PDA

View Full Version : Sound Check or not?

MatchFrame
Jun 26, 2008, 02:45 AM
Do you guys set your iTunes/iPod to use Sound Check or not?

How would you rate the overall performance of this function?

rockthecasbah
Jun 26, 2008, 06:02 AM
I use sound check. I like it for it's ability to regulate the volume levels so I don't have to adjust my volume, it very rarely gives me need. I think it's especially useful when making playlists or CDs.

AppleMatt
Jun 26, 2008, 07:51 AM
Yep really like it, it's dead useful when you're playing music loudly through your Hi-Fi you don't get nasty surprises.

AppleMatt

bamaworks
Jun 26, 2008, 07:54 AM
lol I've never considered using it. Seems redundant when I can just turn the volume down then adjust it to the system.

AppleMatt
Jun 26, 2008, 08:07 AM
lol I've never considered using it. Seems redundant when I can just turn the volume down then adjust it to the system.

That's not the point of it. The point is that all your MP3/AACs are encoded at different volume levels. Therefore you might turn your Hi-Fi up to hear one, but then the next one will blow your ears because it's so loud.

AppleMatt

iscripter
Jun 26, 2008, 09:25 AM
I don't use it because it doesn't work for me. Every time I turn sound check on it doesn't seem to raise the volume of the few songs with low volume. But instead it lowers the volume of everything else to match those few songs that sound low. Also in the process everything sounds terrible this way.

Sorry sound check just doesn't work for me. I am content with just raising and lowering the volume as needed.

JayMan8081
Jun 26, 2008, 10:40 AM
I don't use Sound Check as I don't think it works well at all. I still notice several times when one song will end up being loud and the next whisper quiet so I don't see the point in using it.

Fuchal
Jun 26, 2008, 10:47 AM
Sound Check does not do a very good job. I would recommend looking into Replay Gain and letting it tag your files.

theLimit
Jun 26, 2008, 12:02 PM
I use Sound Check most of the time, but it doesn't work in some situations. Audiobooks usually end up with various volume levels over the different tracks. Gapless CDs are another problem. If Sound Check decides to make track 1 louder than track 2, and the end of track 1 leads into the beginning of track 2, there is a jarring volume change where there should be a seamless transition. For normal use for in the car or a mixed playlist it's great, but if I'm doing serious listening I turn it off.

cubbie5150
Jun 26, 2008, 12:15 PM
Never seems to work for me; I use iVolume--which isn't exactly a "bullet-proof" solution either. I've just grown accustomed to the fact that I need to have my remote handy at all times