PDA

View Full Version : What Apps are you hoping for?

displaced
Jun 29, 2008, 08:27 AM
Thought I'd find out what Apps people are hoping for or looking forward to for their iPod touch?

My wish-list would include:

Slingbox client
Something to allow browsing of AFP or SMB shared folders
An eBook reader
A lightweight media browser which works on a folder of files (fits in with the shared folder support above)
Blogging software

skinnylegs
Jun 29, 2008, 08:32 AM
Three letters.....

MMS

displaced
Jun 29, 2008, 08:33 AM
Three letters.....

MMS

On the iPod touch??

ipodtouchy333
Jun 29, 2008, 08:34 AM
Three letters.....

MMS

Wait, isn't this an ipod TOUCH forum and not an iPhone one ? :confused:

Nickelz92
Jun 29, 2008, 08:34 AM
I'm kind of just keep my mind open to whatever the App Store will bring, which is hopefully a little bit of everything. But most definetly, I want to see an IM App.

About what percent of the Apps will require WiFi? I know no one really knows but i just want your opinion.

displaced
Jun 29, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm kind of just keep my mind open to whatever the App Store will bring, which is hopefully a little bit of everything. But most definetly, I want to see an IM App.

About what percent of the Apps will require WiFi? I know no one really knows but i just want your opinion.

yeah, IM is a good one.

As for wifi being required, I reckon it'll be utilised in quite a large portion of the apps. However, I trust developers are smart enough to implement good offline support so the apps works seamlessly with or without a connection (where possible). For example a blogging app should work similarly to Mail so that posts are stored, then published when possible.

Or, in the case of an IM app, it could offer to send a message via email (to be sent when in range of an access point)

cheekybobcat
Jun 29, 2008, 08:58 AM
Three letters.....

MMS

One Word...

iPhone

scialex
Jun 29, 2008, 10:00 AM
Thought I'd find out what Apps people are hoping for or looking forward to for their iPod touch?

My wish-list would include:

Slingbox client
Something to allow browsing of AFP or SMB shared folders
An eBook reader
A lightweight media browser which works on a folder of files (fits in with the shared folder support above)
Blogging software

e-book reader
a paint program
good cheap games:D:D:D:D

cjmal
Jun 29, 2008, 10:05 AM
We've already seen an AIM client, but i'm really hoping for an MSN messenger app, since most people I know use that.

DaveGee
Jun 29, 2008, 10:21 AM
We need some creative hardware developers before a few of my idea can be realized but here they are:

- iTunes Remote (Apple to the rescue)
- Home Automation Remote (couple in the works that I know of)
- Home Cam Monitoring (for people with cameras round the house/property)
- IR Solution for universal remote abilities (things are in the works)
- Bedside alarm clock with music on wake? (background app issues?)
- Caller ID for 'regular house phone' (background app issues?)
- VoIP client (*) yea we would need a mic/speaker add-on so not realistic but I can dream

Edit:

Would appear as if http://touchmods.wordpress.com/ has been hard at work doing all kinds of neat hardware hacks for the touch including mic and BT (they even have a gps project underway).

Dave

localoid
Jun 29, 2008, 11:49 AM
Personally, I hope Google will deliver some new apps and update some of the existing ones to include the latest features, etc. For example, the current maps at maps.google.com have the "terrain" feature which is missing in the current Google map app for the iPhone/touch. I'd be wonderful to be able to create a custom Google map for use w/the special iPhone/touch Google map app as well...

Google mobile for the iPhone/touch (http://www.google.com/mobile/apple/) has some interesting new mobile apps available but some work (fully or partially) and some don't work at all. I do prefer the Google mobile search over the default Google (non mobile) search that Safari currently uses as the default. -- the Google mobile ver. of search wraps nicely to the touch's small screen.

bndoarn
Jun 29, 2008, 11:51 AM
i wanna see a better weather app. one with live radar, watches/warnings, chance of rain, live news reports (like the MLB thing but with weather), etc.

localoid
Jun 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
i wanna see a better weather app. one with live radar, watches/warnings, chance of rain, live news reports (like the MLB thing but with weather), etc.

A (better) weather app is certainly needed... at least tell me the chance of precipitation for Pete's sake! ;)

Meanwhile, until there's something better designed specifically for small screen, I've been using Doppler Radar and Severe Weather Alerts Gadget (http://www.googleminiapps.com/tools/doppler-radar-and-severe-weather-alerts-gadget/) which is a Google mini app "gadget" which can be added to my iGoogle page. It (at least) provides doppler map, short term forecast and warning/watches. The iGoogle pages format to the small screen fairly well, but ther are (currently at least) technical glitches that show up when using it w/the touch...

peapody
Jun 29, 2008, 01:11 PM
Is there a google talk one yet? Would like that and one for AIM.

I dunno, I just got my touch, so I am new to the worlds of 3rd party apps.

sportsfrk214
Jun 29, 2008, 05:26 PM
Bejeweled. It is, in my opinion, the best game currently available for the Touch (not including Jailbreaking). It would be nice to have the game whenever I want. Yes, I know I can load the app before I go out, but it would be nice to just have unrestricted access to it whenever I want.

kymac
Jun 29, 2008, 05:40 PM
ichat! or some kind of app that turns the accelerometer off. please.

peapody
Jun 29, 2008, 05:51 PM
Is there an app for a different webbrowser besides safari? I wish there was a firefox one or something.

iRebecca27
Jun 29, 2008, 05:54 PM
Public Transportation Routes

AceFernalld
Jun 29, 2008, 06:36 PM
AIM,
Super Monkey Ball
Apple's remote App
Other Apps that are going to be released by :apple: through the App Store Sketches
Band
Other cool games
Other free useful applications

jamesarm97
Jun 29, 2008, 06:57 PM
eWallet or secure information manager

martychang
Jun 29, 2008, 08:42 PM
Terminal.. fat chance though :rolleyes:

David G.
Jun 29, 2008, 10:43 PM
Terminal.. fat chance though :rolleyes:

I wonder how long an iPod touch could run the terminal command "yes"?

BornAgainMac
Jun 29, 2008, 11:26 PM
A ssh client would be nice. I would like to to be able to connect to my servers at work at the UNIX prompt when I can't get back home easily. I hope it isn't too expensive if it is available. I am not even sure if the API will make that possible.

I also would like to play World of Warcraft on it. Todo and Note sync should be part of Mobile Me but it looks like it will have to be done by third party developers.

BillyBobBongo
Jun 30, 2008, 12:12 AM
I'd really like to see a proper 'To Do List' application that links through 'mobileMe' to my other products. Notes just doesn't cut it!

A version of Adium for the iPod Touch wouldn't go a miss either! :D

volsfan
Jun 30, 2008, 01:32 AM
I would like

something where I could buy tv shows straight from. My iPod

a money manager

dude963841
Jun 30, 2008, 01:45 AM
an app to edit microsoft office documents

sam10685
Jun 30, 2008, 04:58 AM
The Monopoly board game.
A dictionary.

That is all I need to survive the elements.

Michaud68
Jun 30, 2008, 06:25 AM
The Monopoly board game.
A dictionary.

that is all i need.

a dictoinery wuold be sweet:D

jeff127
Jun 30, 2008, 10:02 AM
Besides some games I'd like to see some intuitive apps that utilize the touch screen well. Besides that there is nothing I'm concerned for.

a dictoinery wuold be sweet:D

Yes, and clearly rather useful for you. :p

Jeff.

Metsfan7450
Jun 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
I would love a Slingbox app added to the Touch. Watching my own DirecTV programming on my Touch would be AMAZING to me! Any word on whether or not it will happen?

The MLB app sounds awesome! Is that something that comes with the 2.0 update or is it a separate app we need to purchase?

Nickelz92
Jun 30, 2008, 01:45 PM
We've already seen an AIM client

If you're referring to the TinyBuddy Web App, it's choppy and I'm hoping that someone releases a native IM client. Hopefully they'll include various forms of IM.

akm3
Jun 30, 2008, 02:23 PM
Citrix ICA client would be...awesome...Although I don't know how you would actually interact and use it.

Similarly, the ability to remote control other macs on my LAN would be killer.

Some RPG's would be fun :)

tompon1923
Jun 30, 2008, 02:34 PM
A torrent client (transmission for Itouch or something). Just load a torrent on it, wait a day or two and it is ready!!:D

TheSpaz
Jun 30, 2008, 02:56 PM
Sketches
AIM Client
Remote App
VNC Client
IRC Client

Am I missing anything?

GuillaumeB
Jun 30, 2008, 03:17 PM
I want Google to come up with a MobileMe competitor with the Push Notification System

sportsfrk214
Jun 30, 2008, 03:41 PM
The MLB app sounds awesome! Is that something that comes with the 2.0 update or is it a separate app we need to purchase?

It doesn't come with 2.0, it's going to need to be purchased through the App Store. I read somewhere that you may have to pay a small fee per season in order to keep using it, such as $5 or $10. This is just something I heard though, we'll have to wait and see what MLB wants to do :)

sseelman
Jun 30, 2008, 07:04 PM
Netflix instant watching player. Would be a fantastic addition.

MacBlackBook22
Jul 1, 2008, 02:23 PM
I so want an eReader app. With this I can finally ditch my palm. I travel a lot and have lots of books downloaded on my palm for reading. I really want to have the itouch go with me then I can have movies and music as well to keep me entertained.

natezire71
Jul 1, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hopefully a Facebook App, defiantly and AIM App, maybe a database of lyrics, maybe a Gamefly App for you Game Q, or (It'd be REALLY cool) an App where I could access files from a computer in my network...

COOL STUFF:D

4DThinker
Jul 1, 2008, 06:39 PM
My wife is hoping every medical drug interaction app she has on her palm is available on the Touch. She'd love to have that pill identifier app they demo'd.

I'd love to see more musical instruments. Even wholey original ones that take advantage of every hardware feature the Touch has.

kabunaru
Jul 1, 2008, 06:43 PM
Solitaire
Some arcade game
World Daylight Map (it shows where it's day and night around the world)
iStat Pro iPod Touch/iPhone version

dresum
Jul 1, 2008, 08:10 PM
Flash video support or a flv player similar to the youtube player.

peapody
Jul 1, 2008, 08:29 PM
My wife is hoping every medical drug interaction app she has on her palm is available on the Touch. She'd love to have that pill identifier app they demo'd.

I'd love to see more musical instruments. Even wholey original ones that take advantage of every hardware feature the Touch has.

I am waiting for epocrates to be native on the ipod touch. I believe that was demo'ed at macworld...or maybe its on there already. I dunno. I am a new user.

lucky7and3
Jul 2, 2008, 12:39 PM
Is it true 70% of the apps will be free if so i think thats ace i herd it on some website i hope theres some truth.

Canuckk
Jul 2, 2008, 02:13 PM
-A Word processor (or at least a text editor better then Notes)
-Wikipedia app
-Flash support
-Firefox for iPhone (there's a prototype that already exists, Google it)
-MSN app (I don't use AIM)

EvanLugh
Jul 2, 2008, 04:25 PM
I want Google to come up with a MobileMe competitor with the Push Notification System

+1000!

That would be immense.

qacjared
Jul 2, 2008, 07:47 PM
Webkit Nighties
An version of Apples Dictionary and Thesaurus widget for CocoaTouch
Unit Convertor
Last.fm scrobber
Taskbar notifier
Sketches
"Music Quiz for iPhone"
Adium Touch
Graphing Calculator.
Plaxo Mobile Contact/Calendar Sync
Native Remote Buddy
VLC
Mobile VNC
Growl but that would never happen

Software to use your ipod as a multi touch trackpad when it is plugged into your mac. This would be a great way to spread multi-touch on the mac to those who have bought 2 apple products.

Id love the apple remote to control more than just iTunes. Id love it to work with an Apple TV.

Some cool bonjour social network that unlike the zune would work since there are millions upon millions of iPhones and Touches out there.

I'd love for notes on the iPhone/Touch to sync to an imap folder just like they do on my mac.

qacjared
Jul 2, 2008, 07:49 PM

for mail at-least I have a jail-broken touch that is set to check for email every minite and it works pretty well over gmail imap.

tompon1923
Jul 6, 2008, 04:25 AM
third party Divx or Xvid support, no converting and streaming vids.
this would save me a couple of hours converting.

sargent bannana
Jul 6, 2008, 04:42 AM
i am really looking forward to games (super monkeyball)
useful free stuff (organizer)
myspace app
aim app (i hope)
photo editor
a mini garge band (music editor)
nothing over $10
twitter?
VoIP i can only hope

eplchamps0304
Jul 6, 2008, 08:01 AM

why would apple allow that.

TheSpaz
Jul 6, 2008, 08:07 AM
Screen Sharing or VNC!!!

sunfast
Jul 6, 2008, 08:11 AM
It'll never happen, but I'd love some console emulators without having to JB

anti-microsoft
Jul 6, 2008, 08:18 AM
Mine in no order at all:

1. Adium
2. Super Monkey Ball
3. Car Racing Game
4. Chess
5. Tetris
6. iTunes Remote
7. Firefox
8. Bejeweled
9. Office:touch '08:rolleyes:
10. Blogging App

Andrew07
Jul 6, 2008, 01:54 PM
I think a Spanish-English dictionary would be great

What do you guys think of a flashcard app? Write out notes on your computer (or on touch/iPhone) and be able to use different fonts and colors, maybe copy and paste graphics (diagrams, etc), swipe your finger across the screen to "flip" to the other side of the flashcard...

wizard
Jul 6, 2008, 03:07 PM
I see this as the number one issue. That is improve/fix/debug the apps that are already there. This can mean simple things like horizontal keyboard support to a vastly improved feature set in Mail. I just want the core to be a bit faster and a lot more stable. Lastly syncing could use some improvements.

In any event:
Beyond that a To Do system integrated with a Mac application.
Developer acceptance - I got ideas for Apps I'd like to get on line with AppStore.
Apple needs to fall off the horse that says no interpreters. I'd like to see a Mac Ruby or Mac Python interpreter with a bias towards Python. The approach would be to tie it to and IDE of some sort to form an execution environment.
Web server. This of course has to run in background. It does provide an alternative method of delivering small user apps. With Apples improvements to Java Script it might make a reasonable alternative to Python.
An old school terminal emulator. This is something Apple should be supporting honestly.
Mah-jong. Especially if the guys that wrote Gnome Mah-jong could port it over. Make it multi player compatible/capable to boot.
A movie theatre app. That is something that keeps itself up to date with respect to what the local movie theatres are playing. The big problem here is that background apps don't seem to make Apple happy and the times I'm most likely to want to use the data I'm not near a wifi connection. This brings me to my biggest grip about version 2 software, background apps are key to making portable hardware really shine.
Same thing here with a stock tracking app. It would be great if it could run in back ground and make intelligent notifications in the foreground. Hopefully Apple will correct this limitation.
The list here could be endless. I consider this a good platform for many things done on a laptop and just as many people would never do on a laptop.

Thanks
Dave

B. Hunter
Jul 7, 2008, 02:02 AM
Potential products for the iPhone & Touch:

iSilo
http://forum.isilo.com/showthread.php?p=11527
Note that the Admin confirms they are working on it.

eReader
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2008...th-the-iphone/
http://www.unwiredview.com/2008/06/1...-in-the-works/

MobiPocket
http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/05/iphone-getting.html

halpin
Jul 7, 2008, 11:17 AM
Leopard's dictionary (Including the Jp/Eng translator). Since the iPhone is being launched in Japan, it would be incredibly stupid not to include this app, or at least allow people to buy it: combine a phone, ipod and an electronic dictionary.
I hope we see a lot of development from the Japanese community, with lots of cool games, but also language learning tools that can be bought for the DS.
Ebook Reader!
Text Editor.

juanster
Jul 7, 2008, 11:18 AM
i really really want a nike+iphone app, so that i can run with my iPhone

FishStik5
Jul 7, 2008, 01:55 PM
Is there a google talk one yet? Would like that and one for AIM.

I dunno, I just got my touch, so I am new to the worlds of 3rd party apps.

Yeah, Google recently made a Web App for Google Talk, so you can use that right away. Also, the AIM one is going to be a free download at the launch of the App Store, so yeah, you got both Google Talk and AIM on your iPod.

bradleyjx
Jul 7, 2008, 03:38 PM
When it comes down to it, I need to have replacements for a few specific things on my 1.1.4 unlocked touch, whether it comes through official apps or through other means... - VoIP. I already use my touch (+ a mic) somewhat for this, and in a little over a month I'm ditching my cell while I'm 1/2 way around the world for a semester, so this would be one of the easiest ways for me to stay in touch on the cheap. - A translation dictionary for Japanese and English. There's an app I have that has been a savior too many times for me to just abandon it without a sufficient replacement. - An app (or way) to sync my touch calendar with Google calendars. There are a bunch of other things I could ask for, (I have ~35 unofficial apps right now) but as long as I have those three somehow accessible, I can easily exchange the losses for the gains of the app store, and some of the random new features. (one specific change/addition in how the iPod handles kanji, and I might just take the 2.0 update without those above apps)

Bjohnson33
Jul 7, 2008, 04:29 PM
Mine in no order at all:

1. Adium
2. Super Monkey Ball
3. Car Racing Game
4. Chess
5. Tetris
6. iTunes Remote
7. Firefox
8. Bejeweled
10. Blogging App

I definitely would love Adium as well - one of my all-time favourite Mac apps!

anti-microsoft
Jul 7, 2008, 04:44 PM
I definitely would love Adium as well - one of my all-time favourite Mac apps!

Me too! They do say they are going to bring it to Touch OS X (or at least try to): http://adiumx.com/blog/2008/03/adium-and-the-iphone/

a104375
Jul 7, 2008, 04:45 PM
Mine in no order at all:

1.Adium
2. Super Monkey Ball
3. Car Racing Game
4. Chess
5. Tetris
6. iTunes Remote
7. Firefox
8. Bejeweled
10. Blogging App

those 3 things that are bolded and then like a skype program and a mic addon

sportsfrk214
Jul 7, 2008, 09:54 PM
Mine in no order at all:

1. Adium
2. Super Monkey Ball
3. Car Racing Game
4. Chess
5. Tetris
6. iTunes Remote
7. Firefox
8. Bejeweled
10. Blogging App

Super Monkey Ball and the iTunes Remote are both confirmed, and both should be available on launch day.

buffalo
Jul 7, 2008, 11:19 PM
I think a Spanish-English dictionary would be great

+1

Does anybody know of a good Spanish-English dictionary app for Mac OSX? Something of similar quality to the Dictionary app...