Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atomheartmother

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
So I've been thinking about the best way to play my iPod in my car; I'm kind of tired of using headphones while driving (I have to crank it up, can't open window, etc.). So what other options do I have?

I've considered FM transmitters, but they don't always seem to work well. Considering that you could easily drop $50 on a decent FM transmitter, why not just go with a car stereo with an AUX input right on the front of the stereo. Are there any downsides to this? They have car stereos at Wal-Mart (and other places, I assume) with AUX inputs for as little as $70. I can probably snag one off of eBay for even cheaper.

So are there any downsides to going this route? Obviously, they'll probably be a pain to install, but how do they work with an iPod (Touch)?

fuzorsilverbolt

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
ipod radio adapter

There are also radios with actual ipod specific adaptors that can charge your ipod as well as control the ipod from the radio itself. What car do you have. Year Make model?

I bought a Pioneer deck that has a cable going to the glovebox which plugs into my iPod (and keeps it charged). Its cool because I can control the iPod via the deck (shows Artist, Song, etc.) plus it is all hidden. If you do go this route you may want to pick up another iPod because it is so handy to just keep it in there. :D :cool:

Are you against an aftermarket stereo, or are you trying to find a cheap fix? I don't know your exact situation but your local Best Buy (or whatever) should be able to make you very happy for under two bills... :)

Otherwise FM transmitters are okay and affordable but kinda lower quality/overall performance/appearance... ;)

Neo110503

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
The aux route also has not that great of sound quality if you are looking for near digital sound quality.

atomheartmother

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
The aux route also has not that great of sound quality if you are looking for near digital sound quality.

Really? Crutchfield lists it as the best quality. You're plugging it directly into the stereo. I don't see how you could get better sound quality from a car stereo.

Anyway, I've dismissed an aftermarket radio. I'll need a special $80 adapter thing, which will make this too expensive.

I'm now considering an auxiliary input converter box. However, I need to find one compatible with my car's factory stereo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.