PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for a good iBook HD replacement on the cheap?

mekkon
Jun 26, 2008, 10:19 AM
My iBook's HD is in the agonizing process of giving up the ghost, so I'll need to replace it. I know it's a daunting task, but from the look of it, a few screwdrivers and a beer should do the trick.

Have been searching for days, and the best I've seen is $60 shipped for a 160gb 5400rpm drive. I recall seeing deals far better than that in the past, and am hoping some people here might be able to give me the heads up on better deal floating around. I'm hoping to stick to 100gb or better, but could do 80gb is there's a killer deal around.

Thanks...

techound1
Jun 26, 2008, 10:48 AM
Check the "open box" and specials sections of the macmall, compusa, macconnection type places. Also take a look at ebay.

mekkon
Jun 26, 2008, 01:50 PM
Check the "open box" and specials sections of the macmall, compusa, macconnection type places. Also take a look at ebay.

Thanks, for the ideas. I had been checking around eBay, but for a new 160gb new drive it's actually a bit more expensive than newegg. There are slightly better refurb deals on eBay, but I tend to be a bit skeptical of the "new refurbished" drives from people on eBay. Seems to me that hard drives, not unlike underwear, are some of the few things really meant to be purchased new.

I guess the $60 deal looks like the ticket from newegg, but I'll keep the radar spinning for a few days...