PDA

View Full Version : Need long space between mp3s on burned CD

CPJ
Jun 27, 2008, 01:16 PM
I am looking to burn CDs/DVDs with mp3s and have a full one minute of silence between each song. As far as I can tell, iTunes allows me up to 5 seconds between each song. Is there a way to do this that is obvious and I'm just missing it?

Thanks!
CPJ

Consultant
Jun 27, 2008, 01:29 PM
With Audacity or such tool, make a blank song with 1 minute of silence. Insert in playlist, burn.

dengar169
Jun 27, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'm not TOO SURE but Toast might let you do this. I think when you burn an audio CD you can specifiy how long a gap you place between tracks. But never tried it with an mp3 cd. Give it a shot
edit: Consultant's way works too ;)

Consultant
Jun 27, 2008, 02:27 PM
Looking at toast 7.1.2 (current version is 9?), it can only do up to 8 seconds of pause. Not sure about newer versions.

CPJ
Jun 27, 2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks, you guys!

Consultant, my husband, who says I'M the genius, came up with exactly the same idea. I didn't have a program to make it so I went out and found a blog with a blank mp3 on it that was an hour long, shortened it to a minute and then realized I now have to convert a lot of my music files to mp3 format.

So now, what's a good program to convert m4a and other files to mp3?

If it's not one thing, it's another.

Thanks! I appreciate your input.

Nermal
Jun 27, 2008, 11:22 PM
So now, what's a good program to convert m4a and other files to mp3?

iTunes can do it. Set your import format to MP3 in the preferences then select the songs and do Advanced > Convert Selection to MP3.

alphaod
Jun 28, 2008, 04:26 AM
Have you tried using Garage Band to make a 1 minute long silent track; add the track to iTunes, create playlist, and add the 1 minute silent track between each song and then burn it?

Nevermind, already been posted... :rolleyes:

Well for conversions, I use Winamp for batch conversions, but of course that's for Windows...

CPJ
Jun 28, 2008, 12:30 PM
Have you tried using Garage Band to make a 1 minute long silent track; add the track to iTunes, create playlist, and add the 1 minute silent track between each song and then burn it?

Nevermind, already been posted... :rolleyes:

Well for conversions, I use Winamp for batch conversions, but of course that's for Windows...

Oh, man, if there's one program I haven't gotten a grasp on, it's Garage Band - I LOVE music, but I'm so musically uninclined, and I've messed with GB and find it confounds me anyway. I leave that to my genius hubby.

That said, thank you for the suggestion. And you're right; Winamp won't do me any good. I've burned protected AAC files onto a CD and then ripped them back and then could convert them with iTunes. From now on, everything gets converted and I'm storing the mp3s separately. I'll go through a few blank CDs, but at a quarter apiece, I'm not too concerned. My time is what I waste. Heh.

Thank you all for helping me solve my situation - I finally completed the first CD last night. It will take me less time to do the next!

Gratefully,
CPJ

CPJ
Jul 3, 2008, 02:07 AM
Well, I succeeded in burning a CD with 150 songs, including the one full minute of silence between each. Great if I'm playing it on my computer, but I'm not. I'm playing on a DVD player that plays mp3s. So the problem is that the player doesn't read the CD the same way the computer does and so it doesn't put the space between each song.

I figured I needed to rename the silent mp3 each time I loaded it, but iTunes immediately recognizes it as the same file, regardless what I name it.

I really need that minute of silence between songs; it's just not optional.

Anyone have suggestions how I can make the player not recognize the file as the same one over and over?

Thanks!
CPJ

CPJ
Jul 13, 2008, 08:39 AM
Can anyone help me with this?

I've tried a number of different things. I've tried burning the disk from the Finder instead of iTunes, I've copied the disk made by someone else that actually works, but my copy does not work. I've taken the silent mp3 files from the disk that works and used them on a new disk, but it still doesn't work. I've made separate silent files in mp3 Trimmer. No dice.

Nothing seems to work, but I know this can be done. The person who made the disk that works is on a PC. I have yet to ask him what program he used, but I have my doubts that it will be one I can use on my Mac.

I'm going to try and learn how to do some things in Garage Band and I've been told to try iMovie and iDVD, so we'll see.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm wide open.

Thanks,
CPJ