Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smighty24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Hey everyone in the forum world. I'm brand new to the MacRumors Forum community. I know that this has been talked about so many times but i would like to ask for everyone's opinions. I am looking to purchase a macbook in the next few months to replace my horrible 4 year old dell. I have experience with mac's and with apple but this would be my first mac laptop. The thing is, i want to get the macbook with my student discount and during the back to school promo. But i'm wonding if i should wait till they update the macbook before i buy the computer. I'm not the kinda person who has to have the best tech stuff or anything but if there is an update in the next few months i would rather wait just because it's so close. What does everyone think/feel about this? Do you think that they will update during the back to school promo??? Or close after it??? The more and more i wait the more and more i want a new computer and a mac at that but i don't mind waiting. Please help me out. Thanks!

canucks-17

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
Macbook hasn't been updated in a couple of months but the back to school promo is, I believe an iPod Touch. I'd definitely take that on top of the student discount and IMO selling the Touch. That's a lot of money saved. I got a 2.2 SR Macbook and it is plenty fast. I still try to not think about how fast the 2.4's now are when I sleep but it's great. Also if you do get a MB, upgrade the RAM to 2GB. Huge diff.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Wait until you absolutely must have a laptop to work with to buy one. This will give you time to save a little more money, and also see if Apple makes any new announcements between now and the start of fall semester.

Although I can afford one already, I'm planning to wait until late August to buy an MBP because I don't really need one yet.

And if Apple makes an update a month or so after my purchase, it really doesn't matter, either way I'm still getting a first-class machine.

Intel's new Montevina platform is set to debut on July 14, and as expected every notebook maker except for Apple has announced plans for Montevina laptops. Apple loves being secretive.

In any case, having the latest and greatest is not as important as being happy with your machine. Technology will always be outpaced by time.

So, when you need one, buy it regardless of there being an update coming out or not. Just be happy with your machine.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Wait until you absolutely must have a laptop to work with to buy one. This will give you time to save a little more money, and also see if Apple makes any new announcements between now and the start of fall semester.

Although I can afford one already, I'm planning to wait until late August to buy an MBP because I don't really need one yet.

And if Apple makes an update a month or so after my purchase, it really doesn't matter, either way I'm still getting a first-class machine.

Intel's new Montevina platform is set to debut on July 14, and as expected every notebook maker except for Apple has announced plans for Montevina laptops. Apple loves being secretive.

In any case, having the latest and greatest is not as important as being happy with your machine. Technology will always be outpaced by time.

So, when you need one, buy it regardless of there being an update coming out or not. Just be happy with your machine.

you have taken my words :eek: :D

but really now how many threads JUST like this one in the past week did we see? all of them the same! just read
none of these posts are different from each other -_-

Smighty24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Thanks guys for your help! Yeah I plan on getting an Macbook regardless of an update or not. I guess the only question i have is which one to get. I'm currently working 2 jobs during the summer to get enough money so i can get the macbook. I plan on selling the ipod touch and get the apple care and upgrading the macbook from 1gig to 4gig. But i'm going to do it myself cause it's so much cheaper. But then again i could wait off on buying the apple care and get it alittle later and maybe get a better stock machine. IDK any help with that??? Is there any pro's or con's for getting a specific computer?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Thanks guys for your help! Yeah I plan on getting an Macbook regardless of an update or not. I guess the only question i have is which one to get. I'm currently working 2 jobs during the summer to get enough money so i can get the macbook. I plan on selling the ipod touch and get the apple care and upgrading the macbook from 1gig to 4gig. But i'm going to do it myself cause it's so much cheaper. But then again i could wait off on buying the apple care and get it alittle later and maybe get a better stock machine. IDK any help with that??? Is there any pro's or con's for getting a specific computer?

Same thing as the memory applies to the Applecare. Don't buy it from Apple. Amazon usually has it cheaper, or you can also find other resellers to get it for a discount.

The MacBook right now is a great machine.

-Kevin

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
About Applecare, as long as you buy it within a year after your Macbook purchase, you're fine. You can hold off on buying Applecare until it's convenient for you to afford it. Might also be cheaper to buy on eBay or other sellers.

Shop around, but it might save you a bunch of time just to use your university discount and buy Applecare from your school, since education prices are low enough for that already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.