Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonebrain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
I've had two iPods so far, the first one having been a third generation and the one I have now being one of the newer 30gig iPod videos. With both of them, I had multiple problems, very frequently.

They would hardly ever turn off when I wanted them to (the iPod video is horrible about this) and both seem to be very unresponsive and slow when scrolling through songs. I don't have the older iPod anymore so I'm not really concerned about that, but it is aggravating that my newer one is still having the same problems.

I had a thread on this earlier as well, but I also have problems with my videos when I sync them onto the iPod. Recently, when I add a video, it's washed out and pixelated for the first 10 or so seconds before it goes back to normal. I've played around with the conversion settings but I still get the same results regardless.

I've tried various things to fix it all...I've reset the device and tried other methods as well, but none work. Is this a problem that plagues all iPod users or am I just one of the lucky few to get crappy ones?

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
I have had both models you have and more and the only issues i have ever encounterted was hardrive failure about a year after buying them (except 4th gen pre photo). I know countless people with iPods and they have never had any issues at all.

Sorry to hear you have had a few issues

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I've had a 30 gig for a while now and haven't had ay trouble; my Dad's got an 80 and loves his too.

In fact, a lot of my friends have them and haven't mentioned any trouble. Maybe you got a lemon? Twice in a row? Hmm..

I'm sorry your Apple experience is less-than-desirable.

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
i had a 30gig 5g for 2 years.. until it went bad.. (I lost it...or it got stolen..) lol..:eek:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I didn't have problems. Most people don't have problems that you described. If it's a common problem, then iPod would not be the most popular digital audio player that it is today.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Yeah, I've never had the problems you have described. I have a 3rd generation and have never had any problems.

Is it possible that you're just not ripping your movies right on Handbrake which is causing the pixel washout?

!on

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
some models worse than others, i think the mini was terrible (battery) so was discontinued quicker than other models. other than that, i'm pleased to get more than two years out of them or if they perform better than minidisc or discmans.

my ipod is quite old & i never fretted over apple care or warranty. when it's old i can justify prizing it apart & fitting a new battery. it has scratches, who cares? i've had disc problems which many people have kittens over - just needs a sharp knock on it's side. it's old but still plays perfectly :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.