PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 DP 2.5GHz question




candyman
Jun 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hello all,

I am curious to get some feedback in regards to CPU temperature of the PowerMac G5s out there and whether or not I have an issue with my machine and should take it in to the Apple Store.

I have my processor performance set to 'Highest' to minimize the fans going into overdrive (aka 'takeoff mode!").

At idle, my CPU temps read:

CPU A: 57.2/135.0 (C/F)
CPU B: 69.6/156.2 (C/F)

However, if I start taxing the system they jump up considerably, and there is an even greater gap between CPU B's temp over CPU A.

These are the extremes I have gotten when running the processors at 100%:

CPU A: 64.4/148.0 (C/F)
CPU B: 88.7/191.7 (C/F)

As you see, it jumped from 12C warmer up to 24C. Is this a serious issue to worry about? I have cleaned out the case and checked for any coolant leaks of which there are none visible. From other research online, it seems normal for the temps to be off +/-5C, usually with A being warmer than B.

Would a Thermal Re-calibration at the Genius Bar help things? I would just like to check others experiences and see if this is something I should pay closer attention to and in more detail.



FF_productions
Jun 27, 2008, 01:11 AM
Hmm, that sounds awfully high, especially at idle. I'd take it to Apple and play it safe just so things don't get worse if it does die.:eek:

Lord Zedd
Jun 27, 2008, 05:02 AM
Get a 120mm fan and put it at the radiator inlet. While I don't have a 2.5, this mod cooled my CPU temperatures by almost 30*f at idle and more than 40*f at full load without an increase in noise. Now instead of idling at 120*f and heating up to 160*f at load the temperatures are 85/120*f. The only fan that ever speeds up is the X1900's GPU fan, the CPU fans never go above 500rpm.

If you want a link to the Apple Service Diagnostic disk to recalibrate it yourself then PM me.

zmttoxics
Jun 27, 2008, 07:40 AM
Get a 120mm fan and put it at the radiator inlet. While I don't have a 2.5, this mod cooled my CPU temperatures by almost 30*f at idle and more than 40*f at full load without an increase in noise. Now instead of idling at 120*f and heating up to 160*f at load the temperatures are 85/120*f. The only fan that ever speeds up is the X1900's GPU fan, the CPU fans never go above 500rpm.

If you want a link to the Apple Service Diagnostic disk to recalibrate it yourself then PM me.

I would love to know where in the system you are drawing the power from for that fan (where is it connected)! :D I would love to do the same thing, mine runs around 49-51 C.

candyman
Jun 27, 2008, 09:47 AM
I would love to know where in the system you are drawing the power from for that fan (where is it connected)! :D I would love to do the same thing, mine runs around 49-51 C.

I second this!

macworkerbee
Jun 27, 2008, 09:58 AM
Wow, that extra fan looks like a great idea. Any chance of getting a short tutorial on what you did and what you bought to do it? Sorry, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to stuff like that.

Lord Zedd
Jun 27, 2008, 01:54 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5143192&postcount=5

I used the spare power connector on the hard drive and used the 5v power instead of the full 12v. Full voltage made too much fan noise and 5v spins it fast enough to cool very well. It fits my dual core 2.3 perfectly, all thats needed to hold it in place is friction from the plastic shroud.

Any 120mm case fan from a computer store will work. Total cost should be $10 or less. Other models my not be as easy, the 2.5's radiator size may require a small zip-tie or two to hold the fan in place.

I can't post a link to the disk in the forum since its technically pirating. The only legal way to get a disk is by working for Apple, even then its internal use only.

macworkerbee
Jun 27, 2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info.

candyman
Jun 30, 2008, 07:40 PM
OK, here are the latest details. Took it into the Apple Store tonight. After having explained the issues and the many solutions I have tried as well as the AHT error code (2STH/1/2:CPU B AD7417AD1) that I had gotten, they told me CPU B is going.

They did not run any diagnostics as it would have yielded the same results I had already gotten. Also, they told me a thermal re-calibration would do no good. At the least they saved me the $85 charge to run a diagnostics test.

The cost of parts and labor if I want to get it repaired - $1,072.00

So, I have decided I am going to part ways with the machine as I worry it will only happen again in the future. This is the second time since I have owned the machine, the CPU has gone bad. There are no leaks from the liquid cooling system which is good. Too bad I'm two months outside my AppleCare and there is nothing else I can do.

Now, a new question in regards to a new machine. As a graphic designer, could I get away with a nice new 24" iMac 3.06GHz or am I best to stay in a toper and go with a bottom of the line MacPro?

Cost is an issue here as I really counted on having this machine a couple more years and just recently upgraded it to 4GB RAM. I also have an upgraded graphics card. I realize you can max out the iMac to 4GB, but can you easily swap out the graphics card or even put in a larger HD if wanted?

Thanks for all your help with this. I am really disappointed this is the end result. I really like this machine and am amazed for a top of the line product to have this many issues with it.

zmttoxics
Jun 30, 2008, 07:43 PM
OK, here are the latest details. Took it into the Apple Store tonight. After having explained the issues and the many solutions I have tried as well as the AHT error code (2STH/1/2:CPU B AD7417AD1) that I had gotten, they told me CPU B is going.

They did not run any diagnostics as it would have yielded the same results I had already gotten. Also, they told me a thermal re-calibration would do no good. At the least they saved me the $85 charge to run a diagnostics test.

The cost of parts and labor if I want to get it repaired - $1,072.00

So, I have decided I am going to part ways with the machine as I worry it will only happen again in the future. This is the second time since I have owned the machine, the CPU has gone bad. There are no leaks from the liquid cooling system which is good. Too bad I'm two months outside my AppleCare and there is nothing else I can do.

Now, a new question in regards to a new machine. As a graphic designer, could I get away with a nice new 24" iMac 3.06GHz or am I best to stay in a toper and go with a bottom of the line MacPro?

Cost is an issue here as I really counted on having this machine a couple more years and just recently upgraded it to 4GB RAM. I also have an upgraded graphics card. I realize you can max out the iMac to 4GB, but can you easily swap out the graphics card or even put in a larger HD if wanted?

Thanks for all your help with this. I am really disappointed this is the end result. I really like this machine and am amazed for a top of the line product to have this many issues with it.

I think a cheap quad mac pro (the first gen refurb) might be a perfect replacement for a dead quad g5.

candyman
Jul 1, 2008, 09:29 AM
The more research I do, the more I am leaning towards the iMac 3.06GHz model and max it out to 4GB with aftermarket RAM. As long as I can get 1-2 working years out of it, I can then hand it down to my wife and then make another serious investment into a new MacPro.

As she is a very basic user (internet, music, word processing, etc.) she would still have plenty of computer after it being only 2 years old. She uses my 6 year old Ti PowerBook G4 now and it suits her just fine.

As she is finishing school working on her RN degree, I think the iMac is the best case scenario for now and then when we can save up the extra cash, I'll just get a whole new system.

Plus I'll be able to use her to get a student discount and save a few bucks and get a free iPod touch!