PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook G4 harddrive compatibility

mmmdreg
Jun 29, 2008, 11:46 AM
Hi guys,

My powerbook is all banged up.. Anyway, the little needle-type thing in the power hole broke off so it's no longer operating..

I have a bunch of eMacs and iMac G5s/Intels around the house.. Can the powerbook harddrive connect to them so I can restore some data or do I need to find another solution?

Cheers,

George

varmit
Jun 29, 2008, 12:13 PM
Hi guys,

My powerbook is all banged up.. Anyway, the little needle-type thing in the power hole broke off so it's no longer operating..

I have a bunch of eMacs and iMac G5s/Intels around the house.. Can the powerbook harddrive connect to them so I can restore some data or do I need to find another solution?

Cheers,

George

Well, if you can get it to turn back on you can do a Target mode by connecting the powerbook to one of the other macs with a firewire cable. But you said the power button was broken, so you will probably have to take the drive out of the powerbook.

If you take the drive out of the powerbook, you will need a laptop drive inclosure to put the drive into before connecting it to one of your other macs.

Either way, you can get data off the laptop's drive.

Consultant
Jun 29, 2008, 12:20 PM
Did the power adapter broke on the adapter side (white connecting part) or the laptop side? If it broke on the adapter side you can just get another adapter.

Why don't you have some service provider look into it first? 12" G4 laptops are really hard to get.

telecomm
Jun 29, 2008, 12:31 PM
Yes, you could take out the hard drive and put it in an external case. I've done that with the old drive from my 12" PB. You would even be able to boot a (PPC) Mac from that drive if you got a firewire case.

I've got this (http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-Macally-2-5-USB-2-0-1394-Slim-Aluminum-Enclosure-Storage) one.

mmmdreg
Jun 29, 2008, 11:03 PM
Did the power adapter broke on the adapter side (white connecting part) or the laptop side? If it broke on the adapter side you can just get another adapter.

Why don't you have some service provider look into it first? 12" G4 laptops are really hard to get.

It's on its last legs anyway.. quite banged up by my brother..

It broke on the laptop side and I don't think it's really worth getting fixed so i guess I'll go down the route of a case.. Thanks for the help =)