Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Mini has been fine for months (latest revision)

Today the Fan has got stuck at full RPM. Nothing different, no intensive work etc.

Istat was reporting that cpu a was at 32 degress and cpu b (which became cpu a) at 75. Now istat cant find any fans in the system.

Have tried an smbus and pram reset, machine is physically cold and no hot air coming out... cant take it back to apple.

it fires up at full power and stays like it. any help appreciated.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Also their is no audible drop in fan speed weither, turn of , on or reset. It just goes to 6000rpm straight of, and its randomnly started, no new software, machine not moved, fully ventalied and its actually cold to the touch!

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
Have you opened up your mini lately? If so, I'd bet that the tiny two wire fan sensor connector was not re-connected, which will cause the fan to run at full speed.

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Yes the mini was opened but been put togetehre about two weeks, smc fan control reports thats its doing 000rpm and 0c. so now wont detect any fans yet its running at full pelt.

ilovebananas

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
england
As per previous poster it definitely sounds like fan control cable isn't connected. I may not have been fully reinserted when mini was put back together and has jumped out when machine was moved.
Just pop mini open and make sure little cable at the front is fully pushed in.

I say this cos I had same problem. Reassembled, worked fine for 10 minutes, then I moved it back to its normal position. Fan went crazy and not detected, reopened and cable was barely pushed in (my bad)

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
just took mini apart: fan and all compoents sat in fine.

istat is reporting i have two cpu A's? one at 30 degress another at 70?

jgbr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Problem solved: had to rip machine apart and bolt the cpu heatsink back down... cheap plastic clips..grrrr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.