PDA

View Full Version : New buyer question: can I sync my new iPod Touch in the Apple Store?

copydeskcat
Jun 28, 2008, 12:46 PM
I'm heading to Florida in 5 days (I live in the UK), where I'll be buying my iPod Touch (well, I'll hang off as long as possible to try and catch a price-drop or upgrade after 11 July).

However, it's looking unlikely that I'll have my laptop with me, so I won't be able to sync up to my iTunes library until I get back home to the UK.

Do you think the staff in the Apple Store would sync and register it for me, so that I can at least use the wi-fi etc. until I get home? I don't want any music or videos on it until I get home, so I don't need anything like that.

kornyboy
Jun 28, 2008, 01:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

You should be able to use wifi directly out of the box. You may need to pick up a power brick at the Apple Store so that you can charge it. I'm not sure if it comes with one. Maybe I don't understand your question.

copydeskcat
Jun 28, 2008, 01:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

You should be able to use wifi directly out of the box. You may need to pick up a power brick at the Apple Store so that you can charge it. I'm not sure if it comes with one. Maybe I don't understand your question.

Thanks.

To explain... as far as I'm aware, when you first open the Touch out of the box, you can't use it at all unless you sync it with iTunes first and register it. Obviously, I won't be able to do that, as I won't have my laptop with me.

All I'll need is the thing synced and registered so that I can use the wi-fi etc.

maclover001
Jun 28, 2008, 02:37 PM
You can't use it until it's synced. Just open the box, and plug your Touch into one of the demo model computers :D

EvanLugh
Jun 29, 2008, 09:11 AM
YES! I did this!

I said (In Cali) can I make sure it works this is 'my last day' (actually first)? And Make sure everything syncs as i don't live near an apple store at home (UK)..
I got 5 episodes of the office and some good 400 songs.
Just be nice, ask your girl to do it (wife, fiancee whomever). Mine did and did 'the look', she was straight in. :confused:

copydeskcat
Jun 29, 2008, 11:52 AM
YES! I did this!

I said (In Cali) can I make sure it works this is 'my last day' (actually first)? And Make sure everything syncs as i don't live near an apple store at home (UK)..
I got 5 episodes of the office and some good 400 songs.
Just be nice, ask your girl to do it (wife, fiancee whomever). Mine did and did 'the look', she was straight in. :confused:

Now you're talking. :)

EvanLugh
Jun 29, 2008, 12:08 PM
Heh, I was chuffed to bits when they did it, US Office is much funnier than UK version, and i got to keep the songs DRM Free. Wahey. Good luck.

EDIT: Do it from a a mac/ipod stand which has movies. :)

copydeskcat
Jun 29, 2008, 12:55 PM
Heh, I was chuffed to bits when they did it, US Office is much funnier than UK version, and i got to keep the songs DRM Free. Wahey. Good luck.

EDIT: Do it from a a mac/ipod stand which has movies. :)

Cool - thanks.

----------One last question - is there a stand-alone mains charger for the iPod Touch I can buy, so that I can keep the thing charged up while I'm away?-------------

Scratch that - I'm getting an FM transmitter with in-car charger.

EvanLugh
Jun 29, 2008, 01:00 PM
Yeah you can it's just the usual wall charger, you put your USB Cable with it.
I don't use my FM transmitter anymore, the signal was so poor i bought a casette with aux in.

copydeskcat
Jun 29, 2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah you can it's just the usual wall charger, you put your USB Cable with it.
I don't use my FM transmitter anymore, the signal was so poor i bought a casette with aux in.

Thanks - I've heard varying reports about the FM transmitters. I reckon I'll still get one though, as I have a CD player in my car, and I'm not sure how I'd go about getting tunes to play through it from the iPod....