or do you have a school janitor size keyring? ;) Just teasin' :)

GuyOnTheCouch22
Jun 26, 2008, 08:15 PM
haha yea i have bunch of house keys and i drive a VW so that car key is huge and then i have about 20 keys for work so combined on one lanyard thingy you could say i look like a janitor

patrickmacrumor
Jun 27, 2008, 07:33 AM
It's still going. I'm kind of impressed.

If you don't start being more careful, there will be one day when it won't be going anymore.

Could you please tell me who did you manage to step on it twice ? I mean, you must be leaving your MacBook/iBook on the floor, right ?

Jabberwocky246
Jun 27, 2008, 03:11 PM
I sat my MBP on the end table next to me while I got up to get something and the cat decided that it was in his way. Stepped on the edge of it and levered it right off the table (along with his sorry ass).

I was all prepared to go online to order a replacement screen, but when I picked it up, there was no noticeable damage. None whatsoever.

That cat just used up one of his 3 remaining lives.

Zaeyde
Jun 27, 2008, 03:16 PM
Close calls? Well, I thought I killed my HDD two hours into owning it when Boot Camp failed...
Applecare was all set to send me a new one...

But I fixed it, thanks to this forum!

heatmiser
Jun 27, 2008, 03:33 PM
If you don't start being more careful, there will be one day when it won't be going anymore.

Well, sure. That's going to happen whether I'm careful or not, though. Course, that doesn't mean I shouldn't be more careful. :^)

Could you please tell me who did you manage to step on it twice ? I mean, you must be leaving your MacBook/iBook on the floor, right ?

Yup. Both times I was backing away from a door or window to keep clear of potentially looming wasps. Forgot I had it on the floor behind me. Got to remember to keep it on the couch whenever I get off.

patrickmacrumor
Jun 27, 2008, 11:04 PM
Well, sure. That's going to happen whether I'm careful or not, though. Course, that doesn't mean I shouldn't be more careful. :^)

Did not think about that :) One day will come when the computer will die LOL.

Got to remember to keep it on the couch whenever I get off.

If I were you, I would avoid putting it on the couch. You would not want to sit on it, would you ?:) I think about these things because I might have a small OCD problem.

marbles
Jun 28, 2008, 03:59 AM
off topic but...

I think about these things because I might have a small OCD problem.
OCD is not a problem , it's merely the attention to detail that others lack ;)

poolish
Jun 28, 2008, 04:43 AM
had my hi-fi plugged into the headphone port, stood up and tripped on the cable, macbook went flying. thought it was fine but like a month later realised the hard drive was broke! applecare didnt believe me it was broke, even tho there were loads of hard disk errors in the console, then a week after they sent it back stil broke, disk utility said it was broke! so then they believed me! the hinge is wonky now too. dont actually care tho, as long as it runs

tbohlsennswssrg
Jun 28, 2008, 05:14 AM
Once on a refurb macbook I owned, I slept the computer while it was logging in, because I was at school to get off to class and it ******** the motherboard :rolleyes:

patrickmacrumor
Jun 28, 2008, 01:05 PM
off topic but...

OCD is not a problem , it's merely the attention to detail that others lack ;)

LOL, but true. I never ever touch my screen with my fingers :D

jkimbro0316
Jun 30, 2008, 08:53 AM
Dropped mine down the stairs once, it only got a scratch on the side of it and still works perfectly.