Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Ok, here's the scoop. I just got a brand new G4 iBook for my wife yesterday. I have been busy transferring all her files over to it, as well as installing a bunch of software on it. After that was all done I figured it was a good time to run DiskWarrior to optomize the directory since things are probably a little out of order, and I wanted it all organized sequentially on the drive before I handed it off to her. But when I try to boot up off the DW CD I get a kernal panic every time.

I just finished upgrading my PBook to Panther, and DW runs fine on it. I can boot up off the DW CD from my PBook, but not the iBook. So what gives? I'm pretty sure it's not Panther's fault, since it works on my computer, so I suspect hardware incompatibility? But that seems really weird that one G4 laptop is fine and another G4 laptop isn't.

Any ideas?

Edit:
I found this at their site, but it seems like that means it SHOULD boot off the CD but not run in Panther.
DiskWarrior 3.0 and Mac OS X v. 10.3

DiskWarrior 3.0 will not run while started up under Mac OS X v. 10.3 (Panther). DiskWarrior 3.0 can be used to safely rebuild the directory of a disk (including a disk with file journaling and/or FileVault enabled) with Mac OS X v. 10.3 by starting up from your current DiskWarrior 3.0 CD. A free updater allowing DiskWarrior to run while started from Mac OS X v. 10.3 is forthcoming.

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
No it won't work

Alsoft's site does say that it won't work with the G4 iBooks, I'm sorry.

Tim

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Ah I see where it says that. I wonder why it won't work on the iBook? Very strange. I also wonder if they will be able to fix it. If not I guess I wasted the money...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.