Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clownius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Hi Everybody!

Well it seems that my beloved Ipod Mini is on life support so to speak :(

So I'd thought about upgrading it to a Classic considering that i would like to have all my music with me and my collection at the present time is too big for either versions of the current Nano.

So like the title says i have a couple of questions about the Ipod Classic :)

I've heard that the classic is very sluggish when moving through the list of songs. This is disheartening considering that i am very fickle when choosing what to listen to. I've also heard that the lag gets worse when there are more songs. How bad would the lag be with about 12gbs of music?

Is the coverflow also sluggish, because that would probably be my method of choosing what album to listen to. I like the novelty of it.

I've also heard that there is a lot of skipping sometimes with the classic. Is there anyway to rectify this? Are there any situations that exacerbate the skipping issue?

Hows the battery life of the Classic? Does it actually last for the advertised battery life? Because my mini never ever made it close to the advertised battery life, even when i first had it.

Would there be any interesting upgrades for the September update? Even though my ipod will probably die soon I'm going to wait till the update in September.

Lastly, whats the likelihood of a 16gb version of the nano being available in the September update because i reckon that would also suffice.

Well i hope you all can answer my questions, i know they are probably asked here a lot so sorry for being a pest.

Cheers :)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Hi Everybody!

Well it seems that my beloved Ipod Mini is on life support so to speak :(

So I'd thought about upgrading it to a Classic considering that i would like to have all my music with me and my collection at the present time is too big for either versions of the current Nano.

So like the title says i have a couple of questions about the Ipod Classic :)

I've heard that the classic is very sluggish when moving through the list of songs. This is disheartening considering that i am very fickle when choosing what to listen to. I've also heard that the lag gets worse when there are more songs. How bad would the lag be with about 12gbs of music?

Is the coverflow also sluggish, because that would probably be my method of choosing what album to listen to. I like the novelty of it.

I've also heard that there is a lot of skipping sometimes with the classic. Is there anyway to rectify this? Are there any situations that exacerbate the skipping issue?

Hows the battery life of the Classic? Does it actually last for the advertised battery life? Because my mini never ever made it close to the advertised battery life, even when i first had it.

Would there be any interesting upgrades for the September update? Even though my ipod will probably die soon I'm going to wait till the update in September.

Lastly, whats the likelihood of a 16gb version of the nano being available in the September update because i reckon that would also suffice.

Well i hope you all can answer my questions, i know they are probably asked here a lot so sorry for being a pest.

Cheers :)

I've had a 160GB classic since last September.

The original firmware wasn't ready for release :eek: so it was very sluggish at first. I've got 110GB of music on mine and with the later firmware updates I've had no problems with the speed of the classic.

To me, coverflow is just eye candy, a nice gimmick for Steve Jobs to show off on stage, but not much use in reality. With a small collection such as yours it may be ok, but I prefer to search by Artist.

I've never had any problem with skipping.

Battery life is awesome. I have had up to 50 hours out of mine, the classic has the best battery life of any iPod yet.

I've heard no rumours about any updates to the classic.

There has to be a good chance of seeing 16GB in the nano but no one can say for sure until Apple announce the new iPod range in a couple of months time.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
My classic isn't as responsive as any other iPod I've used. The wheel doesn't work unless I apply pressure, and using the menus can be a pain. Then it'll work fine for a few minutes... then go back to being crap.

I might complain to Apple about it actually.

And coverflow sucks battery life and isn't that good. It works 10 times better on the nano.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
My classic isn't as responsive as any other iPod I've used. The wheel doesn't work unless I apply pressure, and using the menus can be a pain. Then it'll work fine for a few minutes... then go back to being crap.

Take it back, that doesn't sound right :(

Mine just needs a light touch to scroll the wheel.

Clownius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Now now you two no need to start a fight :p

Thanks for the answers!

Although i do have another question. I think something was probably wrong with my Ipod. Considering that even though my ipod had battery if i didnt use it for more than a day when i took it off hold and pressed play it didn't respond. I actually have to press down on menu for a while and then it turned back on with significantly less battery (maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 less) than what i left it as. I'm just wondering if this was normal :confused:

OH! and yes about the September updates, when in September are they normally? By any chance do you know how long do they usually take to arrive in Australia?

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.