Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
DigiTimes posts a news report claiming that an upcoming iMac revision will incorporate a Magnesium-Alloy case (chassis?)-- as opposed to a Stainless Steel and Zinc Alloy case that the current LCD iMac uses. This mostly appears to be a cost-cutting move, along with increased use of plastic parts. Whether this will cause a cosmetic change in the iMac's case is unclear based on the article.

Apple's iMac has recently been rumored to see a major revision in early 2004, with questions of a return of the Cube form-factor in later reports

The article also notes:

Apple in September suspended a plan to integrate a Tablet PC and DeskNote into a new line of products, dubbed the “New New iMac,” due to cost considerations.

Presumably this refers to Digitimes' previous claims that Apple was planning to launch a wireless display for a desktop system in early 2004. It appears that this project has been put on hold due to cost considerations -- at least according to this report. Assuming such a project existed, it may be the fuel for the many Apple Tablet rumors that have been recently circulating. Of note, however, Digitimes reports have been of questionable accuracy in the past.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Honestly, this article is hard to follow.

I don't know what to make of the TabletPC/Desknote thing.

In case anyone else is confused from the article:

iMac = CRT iMac
New iMac = LCD iMac
New New iMac = This Tablet/iMac thing

arn

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I thought the metal boxes hidden behind the fancy plastic always looked more like galvanized sheet metal than a fancy alloy to me.

Of course that spiffy chunk of stainless steel poking out the iMacs case means ...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Just slap a G5 in this puppy so I can get a new computer already. What a sweet computer that would be with a 20" LCD. Saw one at the Apple Store last week and it is a thing of beauty.

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
exactly

Originally posted by rdowns
Just slap a G5 in this puppy so I can get a new computer already. What a sweet computer that would be with a 20" LCD. Saw one at the Apple Store last week and it is a thing of beauty.
this is what the new iMac is going to be : a G5 iMac,
exactly the same way that recently the iBook became iBook G4.

MacMarino

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
2-in-1

So i was thinking when i saw the tablet being mentioned and how people are always saying they want an iMac with a detachable screen. How about a screen that clips in and out of a a kind of cradle on the metal arm, but can be used as a tablet PC when disconnected from the main body...and when you reconnect the 2 parts everything just syncs together. Could it work?

MacMarino

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
confused...

I think often these Asian reports get confused, or as with all journalism, over exagerated.

My guess is we will see a SE iMac, maybe in Alu for $lots and a mini-Tablet.

To me, a removable screen has no real benefit as it's passive/dumb, but a full tablet running X has uses and can run ARD which has the client built into Panther.

Let's see what ThinkSecret says...

TomSmithMacEd

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2003
Fargo, ND
Re: 2-in-1

Originally posted by MacMarino
So i was thinking when i saw the tablet being mentioned and how people are always saying they want an iMac with a detachable screen. How about a screen that clips in and out of a a kind of cradle on the metal arm, but can be used as a tablet PC when disconnected from the main body...and when you reconnect the 2 parts everything just syncs together. Could it work?

MacMarino

If Apple could pull this off it would be revolutionary.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
Re: Re: 2-in-1

Originally posted by TomSmithMacEd

Many people have tried and failed with this idea, yes if apple could pull it off then you will have every major PC manfaturer scrabbling to keep up.

I see no REAL benefit to this, but hey its a nice feature :)

Unclezeppy

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2003
Shenzhen China
Since they are starting to produce the iMac here in China I presume the price will be cheaper at least. It's supposed to be the new "all plastic?!" version, what ever that means. It might be just a different model targeting the local schools and not for export.

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
I could believe a swivel top lap top with a touch sensitive screen that would make perfect sense, if a little expensive, but it make no sense to do this to an iMac.

As far as a change in design I believe that what they have said is entirely reasonable. Apple would always want to try to reduce costs, they have too. We all know a change is coming to accommodate the G5, it is just a matter of when. Given the recent introduction of he 20" version I find it hard to believe that the new model will debut in January.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
i found the article interesting but notice the comment sales are lackluster because of the price. i disagree sales are lackluster because it has the never advancing G4 and then you cant keep the monitor! Seems like know one ever wants to mention the slow G4 in recent articles. they dont even compare G4 to to the new AMDs or Intel why? because G4 had fallen so so far back. its pathetic.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Frankly, the amount of money it would take to produce a screen that would update fast enough wirelessly is insane. Forget 802.11b, ou need 802.11g or even a.

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe

YES, but it is faisable

the screen just need to contain the battery, and to be connected via Airport to the dock station; there is nothing unrealistic here.
the only question is more : is Apple going to do it seeing how bad is the Tablet Pc market!!!????
less than 25% of the expected sale volume!!!!!

I think that to remain an iMac, it as to remain a block, but indded the screen could be detacjed from the dock/station/core.

Imagine, at home you have enough staying at the desk, you can go on the sofa, or in the bed, watch a movie or check your email....
brilliant. Apple let's do it, BUT put a G5 in it, otherwise it will be immediately outdated, even if the concept is brilliant.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest

This is already done in TabletPC/Notebook form factor. There is no syncing because the processor is in the tablet.

I see no benefit to this in a desktop form factor because you probably want a more sizeable screen in a desktop. You wouldn't want to be lugging it around as a tablet.

I do see this as a possible evolutionary step for Apple's laptop line.

b_riggs

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
North Carolina
new iMac

I think a G5 iMac would be a great move for Apple. Many people have expressed the opinion that the powerbook needs to be next with G5s but I disagree. Apple is, and should be, about making money and gaining market share. A G5 powerbook will not be feasible for another 8 months or so. But it seems quite feasible for the iMac so why not do it now? it should sell very well, make money and gain some market share too.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Has anyone touched the screens on the 20" or 17" iMac??? Those things are already monstrous, without a wireless card, processor, hard drive, RAM, etc. Unless Apple finds a way to make the screens with about 15 lbs. less extra weight in them before doing a tablet, they can't.

But that doesn't stop us from speculating :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I noticed the current imac is selling only at 1/3 of the original crt imac. i would like a new aluminum chassis thats is wrapped in see through colored plastic so you can gander at the G5. very interesting that they put a clear plastic cover on the G5 machines so you can admire the interior. i bet see through will be coming back to the imac!

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Is it just me or is the top of the line iMac slowly moving away from my "consumer" type budget?

Let's hope that cheaper materials will also result as a price drop for the consumer and not only a bigger margin of profit for the manufacturer.

Sure G5 would be nice even though it still looks like it's a little soon but since I can't afford a G5 tower WITHOUT the LCD I don't see how I'll be able to affoard a G5 iMac WITH an integrated LCD.

I guess I'll have to swith to the even more budget eMac category. Too bad, I really love the way the iMac looks. And where is my unexpensive headless mac? ^_^

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I personally think this is a classic rumour site shenanigan…

Create an exciting rumour to help generate traffic to the website
Run with it
When it starts to get stale kill it with talk of “design issues”, “cost issues” etc.
Replace with new rumour to help generate traffic to the website
Run with it
When it starts to get stale……

All the while Apple themselves say not a word and continue on their [unknown] development schedule.

Apologies for the cynicism, I’ll get me coat
ciao
Vanilla

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC

Dare to dream. That would be sweet but only IF they didn't change the pricing, actually if they could pull the pricing to just under two grand ($1999). It seems like Apple had almost figured out the consumer masses when the first iMac came out, even though it too was a little over what consumers wanted to spend. then when the iMac started getting close to the (magical) grand sweet spot you couldn't practically spit in someone's office/house without it landing on an iMac. I personally knew a few companies in Atlanta who bought them because they "looked cool" but also made good machines for certain levels of workers... mind you, these companies were peecee f***wad mentality types previous to this.

Finally Apple was gaining market share, which regardless of what anyone says thinking they're a niche company.. BS!!! Niches shrink, Apple needs to expand their market, end of discussion not open for debate! How do you do that? Sell more units! How do you sell more units? Make 'em affordable. How do you do that? How the heck do I know?!? But finding a way to build super cool machines with parts that may cut corners is one way, don't have to be like Dull who has the cheapest, most piece of crap computers out there and are gaining the world domination pretty much but undercutting everyone, but one does need to price and price well.

$2199 for a consumer machine is laughable. BUT some consumer and prosumers would give it a look if it ducked just under the four digit rollover(s).

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland

agreed :D

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Good move if they can reduce eMac costs then they can reduce the pricing to say around $500 bucks.

I figure before Apple upgrades the iMac to a G5 platform we will see atleast one more speed bump from the G4 line up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.