PDA

View Full Version : Please! My computer crashes non-stop!!!

Wano
Dec 9, 2003, 02:15 PM
My Dual 1.25Ghz G4 Powermac keeps crashing non-stop!
I am not kidding, it feels like I am on a PC. The grey gradual scrolling screen comes up with the message saying i need to restart my computer.

I have another 200gb hd installed as well as 3rd party ram.

I was having problems with it before about two weeks ago and i took it in and they didn't find anything wrong with it...but now it keeps giving me trouble. I ran the hardware test cd and it said there was something wrong with mass storage and when i tried to see the details. Then I ran the TechTools cd that comes with applecare, and everything passed including the ram untill it got to the last task, something about storage organization and it completely froze up.

If anyone knows what I can do please post!
Thank you for any help!

blue&whiteman
Dec 9, 2003, 02:40 PM
make sure all your drive jumpers are set right. I had the same kind of problem and my jumpers were the issue.

blue&whiteman
Dec 9, 2003, 02:42 PM
I forgot to mention that the Drive 10 volume structure tool fixed the problem for me.

MoparShaha
Dec 9, 2003, 08:56 PM
Yeah, make sure your all your drives are set to CS (cable select) for the jumpers. That's the setting your computer should be using. Also, try taking out the extra RAM and see if it still panics. Bad RAM is usually the cause of kernal panics (the grey screen).

Wano
Dec 10, 2003, 12:26 AM
how do i check the driver cable?

blue&whiteman
Dec 10, 2003, 12:45 AM
what the heck is a driver cable? if you want help you have to give the proper name of what you're talking about or else we won't know what you are talking about. please be more clear.

MoparShaha
Dec 10, 2003, 12:49 AM
Take out the drives you installed, or all of them if you want to be thorough. On the back, you'll see a section that has about 5 pins by 2 pins. There should be a block stuck in them, connecting 2 pins. Look at the label on the drive, it will have a diagram of these pins. It will say "Master", "Slave", "CS".... Make sure you have the block connecting the two pins is the same position as the "CS" in the diagram. Sorry, I know that sounded confusing, if you need more help, let me know.

Wano
Dec 10, 2003, 12:51 AM
thanks! i meant cable select...sorry i am tired.

Fukui
Dec 10, 2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Wano
how do i check the driver cable?
Is your G4 using an ATA100 or 133 interface? Isn't ata 100 limited to below 200GB or something? Are the 1.2 Ghz even ata100? You might need an ATA 133 add in card.

blue&whiteman
Dec 10, 2003, 12:58 AM
his tower would have an ata 100 bus built in. its not an issue.