Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shreyam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm a college student and was wishing to use the back to college offer on apple.com. However, I'm really confused. Should I get the black macbook which costs 1399 after the college deal plus a 3g iphone for 199. Or should I buy a macbook air which costs 1699 plus a free ipod touch. Please let me know your opinions and the reason why by stating the pros and cons influencing each decision. Thanks for all the help. i appreciate it.

GO :apple::D

Garemz

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Macbook All the way!!!

The Macbook Air sucks big time. My wife and I both had the MAcbook Air, we took ours back after to many CoreShut downs.

Stay Away from the Air

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
3G iphone? Are you sure you want to pay the pricey phone plans for 3 years? Do the math, that's many more hundreds for dollars.

As for the laptop, I have both. Portability is important, so I adjust my work/life around so I can use MBA all the time. Wife is now using be blackbook. But if weight is not an issue, I definitely would use the blackbook. With much faster processors, much more RAM and HDD space, I can do anything on that beast!

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
MI
As someone who has owned both machines, I would say if it is your only machine then get the MacBook. For me my main machine is a 24" iMac, so the intensive things I do, get done there and the MBA is a superb portable that I can take with me daily. Bottom line if you have another machine, MBA. Only one machine, MB. FWIW

shreyam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
thanks

hey guys, thanks for your opinions, as a newbie on macrumors, it's really comforting knowing that the users of this forum are so cooperative.

Cheers

Caralvarez24

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Orlando, Fl
As a fellow college student I will say this:

If you are going to take it to classs everyday and generally bring it with you everywhere the MBA is nice because of its low weight and size. I think the newer MBAs are not as bad with the core shutdowns as the first wave of them were cause I have had mine for 3 months and so far so good. Ive tested it using a stress test and it held up.

That being said the MB is light also and has the built in optical drive and the extra USB ports. Those two things are really nice to have. If it is going to be used at a desk for a good portion of time the MB would give you less headaches cause of those two things.

I won my MBA in a raffle so I cannot complain much. That being said if I was buying new I would probably save the money and buy a MB.

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
I love my Air. But, I've got a nice imac on my desk as well.

My son is about to leave for college. He's got a nice tricked out gaming PC desktop. He can't decide which laptop he wants at this point. I"ll spring 100% for a macbook, but he's got to pay the difference if he wants the pro or the air. Much different decision making process it appears when the student has some of their own money involved.

His g/f just got a macbook pro and it's severe overkill for her. But daddy bought it 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.