Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Just wondering what subwoofer I should get for my new iMac - the Pro Speakers are nice, but I need more bass! I know of the iSub, but just wondering if that's any good, and what else is out there. Also, I assume no matter what sub I get, it will be compatible and be able to physically plug into my iMac? (I use the line-in port for a sub, do I?)

Thanks in advance!

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
klipsch THX certified

I have a Klipsch (200 watt) 2.1 System ~$179. Klipsch sound system just beats everything else. Makes me wonder why people buy the Apple Pro Speaker. You'll pay for it!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Re: klipsch THX certified

Originally posted by Chomolungma
I have a Klipsch (200 watt) 2.1 System ~$179. Klipsch sound system just beats everything else. Makes me wonder why people buy the Apple Pro Speaker. You'll pay for it!

I only have my Pro Speakers since they came with my iMac. ;) Does Klipsch sell their subs separately, or would I need to buy the 2.1 system?

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
Re: Sub Recommendations for G4 iMac?

I far as I know, the 2.1 System only comes complete. Be that as it may, you will be glad you brought the speakers too. Assuming you want to spend this much. Best Buy has this on display, so you may want to test it out. it is compatible with your iMac. Compatibility it not really an issue with speaker systems.

For 200 watt system, the subwoofer vibrate my medicine cabinet in my bathroom ~20 feet way.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
the isub is no longer made. I have an aiwa sub hooked to 2 paradigm full size stereo speakers on my comp. sounds amazing when I watch a movie or play music.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by blue&whiteman
the isub is no longer made. I have an aiwa sub hooked to 2 paradigm full size stereo speakers on my comp. sounds amazing when I watch a movie or play music.

Cool - what's the wattage and cost of that aiwa sub?

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
my apology

to Shard~

I'm sorry I didnt' mean to "you pay for it" implying that you made a mistake with Apple Pro Speaker. I meant to say that you'll pay for the Klipsch system, should you want one.

again, I'm sorry. I didn't mean any harm.
:D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Re: my apology

Originally posted by Chomolungma
to Shard~

I'm sorry I didnt' mean to "you pay for it" implying that you made a mistake with Apple Pro Speaker. I meant to say that you'll pay for the Klipsch system, should you want one.

again, I'm sorry. I didn't mean any harm.
:D
No apology necessary, but thanks anyway Chomolungma! I actually understood what you meant the first time, but I appreciate the clarification! :cool:

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by ~Shard~
Cool - what's the wattage and cost of that aiwa sub?

it was 120 canadian for the sub and the 2 speakers it came with. had the stereo speakers sitting in a closet collecting dust so I hooked them up. they sound much better than the originals. think its about 15 per side plus whatever the sub is. loud enough to get complaints and keep is low since :)

its not that its really really loud but there is so much bass even when the bass volume on the sub is low

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Well I am the owner of Klipsch's Promedia 4.1 and am currently using their 4.2 setup hooked up to 3 of their daisy chainable Subwoofers. You could hook up their SWS sub but at $199.99 you're better off plunking down the $169-179(depending where and whom you buy it from) for their Promedia 2.1 system. The sub included with the 2.1 system is no slouch and handily woops any of its rivals sub. Albeit it's not one of the more cheaper 2.1 systems, I've yet to hear another 2.1 setup that can rival it. On a side note, you may want to look at Klipsch's new 2.1 GMX model. Not as powerful as the original 2.1 but I'm sure you can find it lower than its $149.99 markup off of Klipsch's website. I haven't heard this system first hand so I wouldn't know its highs and lows. Here's the link for Klipsch's website and look for their Promedia section. Your ears will thank you. I'd buy more of their SWS subs but being here in Hawaii, they kill me on the shipping. My only hope is they open a Best Buy here and I can buy it from them.

http://www.klipsch.com/

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
I'll just add my vote for the Klipsch system. I use the 5.1 system, and it's awesome. It can't compete with HiFi systems, but it's perfect on my computerdesk, where I have very little room.

-KJ

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Sounds like Klipsch might be the way to go then! I'll do some research on prices and all that and probably pick something up for Xmas! Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info and advice. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.