Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
JoeK provides us with this MacNytt.com link which claims to have Apple rackmount specs, codenamed High Fidelity:

* 1U racklåda
* 2x G4/1 GHz (kan vara av nyare typ än dagens)
* 2 GB DDR RAM
* 2x 64-bitars PCI-platser
* 2x Gigabit Ethernet
* 4x hotswapbara UltraATA100 120 GB hårddiskar
* USB
* 800 Mbps FireWire
* Console-port
* VGA-port

Only hours left to see....

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I hope they are more powerful, although I doubt it, they look right for me, apart from the Firewire thing, but not long now!

Ensign

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Oh man

Now I want one, and I have no use for a server.

But that 2 Gigs of DDR...MMMMMMMM!

Maybe aI can justify using it to file serve my little home network, but they say 10.2 is going to handle all of that I need.

Would it be overkill to have one? I wonder what the video options will be. If the card is fixed to the mobo, I really don't need it, but it sound so much cooler than my piece.

Arrgh!:D

jobu

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2002
4x hotswap drives in a 1U???

Seems a bit unlikely. How would you fit 4 drives in a 1U case unless they were 2.5" drives (those are not UATA-100 compatible though). Wait for the announcement.....

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
This needs to have more than the above to be successful, it needs hot swappable plus spare Ultrawide SCSI drives, more than 2x1gig G4.....that is nothing more than the current server has. DDR memory of course and a fster system bus...

It should have an external cage for drives available...these are all standard things available from Compaq and Dell for their servers...

a 1u server for basic stuff is nice, but if I am going to lay out some cash, I need an option up to par with the big boys...

Would also be nice if they got together with Oracle, and a back up vendor (hopefully Veritas in my case :rolleyes: ) to package some software with it....This box being able to run Oracle Database with a decent back up option, would be a home run or the Enterprise market.

Also a server needs nothing more than an ATI basic chip on the MOBO...and a built in speaker for beeping :cool:....

The rumors of a front mount LCD display is nice (like my Compaq Proliant servers have) for instant CPU, Memory and IP info...

Ahhh well....10.2 server would be nice too :D

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Prolly be 2U not 1U

The photo shown at WWDC looks more like 2U at least.

Theres just no way they'd fit 2 PCI slots (horizontally) and 4 HDs in a 1U. This *is* Apple we are talking about.

I am saying 2U based on specs and the photo not 3U or 4U or even 1U due to the limited space for the alleged specs and alleged photo.

aggemam

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
Denmark
English translation

1U rack-mounting

* 2x G4/1 GHz (might be of newer type than those of today)
* 2 GB DDR RAM
* 2x 64-bit PCI slots
* 2x Gigabit Ethernet
* 4x hotswappable UltraATA100 120 GB hard drives
* USB
* 800 Mbps FireWire
* Console port
* VGA port

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
WTF!!! Why would someone think that they need more than this to succeed? Man, these are some awesome specs, and would be a great beggining for Apple in the Rack Mount Market. Holly Crap, what if they put the same board and specs into a Tower Server as well today? That would set the stage for MWNY would it not?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I'll try to get some info from the Apple rep I'm getting OS X training from this morning. He's into the server stuff, so he might know...but will he be willing to tell me?

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
price?

How much would something like this costs? Has much better specs than the top of the line Powermac... will the price reflect this? seems like this could end up being a really expensive peice of equipment.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i don't think they need more than this to succeed. if they're making a real rack mount unit then that alone will probably sell them. the key is that it will run os x. no one necessarily expected it to blow away the specs of the competition, as much as be a real competition, but with the apple name on it...

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: price?

Originally posted by zed
How much would something like this costs? Has much better specs than the top of the line Powermac... will the price reflect this? seems like this could end up being a really expensive peice of equipment.

probably... plus $999 for Mac OS X Server

arn

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Re: Re: price?

Originally posted by arn

probably... plus $999 for Mac OS X Server

arn

Man, you have been on a roll lately.....

I think that it would run somewhere int the 2,000 - 3,000 dollar range, but that means it will be somewhere around 4 or 5 k. Just a guess. About 10 minutes to gooo......:p

Hey Arn, do you think we will set any records here today?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
How did I know they wouldn't have any better processors in there...

...but the 2 gigs of DDR sounds very nice.

(Oh wait, this is still a rumor... :D )

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Re: Re: Re: price?

Originally posted by Backtothemac
About 10 minutes to gooo......:p

Doesn't this start at 9am? If so, you still have an hour and 3 minutes to wait.

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i don't think they need more than this to succeed. if they're making a real rack mount unit then that alone will probably sell them. the key is that it will run os x. no one necessarily expected it to blow away the specs of the competition, as much as be a real competition, but with the apple name on it...

As a basic server, yes the quotes are great, and just the fact that I do not need to rack my nuckles getting the guts of a G4 into a Marathon rack is great.. (I wonder what this will do to THAT market :cool:..)

However Apple NEEDS a robust server to at LEAST be able to stand toe to toe with the mid line Compaq and Dell servers used in educational facilities and Government...as well as Enterprise.

I already have 4 Marathon racked servers...and they do their job, but if I want to start spreading out my servers to handle 10 buildings, thousands of users, integrated into our AD Windows network, and in our racks...it better be mid-high end, be fault tolerant across the board, AND have additional server software to integrate into AD and some other Enterprise software, and I am a customer willing to pay the bucks for it...

Our Compaq and Dell boxes aint cheap either...but you do not see my buying a rack conversion kit for our high end Dell workstation just because it has some of the specs of a server in it.

Only time will tell, for one, I am excited.....it's about time....

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
I know this has been asked but I haven't seen the answer yet. Does anyone know if this event will be covered live?

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I'll try to get some info from the Apple rep I'm getting OS X training from this morning. He's into the server stuff, so he might know...but will he be willing to tell me?

Not if he's the same guy that I know...he likes keeping things under his hat...

His first name wouldn't happen to start with the letter "J" would it? ;)

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by nero007
I know this has been asked but I haven't seen the answer yet. Does anyone know if this event will be covered live?

there is no broadcast... so information might not become available until after the event... (3pm EST)

arn

MacHack

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2002
Chicagoland
Clustering mentioned

Did anyone see the cluster mentioned at the bottom of the article. I don't sprechen the language, but it looked like a wicked fast cluster was mentioned.

Detta är den första 1 U höga PowerPC-baserade rackservern med dubbla processorer. 42 stycken sådana passar i ett standardrack vilket ger en ganska stor prestanda ifall de klustras, ca 600 GigaFLOPS.

I agree that some of the specs are incorrect in the article, but this one is interesting. Might we see a cluster demo today??? I say yep!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.