Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
As a student who travels a lot, it is perfect for me. I have a Mac Pro at home, so the idea of the horsepower or ports is obviously not an issue for me. It is my portable connection to my home network via Back To My Mac, it is perfect for lectures, it travels light, it works great for watching movies on the road, and it's just so bitchin'. I am really pleased not to be hauling around a MBP or MB any longer.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I had my first real play with one last night and I'm in love. It was wonderful and although I love my 12" powerbook, it surpassed my expectations and I'll most probably drop the cash on an MBA revision 2 :).

The majority of my work is word processing, excel, viewing images, the internet, and email, which the MBA more than covers. I spend most of my time working out of home, so the weight and profile is perfectamondo for me. I think it's a lovely machine.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I had my first real play with one last night and I'm in love. It was wonderful and although I love my 12" powerbook, it surpassed my expectations and I'll most probably drop the cash on an MBA revision 2 :).

The majority of my work is word processing, excel, viewing images, the internet, and email, which the MBA more than covers. I spend most of my time working out of home, so the weight and profile is perfectamondo for me. I think it's a lovely machine.

I've just fired up excel from Office for Mac 2004 for the first time, and it sadly runs like a one-legged dog :(.... so I'm installing the trial of iWork 08 to see if that is an avenue. Rather not install VMware & XP unless really needed... only due to HDD constrictions...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Because it's just so right for some people.

I have a customer who bought a fully specced out MacBook late last year and replaced it with a MacBook Air once he'd held one.

He wanted the lightest Mac he could get and at the time the MacBook was it. I moved everything over to the MBA for him and he hasn't used his MacBook since.

Some people need as little weight as possible without sacrificing too much.

aussie.damo

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
I bought mine as a bit of an indulgence, I guess. I have a (work provided) Dell that stays cable locked to my desk at the office and a mac mini hooked up to my TV at home. The MBA was the perfect addition to my computing family. It allows me to do my internety / itunesy / iphotoy stuff at home, on the road and on holidays. The size and weight make it a no-brainer travel companion, especially compared with the 4KG of Dell I would otherwise have to use. Versus the Macbook, I appreciate the backlit keyboard (I had an MBP before this, so would've really missed that) and the build quality. Obviously the weight difference is a big thing too!

Probably the biggest reason I bought an MBA was OS X. I was very close to buying the Sony TZ, but couldn't see myself being happy with Vista (which I use, and detest, at work) or XP (how old is that now?)

I recognise that the MBA isn't for everyone - that's fine. It is, however, the right computer for me.

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
For the same reason someone buys a two seater sports car instead of a gas saver... or a luxury car instead of an economy car. I suppose it's because "they can".

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Because for me it's the best notebook Apple have ever made :)
Yes, it's not as powerful as a MacBook Pro, or as cheap as a MacBook, but I absolutely love mine: It has more than enough power for everything I need to do on it (including running virtual machines, CS3, Eclipse and the normal day to day apps such as Office) and it weighs less than a flea that's been on a crash diet (OK, slight exaggeration, but it is very, very light)
It also has a gorgeous screen, and a superb backlit keyboard which make using it a joy

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I had been using a Thinkpad T42p as my sole computing platform. It got annoying to keep tethering devices to it (external storage, sync my remote, sync my ipod, sync my phone, etc), and there were things I wanted to do that were always on (and the laptop, naturally, wasn't). so I decided to replace with a desktop to which I could attach all these things and just leave them there.

Then, my laptop could just be for mobility. And at that, the Air is perfect. I never used my optical drive while away from my desk on my old computer. I don't need hundreds of gigs of disk space, just enough for the projects I'm currently working on. I don't carry around a ton of USB devices and need lots of ports. I don't even need tons of speed: the dual core is faster than my old laptop. It's perfect, and it's light.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I bought my MBA because I wanted pure, untethered mobility and this machine provides that for me while my other Macs are anchored to desks and peripherals and suchlike. I can quickly grab the MBA and take it with me in an instant, whether it be out to the deck for fresh air or out around town or on a long trip. Love the light weight and sleek appearance of the machine but more than that I appreciate its functionality and full-sized keyboard.

kuribohbabylon

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I picked up my MBA originally from the wow factor. In the week that I've had it though I've found myself using it way more than my mini at home or my MBP that I have for work. Its a joy to use around the house and a lot easier to lug around than the MBP17. All of my big computing I do on my other Macs and this is just my run around and use wherever mac.

ryan.hayes79

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
I have a 24" iMac at home that has all the horsepower I need. I previously had a MacBook and that was ok but I didn't use it half as much as I use this. I use my air every day and right now I am sat on the back of a bus having just done some work I would have normally waiting for me at home.

I personally wouldn't have one as my main machine but it pretty much is perfect for what I require!

Love it.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I bought a macbook air for one reason only. And that is that it is so light that I don't even feel it in my bag. It is a huge relieve for me and open up new worlds. A world where in I always have my computer with me wherever I go in europe.

The bonus was the wonderful screen that is the best of any laptop I've ever seen. Internet with the SSD version is a great experience with instant speed.

Most people never really understood the place of the macbook air in computer world. It isn't about specs or speed, it isn't even about a gadget. It is all about having a truth portable computer anywhere with you without the burden of weight and space.

With kind regards,
Bas

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
It's the only Mac that fits in my stylish metrosexual briefcase.:p

Seriously, I want OSX in the smallest package possible for travel and the MB didn't trip my trigger for various reasons and my 12" PB was getting a bit too long in the tooth.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
For the same reason someone buys a two seater sports car instead of a gas saver... or a luxury car instead of an economy car. I suppose it's because "they can".

yes, because every single one of us is a flashy jerk:rolleyes:

some people need portablility, the MBA has that down pat:apple:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
We chose one for my wife's law practice because:
* she wanted as small and light a computer as possible because takes it with her everywhere (court, office, home).
* I wanted her to get a Mac to ease my support burden

It easily has the power for her needs (Office suite, email, internet, other basic business apps).

And it looks good. That's a practical concern for a professional who deals directly with clients (as well as an aesthetic one). Clients tend to choose professionals that look successful and tend to have more confidence in their advice, too.

That’s what my wife always says, anyway, when she buys clothes...and shoes...and her car...and her computer...ack. :rolleyes:

urbnsoul

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
I bought one because as a college student I am always carrying my books and whatnot with me. Walking between classes on campus with 3+ books plus a 5 pound MPB was more than doable, but the MBA does indeed give my back a little rest.

Grizzly Adams

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
Because I don't want to have to lug a gigantic hunk of crap around with me to school or anywhere else that I go. My MBA is no problem to take with me anywhere. I have used my mom's 17" Dell and that thing is massive, I couldn't imagine leaving the house with that thing. Plus the MBA is just so cool :cool:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Because they don't need a disc drive, they don't have peripherals, they don't install software; their printers are network and they have a few good wireless network.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Why do people constantly question this machine? I would never see a "Why do people buy an iMac?" thread. These are great machines that do exactly what they are meant to.

I think the MacBook is kind of cr@ppy but I don't make posts about it, and I do understand that a regular MacBook is a great solution for many users.

Jaydhil24

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
Personally, I would just purchase a MacBook if you are always on the run and bypass the ultra-thin style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.