Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OK, so it's not really any sort of competition to the iPod, but here's MS' latest attempt at a portable music player - the Microsoft Office Radio :rolleyes:

Attachments

• radio100.jpg
    radio100.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 592

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
And, for comparison purposes:

PS. Sorry about the bad photos, that's what a cheap camera does to you!

Attachments

• mouse100.jpg
    mouse100.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 583

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
what the hell is it supposed to be/do? is it just a tuner or does it have mp3 (probably wma *shudder*) capabilities? earphones? speaker?

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It doesn't do much at all! It's basically just a tuner with a headphone socket. I guess I should've mentioned that in the original post, how stupid of me :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, and it's got a built-in "mini torch" which is only bright enough to reach about 15 cm.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Sounds like a cheap giveaway to me, something a lot of companies do. I'd be surprised if they were advertising this...

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by virividox
is that a compass? I guess if you buy that piece of junk you need a compass cuz ur totally lost.

im surprised ms didnt just swipe and ipod and paint in XP colors, that would be more MS style

Why would you buy that when a) Everyone who listens to on the go music, other than in a car, knows that radio sucks no matter what city you live in. b) you can buy a 20 dollar CD player with a radio tuner?

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by ethernet76
Why would you buy that when a) Everyone who listens to on the go music, other than in a car, knows that radio sucks no matter what city you live in. b) you can buy a 20 dollar CD player with a radio tuner?

Microshaft focuses on the SCHEDULE to get the product out, not the actual product. :)

I.E. > "We must ship something like this in 3 months. Wait its crappy? Oh well."

Maybe some day i'll understand their logic...

HAHA...when i first looked at the top picture i thought it had been photoshopped as a parody:) Then i saw the second picture....oh man.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Re: Microsoft's iPod Competitor! er...right.

Originally posted by Nermal
OK, so it's not really any sort of competition to the iPod, but here's MS' latest attempt at a portable music player - the Microsoft Office Radio :rolleyes:

Wow what a stupid thread. Seriously. This is right up there with boxers vs. briefs.
I mean did it occur to ANYONE here that this is a cheap promotional gift?!?!? (Upon further reading of the thread I see that there are a few people that have the old synapses firing.)
Microsoft gives this crap away for free all the time. THINK for a second. Why would Microsoft put the Office logo on a radio it was going to sell?!?! In fact why would MS even bother to sell a radio to begin with?!?! Answer: They wouldn't.
Critical thinking people. Try it out one of these days. :rolleyes:

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
...And here's Apple's entry into the up-and-coming Keychain market. (Personally, I think Pepsi make a much higher quality keychain.):p

Attachments

• redlightrunner_1768_673489.gif
    redlightrunner_1768_673489.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 299

Independence

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
United States
Re: Re: Microsoft's iPod Competitor! er...right.

Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Wow what a stupid thread. Seriously. This is right up there with boxers vs. briefs.
I mean did it occur to ANYONE here that this is a cheap promotional gift?!?!? (Upon further reading of the thread I see that there are a few people that have the old synapses firing.)
Microsoft gives this crap away for free all the time. THINK for a second. Why would Microsoft put the Office logo on a radio it was going to sell?!?! In fact why would MS even bother to sell a radio to begin with?!?! Answer: They wouldn't.
Critical thinking people. Try it out one of these days. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry but I just have to post this image. :D

It's being directed at anyone above the post i just quoted.

Attachments

• owned2.jpg
    owned2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 257

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Re: Re: Microsoft's iPod Competitor! er...right.

Originally posted by Independence
I'm sorry but I just have to post this image. :D

It's being directed at anyone above the post i just quoted.

Shouldn't that image read "stoned" instead of "owned"? ;)

Lethal

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Those pics have me so excited I think I'm going to .......

Attachments

• zzz.gif
    zzz.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 741

Independence

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
United States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Microsoft's iPod Competitor! er...right.

Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Shouldn't that image read "stoned" instead of "owned"? ;)

Lethal
Heheh. I have other "owned" pictures. I was thinking of posting the one with the giant ore hauler crushing the Ford pickup. ;)

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
wow. are people not thinking today?
it's obvious it's a cheap giveaway, not an actual product. the topic is sarcastic!
lol:p

lol *sigh* I think i should get more sleep....or at least be awake when posting. :)

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Interesting idea to form it in the likes of a C-clamp. Don't know if I'd buy that since I'm through with flash based products.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
wow. are people not thinking today?
it's obvious it's a cheap giveaway, not an actual product. the topic is sarcastic!
lol:p

Yes, I was being sarcastic, sorry to everyone I misled :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.