Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chopsuey158

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
USA
I'm looking to buy a monitor to go along with my new macbook pro. I'm planning on setting it up to dual screen the two and have tons of screen space. I had picked out a monitor to buy but now, looking around to find the best price, I've run into a problem. I don't know much about monitors and these two look exactly alike to me, just $60 difference. If anyone could tell me what sets these two apart that would be great. Thanks guys.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3720449&CatId=2775

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3658625&body=MAIN#detailspecs

I'm also planning to buy this cable so that I can dual screen and have HDMI on the monitor:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTUxMzU&nplm=TL952LL/A

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
The HP 2w2207h has an HDMI input and a VGA input. The HP2w2207 has a DVI input and a VGA input. That's the difference between the models.

Since you want HDMI output anyway (for?), it would make sense to purchase the monitor model that already has the HDMI port. But I'm confused as to how you intend to set this up. The MBP has a DVI output, and would require a DVI to DVI or a DVI to HDMI (depending on which monitor you choose) If you intend to connect your MBP to an HDTV, you will require the DVI to HDMI cable. But if your goal is merely to connect the MBP to a monitor, then the DVI to DVI cable will be perfect. If your goal is the ability to both connect to a monitor and an HDTV, then your best bet is to get the monitor with the HDMI port, and thus only purchase the single cable (DVI to HDMI). Good luck to you on your setup. :)

chopsuey158

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
USA
Thanks! In reading reviews for monitors they all said that HDMI was the way to go in terms of the quality of the image... will DVI be the same? Also, I plan on setting this monitor up with my macbook pro so that I'll have two screens, more than double the viewing area. I can do this with a macbook pro right?

chopsuey158

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
USA
apparently you can use the mbp screen and an external monitor, but two use two external monitors is a little more tricky and not supported officially. Answered my own question. sorry.

But does anyone know about the dvi versus the HDMI? Should I buy a DVI to HDMI cable?

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
DVI and HDMI quality will be the same. The cable you get depends on the monitor you choose. If you get the model that has the DVI and VGA inputs, then get a DVI to DVI cable.

If you get the monitor model that has HDMI and VGA inputs, get the DVI to HDMI cable.

You can run 2 monitors in addition to your MBP screen, but will need to purchase another device that is located here. I've seen others on MR who use this device and and are pleased with it, but have not tried it myself. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.