Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CollateralDmg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
I'm on the verge of getting a touch and i have a question regarding the Maps app. I know you can look look up directions and what not while in WiFi range, but is there any way to take the directions with you? If I look up how to get somewhere and then get in my car, will the touch be of any use? Does it save the turn by turn directions, similar to the printout on google maps? Does it save any of the map images for use outside wifi reception? Thanks for any info.

PS, with a new iPhone on the horizon is now a really bad time to buy a touch or would it seem a 2nd gen is still a ways off?

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
Yes. Say you have wifi at home and you looked up directions. When you get to your car, just touch map icon, press search and press the book icon in search bar. You will then see on the bottom of your screen three tabs that read bookmarks, recents, and contacts. Touch on recents, then on your wanted directions. A map will most likely pop up. If this happens press the eye icon at bottom of screen and press list. Ghis will give you written directions. You can also get turn by turn as well from this screen.

-cfs

CollateralDmg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Awesome, thanks! I can see this as being a very useful feature. Being able to whip out my touch and grab directions rather than going on my PC and printing them is certainly a nice extra.

Grentz

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
I have found that if you make your directions, then zoom in and scroll around on the route on the map, then when offline you can go back and view the map as well.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
I have found that if you make your directions, then zoom in and scroll around on the route on the map, then when offline you can go back and view the map as well.

nice. I'll try that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.