Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Looks amazing too. I watched the live stream of the WWI Opening Ceremonies.

I wish Blizzard would give us a release month/date/sometime for SC2 and WotLK.

I gets the feeling this wont be coming out until the end of next year, beginning of 2010.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Mac requirements?

w00master said:
Just an FYI everyone, Diablo 3 will ship simultaneously on the Mac and PC!

Yes, Blizzard have been releasing their games for both Mac and PC at the same for quite a number of years now. It's also usually a dual-system package, i.e. you get both versions in the same box, so there's no need to hunt for a Mac version.

I sure hope Starcraft II and Diablo III can work on a Core 2 Duo Mac mini... that GMA950 is surely going to be a problem. :(

On the other hand, Apple will probably update the Mac mini and/or release a replacement system before either games are released. :D

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
please let it have third person camera and WASD controls... please please please.

I cant get used to isometric bird view camera and mouse control. its so 1995.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Does anyone know if D2 will play nice on modern Macs? I'm interested in reinstalling on my Mac Pro or iMac. Both running leopard

padré

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
D2 on macpro and macbook pro

it works fine for me on leopard on both my macbook pro and my mac pro

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
please let it have third person camera and WASD controls... please please please.

It's Diablo... not Hellgate or Oblivion.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It's Diablo... not Hellgate or Oblivion.

Actually, Hellgate runs fine on any mac (with XP). I play it on my MBP with an x1600 card in it, and I recently installed it on a friends PC that has a GMA950 in it.. and it's not spectacular, but it's very playable. FSS has really polished the game, and had they released it about a year later then they did, it would be, IMO, a worthy competitor.

As for Diablo III, I'm not sure how I feel about it. The 3D design reminds me too much of Warcraft, and I'm not a big fan of that style. Hopefully they change the gamma or something of the game to make it feel more "darker"...

and what witch doctor looks amazing!

martychang

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
welcome to 2008

goodbye 1996

What? Isometric is superior for controlling complex action, which is what Diablo is. Time has nothing to do with it.

Not to mention if you actually watched the video you'd see that it's isometric mouse control already. I HIGHLY doubt they'll scrap it now.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
What? Isometric is superior for controlling complex action, which is what Diablo is. Time has nothing to do with it.

Not to mention if you actually watched the video you'd see that it's isometric mouse control already. I HIGHLY doubt they'll scrap it now.

Not to mention that any other display method would be highly inefficient for a game such as Diablo III and Starcraft II, just like any MegaMan game that isn't in 2D just plain sucks. ;)

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008

1)yes it has, and thats why its standard to use WASD in this day and age. a standard which WoW helped set.

2)I did watch the video(WTH would I comment if I had not?) and I never asked them to scrap it. I asked them to add WASD and third person view - See guild wars and neverwinter nights, which have both Point and click and WASD.

Not to mention that any other display method would be highly inefficient for a game such as Diablo III and Starcraft II, just like any MegaMan game that isn't in 2D just plain sucks. ;)

WASD would obviously suck for an RTS, however Diablo and starcraft are not the same thing.
As for your MegaMan argument, - it has nothing to do with MegaMan not being able to translate into 3D. Just like Zelda made the jump, and like Metroid and Super Mario and Metal Gear solid and so on and so forth, so can MegaMan.
People just got to be willing to move with the times.

My own theory is that Blizzard dont want their Wow Audience to go to Diablo III. Thats why they seperate the two games with different control schemes and such. it makes sense. WoW is a money hat with over 10 million subscribers. It does not make sense to take players over to a free game that will only give them revenue once.

nhexima

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
This looks pretty good, it's great that Blizzard is so supportive of the Mac platform. I love that they kept the isometric viewpoint, unlike say, Fallout 3.

The thing I'm worried about is if my semi-new iMac and my friend's semi-new MacBook (both from January of this year) will be able to play it whenever this comes out, probably mid-2010, I'd guess. By then our video cards will be pretty ancient...

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
I highly doubt you'll see WASD controls or anything drastically different - they seemed to have gone to great lengths to make it like Diablo II, only more awesome.

Personally, I'm skeptical this will run on any Macs sporting GMA950s. Don't even ask about Power PCs.

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA

3rd person controllable camera is PRECISELY why I hate many new games. I dislike having to manipulate the stupid camera in the middle of battles, especially when I turn and it zooms way-in because I'm against a wall or something stupid like that.

Another example: Rollercoaster Tycoon. I loved the first two versions without the "full 3D, moveable camera". RCT3? Junk, IMHO.

By knowing the angle the camera will always be at, the devs and artists can ensure that the graphics look good and don't have clipping issues.

Not every game *has* to have the "latest and newest" bells and whistles just because it can be done. Gameplay is tops and always will be. If people want massive 3D effects and other whiz-bang fluff, they can get some really good bargains in the $19.99 discount bin since it's filled with recent releases that failed to deliver on gameplay and instead went for wiz-bang graphics entirely... Me? I'll take a good game instead, please.

Mike

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
I would doubt WASD controls with a first person option. This is Diablo folks. Traditional click and slash isometric action. Prepare to go through a mouse or two before it is all said and done ;)

I can't wait. I might even buy the DII battle chest so I can play DII all over again. My original DII disk was version 1.0 and didn't have the mac version on it.

Wow has it really been 8 years since DII.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
And the original DII had a max resolution of 640x480, right?

LOD allowed 800x600 though.

People just got to be willing to move with the times.

Using a ***THREEDEE!!!!!*** control scheme, just because you can, is not "moving with the times", it is called "bad gameplay." It's like lens flares and bloom. Overdone, and not cool anymore except when used sparingly.

--Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.